Why become a member? ×

Rumble 500 vs 100 at low volume for home practice?

41Hz

As a relative beginner I'm not yet in a band but that is my longer term aim.

I like the idea of getting a rumble 500 to future proof for my potential future stage debut, but wondered how these performed at home practice volumes which it would be used for in the first instance.

I read a few comments saying amps need turning up a bit to get a good tone.

So would a rumble 100 (or even a 40) sound better than a rumble 500 at very low levels?

Thanks!

no, that's what a volume control is for, I sometimes use mine at low volumes it sounds fine, it's not like you've got valves to overdrive is it? IMO the only reason to get a 100 is size (not weight, but the 500 can be a bit bulky) and price, if nether one is a particular problem I say go for the 500

I'd go for the 500. I had one and it's fine for using at home.

I always tend to 'er' on the side of caution and get as much volume, so to speak, as I can. I bought the 500 I had because I wasn't in a band but wanted to make sure that if I did join one I didn't have to sell a small combo to fund getting something to keep up with a band. Good job I did as within 2 months of buying it I was back in practice studios. :)

When I need to play through an amp at home I play quietly through my stage gear.

To me it's a waste of money to buy gear I'm only going to play at home.

I'm not bothered about the sound at home. I'm practising so the important bit is getting the fingers and brain around the new part and not what it sounds like.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1465089074' post='3065243']

I'm not bothered about the sound at home. I'm practising so the important bit is getting the fingers and brain around the new part and not what it sounds like.
[/quote]this, when I practice at home I plug into my laptop and use headphones and play along to tracks, if needed I use audacity to slow stuff down, change key, and work things out

I just did an outside gig with my Rumble 500. It was in the pub car park with the amp about a metre away from a brick wall. I had my master volume on about 3 (around 9 o'clock) and it still sounded great.

I don't use it for practice at home though :D

Edited by Norris

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1465381458' post='3067638']
. . . . also, you're practising.

Worry about your sound when you're in a band and gigging.
[/quote]

True. Most of us learnt while playing through a right pile of cr*p - from tiny transistor amps to the family hi-fi via a pile of spaghetti style adapter cables (guilty as charged!)

There will be plenty of time to sort out a gigging rig. By that time you'll be GASing over the latest MegaRig Superheft 3000 (TM) anyway :D

You might want to check out the 200 though. It comes in the same box as the 500, so is more the little brother spec-wise (IIRC - it's been some time since I looked!). That would probably do most venues anyway and would save a few pennies for buying your tenth bass off the forum :D