Why become a member? ×

A week off: Looking to try new gear

smaz

So, I finally have a week off work, and have nothing planned as of yet. I'm hoping to pop down to Barefaced in Brighton, which will probably mean a visit to GAK too.

I'm looking at trying some new gear - in particular, amp heads but trying a few basses along the way would be great.

I'm based in Basingstoke, so ideally looking for places in/near Hampshire. Does anyone have any recommendations of places to check out?

Cheers :)

Edit: Ideally I'd like to take my Barefaced cab along to try anything with... :)

Edited by smaz

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1464733416' post='3062096']
Ok - so I'm biased but BassGear is in Twyford which isn't very far from Hampshire at all and has a big range of amps and two demo rooms :)
[/quote]

I'm not biased, but would also recommend Bass Gear. Easier to get to as well!

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1464733416' post='3062096']
Ok - so I'm biased but BassGear is in Twyford which isn't very far from Hampshire at all and has a big range of amps and two demo rooms :)
[/quote]

I've been meaning to pop there for ages after buying a rather nice Harvest leather strap at last years LBGS. Maybe I shall make a visit at long last!

I'm biased, only because they gave such great service - Make sure you do that visit to Twyford. Also, if you like looking at interesting old guitars (not many basses), when you are in Brighton visit Mudpie Music in Trafalgar Street (just down from station).

[quote name='smaz' timestamp='1464736267' post='3062129']
I've been meaning to pop there for ages after buying a rather nice Harvest leather strap at last years LBGS. Maybe I shall make a visit at long last!
[/quote]

Just checked and it's 45 mins by car but only 35 mins by train - the store is right next to the station too!

There's nowhere of any real note in Hampshire for bass stuff. Nevada Music which was in Portsmouth had a gradual annual decline in bass gear, it's now been taken over by PMT and is still working to get stock levels back up and changed over from the buyout, or at least it was last time I was there about 2 weeks ago!

I'd personally be heading to Brighton for GAK, Twyford for BassGear, Leamington Spa for Bass Direct, and then in to London for Denmark Street and Camden for all the others like Wunjo's and The Gallery.