Why become a member? ×

NRD - Epifani & Barefaced

CamdenRob

Following a second successful FedEx delivery in as many days (astonishing stuff I know), both parts of my new ultra portable rig have arrived.

I've been using a Glockenklang Blue Soul & Bergantino CN210 as my gigging / rehearsing rig for the last year or so, carting it around the London transport system on a fold up trolley. I love the tone of this set up, HiFi, loud and punchy, with a wonderful top end sparkle I haven't heard outside of Glockenklang setups.

Until the release of the One10 I'd not really considered that I could use anything smaller than the CN210 and still have sufficient welly for a live situation. My first port of call would have been Berg if they made a 110, but they do not... So I ordered up a pair of One10s as I'd also like the option of using just one, for acoustic type sessions.

With this in mind I also wanted a smaller lighter head, which would fit on top of the One10s. Again if Glockenklang made a micro amp I would have gone with that, but they do not... After looking around, the Epifani Piccolo took my fancy, with similar power and basic sound profile as the Glockenklang, clean, clean, and even cleaner, with tight, deep, lows.

Anyway enough waffle, here is the new setup;

I will hold off on a full review until I have used it in a band situation as this is the real test for it, but initially I am very pleased. I was wary of Barefaced gear having tried a Generation 1 Compact/Midget set up a couple of years back and I just couldn't dial out an awful middy honk whatever I tried... The One10s have a far more flattering tone, it might be coloured, scooped or whatever but I don't care because it sounds great :) As does the Epifani. It is not quite as clear and crisp as the Glockenklang but it is smaller and weighs half as much (2kg) and that is definitely a fair trade off for me in my public transportable rig situation.

Also impressed with the new barefaced covers, they fit very well and shall provide the necessary protection when I'm lugging them around the city on the tube...

So all in all a bit of a winner :) a 2kg amp and 2x 7kg cabs.

Edited by CamdenRob