Why become a member? ×

Scary Workloads

Got to agree about the 20 songs for an audition. It's ridiculous to expect that and I would have bowed out at this.

To me it actually screams "amateurs, steer clear".

We auditioned for guitarists about 15 or 16 months ago and they had 3 songs to learn, all different styles but we expected those 3 to be nailed 100%.

I think that's as much as you can reasonably expect. By all means have a go at anything you all think you can get through after that, after all the auditionee is auditioning us too.

Les

Every audition I have been to has been 4-6, normally 6 songs, of which most are easy enough and a couple are tricky.

I generally learn the 6 then have a simple runthrough of everything else on their set list that I know. I wouldn't learn 20 to any sort of decent standard for an audition!

About 4 or 5 years ago I was booked to play on a session for the princes of Lichtenstein's stag do. The best man, a classic Ferrari dealer as it happened, thought the two could play a bit, guitar and drums and would like to record an album as part of the big day. We all thought this was more than an little optimistic but I learnt about 15 of their favourite songs in a week, including roundabout by Yes and other proggy classics. We had a turbo run through of as much as possible before, but they could hardly play and it descended into endless soloing by the two of the them and guest keys player on wild thing and Johnny b Goode. Then they hoofed it without paying up and it took months for the studio owner to cough up as it turned out it was all his idea in the first place.

Sounds ok to me.

The more songs you learn the better a bass player you'll be. Even if you don't get the gig. Sound like most of the songs will be standard pop tunes so useful if you want to get into depping. Or at least if you're auditioning for this type of band again.

Develop big ears and a huge repertoire and you'll be in demand.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1462645777' post='3044689']
Sounds ok to me.

The more songs you learn the better a bass player you'll be. Even if you don't get the gig. Sound like most of the songs will be standard pop tunes so useful if you want to get into depping. Or at least if you're auditioning for this type of band again.

Develop big ears and a huge repertoire and you'll be in demand.
[/quote]

Sounds very questionable to me.

For those of us with decades of playing and experience behind us I don't think, at least for me, it would make me a better bass player.

There are tons of other options I use to keep up my chops and over all skill level. Not a questionable band that wants me to take the time out of my schedule to learn 20 songs for an audition.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462655795' post='3044771']

Sounds very questionable to me.

For those of us with decades of playing and experience behind us I don't think, at least for me, it would make me a better bass player.

There are tons of other options I use to keep up my chops and over all skill level. Not a questionable band that wants me to take the time out of my schedule to learn 20 songs for an audition.

Blue
[/quote]

If you have decades of playing behind you it wouldn't take you 10 hours to learn 20 songs.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1462656056' post='3044772']

If you have decades of playing behind you it wouldn't take you 10 hours to learn 20 songs.[/quote]

No, I would say those of us with decades of experience can spot "red flags" fairly easy.

I agree with Les. 20 songs for an audition screams "amateur operation" and "steer clear".

How long it takes to learn 20 songs is relative and not really the point here.IMO

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1462457078' post='3043168']
Have just spent a week learning – but far from mastering – 20 new (to me) songs for audition tonight. Thankfully most are thump-alongs, but there are a couple of trickier ones and I suppose the hardest thing is remembering arrangements, especially because the audio cues I hear on original recordings won't be anything like what I get at audition. Although the set list was sent a week ago my rehearsal time is governed by work; mercifully I work from home, but all in I'm guessing I've been able to devote about 10 hours to it.

So different from the old band where our typical introduction of ONE new song gave each of us about a month before we first rehearsed it together.

20 in one week is quite a stretch. Anyone else had a similar monster task and how much fear factor came into play?
[/quote]

I learnt 34 songs in a week.......phew (well I created cheat sheets). In the end I'd got the date wrong and turned up in the venue with my bass and cheat sheets a week early.

In the end it turned out I actually had 2 weeks to learn 34 songs.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1462657989' post='3044779']

I learnt 34 songs in a week.......phew (well I created cheat sheets). In the end I'd got the date wrong and turned up in the venue with my bass and cheat sheets a week early.

In the end it turned out I actually had 2 weeks to learn 34 songs.
[/quote]

Learning 34 songs in a week is commendable.

However;

Regardless,from the responses here, the consensus leans toward, 20 songs for a traditional audition is questionable.IMO

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462617959' post='3044386']
For a typical 3-4 song audition, of course not.

For a 20 song audition,yes.

The band would have to be paying a lot of money for me to make an exception.

Blue
[/quote]

I agree.

20 songs is a set.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462658322' post='3044782']
Regardless,from the responses here, the consensus leans toward,20 songs for a traditional audition is questionable.IMO

Blue
[/quote]

That wasn't an audition, that was a gig.

We had no audition......or rehearsal.

I suppose I should have been flattered that they felt I wouldn't need one.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462658322' post='3044782']
Regardless,from the responses here, the consensus leans toward, 20 songs for a traditional audition is questionable.IMO

Blue
[/quote]

Agreed.

I suppose one way of looking at it is your prepared to do 20 songs for an audition your chances of getting the gig are higher than usual as going from this thread there's a sh*t load of us not turning up for the audition anyway.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1462658810' post='3044789']

Agreed.

I suppose one way of looking at it is your prepared to do 20 songs for an audition your chances of getting the gig are higher than usual as going from this thread there's a sh*t load of us not turning up for the audition anyway.
[/quote]

I auditioned for a band a few years ago. Their bass player had to drop out at short notice. They had lots of well paid gigs lined up and needed someone urgently.

The guitarist auctioned 3 bass players on separate nights. I was second and after a few tunes was told the first guy had nailed it but he thought he should at least give me a chance.

Edited by TimR

I was sent my current band's setlist of about 50 songs (covers) and I only actually had to learn a few for the audition in order to be 90% up to speed. It was just a case of "Let's see what we can get through off that list."

Maybe the list of 20 songs for the OP just showed what they did and 'as many as possible' was desirable.

The only reason for a 20 song audition IMO is that theres a gig to be played and they need to check whether you could cover it. 3-4 songs is more than enough for a regular audition. Generally I'd know before the end of the first song whether the auditionee would work in the band.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1462706581' post='3044997']

I auditioned for a band a few years ago. Their bass player had to drop out at short notice. They had lots of well paid gigs lined up and needed someone urgently.

The guitarist auctioned 3 bass players on separate nights. I was second and after a few tunes was told the first guy had nailed it but he thought he should at least give me a chance.
[/quote]

Yeah and a lot of times your actually auditioning for a back up slot but they never tell you that.

Blue

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1462720979' post='3045169']
The only reason for a 20 song audition IMO is that theres a gig to be played and they need to check whether you could cover it. 3-4 songs is more than enough for a regular audition. Generally I'd know before the end of the first song whether the auditionee would work in the band.
[/quote]

That would gave been my first question;

"Why 20 songs"

Now,like you said if it's a band with several months of good paying bookings, then there's a reason and motivation for me to learn and audition 20 songs.

Blue

I wonder if the reluctance of bass players to learn tunes that they might never play bears any relation to why bass solos are so rarely performed and received well.

They're just tunes, it's not hard.

I don't understand.

I've had the same problem when it comes to learning new tunes with a band. Just go away, learn the tune and if it doesn't work, bin it, learn another one.

Too many closed minds considering we're supposed to be musicians.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1462631948' post='3044551']
I think bands should be a bit more open about where their development is up to. What came across in their ad as a quite experienced project was far closer to startup, and for some songs I appeared better prepared than them.
[/quote]

I've found this to be quite a common thing with answering "bass player wanted" ads over the years.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1462800681' post='3045719']
I wonder if the reluctance of bass players to learn tunes that they might never play bears any relation to why bass solos are so rarely performed and received well.

They're just tunes, it's not hard.

I don't understand.

I've had the same problem when it comes to learning new tunes with a band. Just go away, learn the tune and if it doesn't work, bin it, learn another one.

Too many closed minds considering we're supposed to be musicians.
[/quote]

Hi Tim

I don't think anyone is reluctant to learn new tunes for a band, it's just the 20 songs for an audition that seems to have people raising their eyebrows mate.

It is in my experience of auditions an unusual amount to learn, and it would appear the same for many who've commented on this.

Les

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1462800681' post='3045719']
[/quote]

Of course not - bass solos are so rarely performed and received well is because they are a sh*t idea, like a drum solo or even quite a lot of guitar solos.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1462801831' post='3045730']

Hi Tim

I don't think anyone is reluctant to learn new tunes for a band, it's just the 20 songs for an audition that seems to have people raising their eyebrows mate.

It is in my experience of auditions an unusual amount to learn, and it would appear the same for many who've commented on this.

Les
[/quote]

It's an unusual amount but not unheard of.

A few people have said "the only reason I'd", which implies that they're not adverse to doing it for certain reasons.

It's a really good way of sorting out people who are serious about playing music and being in a band. Would you want someone who has only got enough time, ability or motivation to learn three songs in a week in your band?

And we're talking about standard pop tunes here, not originals or prog rock opus'.

It's something we can all do if we're going to dep for £80 for one night.

20 songs to add to your armoury.

So what's the tipping point?

Edited by TimR

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1462812165' post='3045881']
Had to learn over 100 songs in around a month just after we secured our first cruise contract.
[/quote]

Learning is easy enough - remembering them again is something I doubt I could do!

I got a list of about 10 songs for an audition with a 'pick 3 or 4' to go through. Learnt them all and got the spot despite not being note-perfect. Partly due to the playing being good enough to impress and partly the attitude.