Why become a member? ×

Scary Workloads

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1462800681' post='3045719']
I wonder if the reluctance of bass players to learn tunes that they might never play bears any relation to why bass solos are so rarely performed and received well.

They're just tunes, it's not hard.

I don't understand.

I've had the same problem when it comes to learning new tunes with a band. Just go away, learn the tune and if it doesn't work, bin it, learn another one.

Too many closed minds considering we're supposed to be musicians.
[/quote]

The consensus is, requesting 20 songs for an audition is suspect a "red flag".

I agree.

Blue

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1462801831' post='3045730']

Hi Tim

I don't think anyone is reluctant to learn new tunes for a band, it's just the 20 songs for an audition that seems to have people raising their eyebrows mate.

It is in my experience of auditions an unusual amount to learn, and it would appear the same for many who've commented on this.

Les
[/quote]

Exactly

Blue

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1462812165' post='3045881']
Had to learn over 100 songs in around a month just after we secured our first cruise contract.

That took it out of me!
[/quote]

Understandable, a cruise contract makes a huge differences and a good reason to invest your time in learning that many songs.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1462812973' post='3045890']

It's an unusual amount but not unheard of.

A few people have said "the only reason I'd", which implies that they're not adverse to doing it for certain reasons.

It's a really good way of sorting out people who are serious about playing music and being in a band. Would you want someone who has only got enough time, ability or motivation to learn three songs in a week in your band?

And we're talking about standard pop tunes here, not originals or prog rock opus'.

It's something we can all do if we're going to dep for £80 for one night.

20 songs to add to your armoury.

So what's the tipping point?

[/quote]

Tim,

I'm not sure how old you are, but for a lot of us older players, the request is suspect and comes off as amateur and out of touch.

Unless the band has several months of good business booked, asking people to learn 20 songs is innappropiate.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1462816006' post='3045950']
Understandable, a cruise contract makes a huge differences and a good reason to invest your time in learning that many songs.

Blue
[/quote]

That was just the start of it >.<

Currently learning thirty odd songs for new project myself. Relatively new band but all experienced players who I've worked with before in other projects. I was originally approached as a dep for the gigs the regular bassist couldn't/wouldn't do (some genuine health issues) so they carried on booking lots of gigs. He has now quit with no notice so I have all my deps plus his original dates to cover. As it happens I've been treading water a bit recently so can do nearly all the dates, they will have to cancel this weekend's single gig (I probably wouldn't be quite ready anyway) but OK after that. I start end of May, between my first gig end of may and the end of July they have fourteen bookings B) Three hour rehearsal last night, went quite well.

The current workload for Carnival Cruise Line bands is that we have 3 weeks in rehearsals with the band to put 180 plus songs together. I received the setlists last night so I have 2 weeks as of today to transcribe and learn the 90 of these that i've not played before before i leave on the 25th to join the band.

A few years ago, I answered an advert for a bass player at around 4pm on a Sunday afternoon, the advert stated that they were almost gig ready and hoped to be gigging in about a month or two.

The guy I spoke to said they had a rehearsal booked the next day (Monday), so I said I am free to go along for an audition, he said "great", and sent me their set list, and told me it was to me to pick ANY five or six songs to play at the audition.

There were seventeen songs on the list, admittedly, I already knew about six of them, but I decided that I would try and learn all of them in the hope of indicating to them that I am capable of learning songs as and when required.

Anyway, I turned up on the Monday evening after a 90 minute journey to get there, and put the list of songs that I had printed out on the floor to remind me what we would be playing, the vocalist took a look at it and asked, "why have you got all those songs on your list", so I pointed at the guitarist and said that he sent them over to me because they are the songs you are currently working on, and she replied, “I only know about three of them”, the drummer then took a look and said, “me too!”, so I said, “well lets just do the songs you DO know and see how it goes”, and it turned out that I actually knew the the songs they did know, better than they did!

Now I’m not the greatest bassist around, but I do my homework and learn the songs when asked, and I think I do a decent job, but I just said to them that I don’t think that this is going to work for me, and wished them luck with their project, but as I started to walk out, they had the cheek to ask me to pay MY share for the room.

Yes you guessed it, I just carried on walking without looking back!!! :angry:

[quote name='funkypenguin' timestamp='1462986022' post='3047616']
The current workload for Carnival Cruise Line bands is that we have 3 weeks in rehearsals with the band to put 180 plus songs together. I received the setlists last night so I have 2 weeks as of today to transcribe and learn the 90 of these that i've not played before before i leave on the 25th to join the band.
[/quote]

This is kind of what I'm leaning towards.

It's a skill as bass players we should all have and really shouldn't be a huge ask.

Personally when I'm bored I'll sit in front of YouTube for an hour and just play along to whatever comes up. Most songs are under my fingers by the end of the first chorus.

If anyone has done a few jam sessions or depped for a function band on the fly this should be second nature to them.

I can't understand the hardship or reluctance to learn a few tunes.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='funkypenguin' timestamp='1462986022' post='3047616']
[/quote]

Dude, you'll use up them 180 songs in no time. I'll am for 300 so you don't drive yourself insane playing the same songs over and over again.

Try doing 14 day cruises 4 sets a night and not get sick of the same songs lol

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1462996271' post='3047738']
This is kind of what I'm leaning towards.

It's a skill as bass players we should all have and really shouldn't be a huge ask.

Personally when I'm bored I'll sit in front of YouTube for an hour and just play along to whatever comes up. Most songs are under my fingers by the end of the first chorus.

If anyone has done a few jam sessions or depped for a function band on the fly this should be second nature to them.

I can't understand the hardship or reluctance to learn a few tunes.
[/quote]

I love it. Im a self taught bassist. Never had a single lesson in my life, yet I've managed to have a rep of over 400 songs, can sight read, getting pretty bad ass on my theory and now a full time professional player.

All of this because I sat down and learnt songs. The 400+ songs I learnt started from when I was around 22/23. 27 now.

You start picking up patterns in music, certain genres you just know whats chord is coming next, I learnt so much from learning techniques and skills from my favourite artists.

I'm just starting jazz, woah, its an experience!

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1462996575' post='3047739']
Dude, you'll use up them 180 songs in no time. I'll am for 300 so you don't drive yourself insane playing the same songs over and over again.

Try doing 14 day cruises 4 sets a night and not get sick of the same songs lol
[/quote]

By mid - contract we'll be past the 300 mark :) we're only on 5 and 7 day cruises, when i did a contract of 7 and 8 day cruises we had 350 tunes to get ready plus 2 fly on shows to learn

Recently had 4 songs in week for the audition then 34 songs not including all the audition songs for 2 gigs in 3 weeks. Managed that then was told next gig in 10 days was a different set with 20 more songs to learn. That was kind of the last straw for me. Was keen on the band and the guys were all great but i wasn't prepared to keep learning new songs in short period of time for different type gigs. I had to leave the band and probably explains why they've been thru 18 bassists in 10 yrs.

Dave