Why become a member? ×

Need a new amp... Orange Bass Terror?

TomRandles97

I've been using an Ampeg Portaflex 350 into an Ashdown MAG 2x10 for about two years now but it's not really doing anything for me anymore. Need something new. Something tubey.

I need something versatile, that'll suit most different styles since I play in a function band and do a lot of progressive/math rock and jazz in my spare time. Essentially, something that's not just a one-trick pony. I'd like something with a bit of head room and headphone out would be a bonus. I'd prefer to move away from solid state but can't afford an all valve amp so a hybrid seems like good middle ground.

Been looking at Bass Terrors seeing as it's hybrid and seems promising, anyone able to vouch for them? Or recommend anything else?

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

I absolutely love the OTB500 but I've never owned an amp that was MORE of a one-trick pony. :rolleyes:

It does what it does, and pretty much nothing else. If it does what you want then that's great, but don't expect versatility.

For context, I used mine almost exclusively in the context of playing classic 70s covers (Stones, Dr. Feelgood, T. Rex, etc.) and it's just bang on the money for that.

In fairness, I also remember one occasion (just one) where it sounded truly majestic with a double bass. :)

I've got to agree with Happy Jack.
Most of the amps you can get now are very versatile.
The Orange isn't. At all.
Have you tried one yourself? As HJ says, there's nothing wrong with them if you do like what they offer.
Got a budget in mind? Any other specifications you require?
Otherwise, have you tried the Puma? MarkBass? Aguilar ToneHammer? Gallien Krueger MB series?
What about the EBS TD650? Mesa Subway? Demeter Minnie 800? Tech 21 VT500? Darkglass Microtubes 700?
There are loads of choices out there.

I haven't tried one myself which is why I've been looking for peoples thoughts. But like you confirmed I was worried that it could be a 'one thing but does it well' sort of deal.
I haven't had much of a chance to try many other amps other than the Tonehammer and VT you suggested because of the lack of good music shops in the area, except when I take the occasional trip to manchester/leeds.

As far as specifics, I'd need something around 500 watts, fairly simple 3 or four band EQ and onboard compressor and headphone out would be a plus but not compulsory. And like I said in the OP I'd prefer either a hybrid amp or a good quality class D. Budget is about £500-700 because I'll also need to get a new cab(s) to match the amp.

Another vote for OBT's being a one trick pony, though they do that trick very well - I've been able to get a few more tricks out of the OB1 heads but then you're back to solid state.

In terms of "tubey" sound from hybrids, I think it's a misnomer really; it could just be my ears but for me the tubey sound comes from the power section of the tube amps (or maybe the full-tube package), not so much the little tubes in the pre. Tube pre's give a slightly nicer OD than solid state/transistor based pre's (which is why I use one) but it's really not the same. I wouldn't say it's just marketing guff but hybrids seem to be missing the point as they neither sounds like tube amps nor are super light-weight.

Makes this post sound a bit bleak really. What don't you like about solid state? If you're looking at the high end amps listed above wouldn't it be worth looking for used full-tube amps (there are a couple in the classifieds at the moment)?

I love my OTB... but it's very dark sounding without a pedal to liven it up a bit. If you're not into pedals and want a versatile amp with a good drive sound, I would suggest the Tech 21 VT500. There's one for sale on here for £300 and I've been on the fence about getting it myself!

A Markbass LM head with a Sansamp BDDI might be worth looking at.
Loved that setup when i had it. MarkBass heads go for relatively cheap on here 2nd hand, so would give you a decent budget for a cab then too.
You ever down South Wales? Ive got a few bits and pieces you'd be welcome to try

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1462364252' post='3042374']
A Markbass LM head with a Sansamp BDDI might be worth looking at.
Loved that setup when i had it. MarkBass heads go for relatively cheap on here 2nd hand, so would give you a decent budget for a cab then too.
You ever down South Wales? Ive got a few bits and pieces you'd be welcome to try
[/quote]

I'm not unfortunately but may be going down there in the summer, hopefully will be sorted by then!

I do use pedals a lot so I'll have to try out the OBT when I get the chance. Got a few more to look into now, thanks everyone!

OK, the Orange isn't versatile... But it's one trick is SO good that I don't think it needs to be! I used mine on everything from wedding gigs with a Jazz bass to metal gigs with a Dingwall. Sounded great EVERYWHERE! Ridiculously loud and the gain control doesn't need to be in distortion land to get that loud. I keep saying I'll buy another, but I'm not gigging at the minute. I think the ideal rig for me would be a terror and the new barefaced 4x10...