Why become a member? ×

Anyone here near Isle of Arran? (edit: SCAM!!)

project_c

Did a bit of research, and holy crap you're right, it's a scam!!!

83 Precision Elite advertised for £395, with a load of spiel about [url="https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-precision-elite-electric-bass-guitar-82-83/1165076672"]'dad's inherited bass'[/url].

This photo is from the Gumtree ad:

…And here's the legit [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1983-Fender-Precision-Elite-Electric-Bass-Guitar-BEAUTIFUL-w-Flight-Case-/182083589222?hash=item2a65071466%3Ag%3AHk4AAOSwyjBW3eGm&nma=true&si=UEZQ4VN7B4C7UAYYJOdKj2%252FqcEA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]Ebay advert[/url] where the photos are nicked from - this bass just sold for nearly $2000. (The photo addresses on the Gumtree ad are in fact straight from ebay, they all begin with "ssli.ebayimg.com". That's a dead giveaway). I would have got suckered into this one for sure, the wording of the ad is very good.

The scammers resurrect their scams every few years to catch out those who have either forgotten about the previous one or haven't been around long enough to have heard of it.

The other one doing the rounds at the moment (for about the third time by my reckoning) is the one that starts off with a message asking 'is your musical item still for sale?' whilst not mentioning the 'item' by name.
That then leads to a tale of woe about sick relatives and difficulties collecting the bass in person.

The scammers will capitalise on the new pool of people for 6 months and then drop the scam and do something else for a year or two before resurrecting it again.

I've actually personally had the 'musical item' one, it's very funny. This one fooled me because they want you to collect it, so I assumed it was ok.

But of course its on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere which is only accessible by helicopter, so it's a postage scam.

No such thing as a ridiculous bargain these days!

I don't need bargains any more.

As soon as that Nigerian Prince transfers the $2.3 billion into my account I'll be minted.

He's had all my account details for a week now, and I've sent him scans of my passport and driving licence like he insisted - I can't think what the holdup might be. :angry:

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1460935850' post='3030008']
But of course its on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere which is only accessible by helicopter, so it's a postage scam.
[/quote]

So what happens if you email them and say 'hi, this is really lucky, I am in Arran too and looking for something like that, when can I come round and collect?'

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1460965280' post='3030099']

So what happens if you email them and say 'hi, this is really lucky, I am in Arran too and looking for something like that, when can I come round and collect?'
[/quote]

I think they just ignore your message unless they can see you're worth hustling.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461055999' post='3030928']
Are they really that short of placenames that they have to use them twice?

:rolleyes:
[/quote]
Useless fact: There's a place called Birmingham on every continent AND a crater on the moon..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1461070988' post='3031142']
There's a place called Birmingham on every continent AND a crater on the moon..
[/quote][quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461072897' post='3031157']
How can they tell them apart?
[/quote]

The people who live in the West Midlands one have a speech defect.

Edited by discreet