Why become a member? ×

Has anyone compared a BF BB2 with a Vanderkley 115MN6?

dave_bass5

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1464352439' post='3058752']

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Aww I love a bit of fishing.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2 bites in one go.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]:-p[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Unlucky - you must have let one get away.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1464353263' post='3058767']

To be fair, I can see where you are coming from with some of those comments. There is certainly a degree of sycophantism running through the amps and cabs area of this site. Funnily enough it is nowhere near as pronounced with amps (apart from the Class D vs "Heft" argument) or with bass guitars.

On the other side though, are those of us who have used dozens of different amps, cabs and basses and have arrived at their current set-up based on what they like the sound of. Yes, the weight of my rig is a factor, but it is not the only factor. I have used heavy cabs that I like, and lightweight cabs that I don't like so much. Same goes for amp heads. Some rigs just don't work in certain situations or in certain bands. There are so many variables...

Nowt wrong with a bit of healthy argument sometimes... :D
[/quote]

And let's not forgets, whilst some cabs may not be perfect, they are "good enough"

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1464354622' post='3058781']
There are major claims on the BF website that had me believing this was going to be the last cab i ever needed. Well it wasn't. How could it, they dont know what i like. If thats a neutral, almost flat cab then its not for me. I have no regrets about buying it. Im glad i got to try these great cabs, but its also taught me a valuable lesson.
[/quote]
But as long as you know that you are wrong, we are all friends.

If a player has a specific tone they want then that's great, that's why Alex requires all your info up front but for me I'd rather have a cab that does lots of things fairly well than one designed and supplied for a specific setup. I don't know If I'll be rocking out with a pick or playing some blues finger style from one gig to the next, I use a variety of heads too, I haven't got time to adjust my pickup height between songs to suit the cab!

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464359057' post='3058841']
If a player has a specific tone they want then that's great, that's why Alex requires all your info up front but for me I'd rather have a cab that does lots of things fairly well than one designed and supplied for a specific setup. I don't know If I'll be rocking out with a pick or playing some blues finger style from one gig to the next, I use a variety of heads too, I haven't got time to adjust my pickup height between songs to suit the cab!
[/quote]

Totally agree. The only thing i will add is ive never been looking for a definitive tone, only a tone that appeals to me. Every cab ive used has had this to some extent, but none quite as complete as the one i have now.

As far as different drivers not mattering, i have no idea, but there is certainly something going on that makes the Vanderkley sound different, and better for me.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464359057' post='3058841']
[/quote]

It's quite amazing how you can say one thing on the internet and it can be misinterpreted in so many fascinating ways! Our cabs have huge tonal range but as we have a one month trial period I'd rather stop someone buying our Four10 if they want to sound like Mark King - because it won't do that, it doesn't have a tweeter. Pickup height is set and forget but is a common source of bassists' tone problems - the pickup height/balance is set wrong and then the EQ etc on bass/amp/cab is used to try to correct the balance.

For me the whole premise behind our designs has always been about getting great and consistent tone with minimum effort.

I look forward to this post being misinterpreted too! ;)

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1464365697' post='3058932']
It's quite amazing how you can say one thing on the internet and it can be misinterpreted in so many fascinating ways!
[/quote]
I know exactly what you mean. I'm accused of saying things I haven't even said!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1464370223' post='3058990']

Oh yes, I do believe the red paint makes a difference to certain freq's. A lot of R&D went in to getting the shade just right...apparently.
[/quote]

I can well believe it!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1464365697' post='3058932']
It's quite amazing how you can say one thing on the internet and it can be misinterpreted in so many fascinating ways! Our cabs have huge tonal range but as we have a one month trial period I'd rather stop someone buying our Four10 if they want to sound like Mark King - because it won't do that, it doesn't have a tweeter. Pickup height is set and forget but is a common source of bassists' tone problems - the pickup height/balance is set wrong and then the EQ etc on bass/amp/cab is used to try to correct the balance.

For me the whole premise behind our designs has always been about getting great and consistent tone with minimum effort.

I look forward to this post being misinterpreted too! ;)
[/quote]

So what you`re really saying then Alex, is.......................... :lol:

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1464377742' post='3059069']
As long as the speakers aren't blue. That's seems to be a dark, woolly colour ;-)
[/quote]

;-)

If you are really lucky they may turn more a shade of orange... and emit magic smoke.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1464377742' post='3059069']
As long as the speakers aren't blue. That's seems to be a dark, woolly colour ;-)
[/quote]

There could well be something to this, yellow, blue, red; maybe the psycho acoustic aspects of the brains interpretation of sound are more affected by unconscious prejudices over aesthetics or expectations than we think. I'm sure that lots of research has been completed on football teams coloured strips and politicians ties etc, maybe these principles cross over into this area too?

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1464388399' post='3059207']

There could well be something to this, yellow, blue, red; maybe the psycho acoustic aspects of the brains interpretation of sound are more affected by unconscious prejudices over aesthetics or expectations than we think. I'm sure that lots of research has been completed on football teams coloured strips and politicians ties etc, maybe these principles cross over into this area too?
[/quote]

Tongue in cheek methinks! :-p

Although the Markbass owl look puts me right off!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1464353570' post='3058772']
Maybe - but for those of us who play smaller venues (with only vocals through the PA) and rely on backline, the sound of the rig is important. If I can hear myself properly and like the sound I hear, I tend to play better and enjoy the performance more. Audiences feed off that and the whole gig is better.

[/quote]

I don't agree with points like these and 'sounds great in the mix'...
The sound of your basses and boxes is always important..
A poor sound is a poor sound... and it is no use, IMO, having a sound that 'cuts' thru
if the core sound is poor or unhelpful but ok if other instruments mask it.

This cutting thru term is also wrong IMO.. you don't want to have to cut thru..if you are doing
that, you've got the mix all wrong..