Why become a member? ×

Has anyone compared a BF BB2 with a Vanderkley 115MN6?

dave_bass5

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464343985' post='3058597']
To be honest, I have never read so much about a brand of cab that requires as much input from [s]the end user to do a job[/s] people who don't own or gig them.
[/quote]

Fixed it for you... :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1464346233' post='3058638']

Fixed it for you... :D
[/quote]

To be fair, that's not fixing, that's just changing my words to contradict the history of what has been said on this very forum.

In other news, black is now white.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1464347884' post='3058664']

Fixed again... :D
[/quote]

I don't think you understand what you are saying.

I'm not the one being burnt. I dont used Barefaced cabs. As a consequence, I don't have to look into my amps, cables, basses, setups, technique or the alignment of the Earth if I was to hear a tone I don't like coming from a cab...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464348343' post='3058671']I don't have to look into my amps, cables, basses, setups, technique.... if I was to hear a tone I don't like coming from a cab...
[/quote]

What would be the cause then, in your opinion? I'm genuinely interested. There is always a cause for a subjectively unpleasant tone, unless it can be put down to the room itself.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1464348800' post='3058686']

What would be the cause then, in your opinion? I'm genuinely interested. There is always a cause for a subjectively unpleasant tone, unless it can be put down to the room itself.
[/quote]

Response curves, tuning, blindly following others...

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1464349649' post='3058705']

Have you got any data on the response curves or tuning?
[/quote]

Why would I? A certain cab manufacturer tells me they are wholly unreliable anyway.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464349853' post='3058708']

What's that got to do with anything?
[/quote]

He stated that those were the reasons why he didn't like the cabs, I was just curious if there was any data that could be shared, or if it was based on personal opinion. Both valid, I was genuinely interested.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464349770' post='3058706']

Why would I? A certain cab manufacturer tells me they are wholly unreliable anyway.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I know what you mean. It is a shame that manufacturers of cabs and amps tend to use different metrics and standards for reporting data. I wish a standard approach could be used for a more accurate comparison on paper; then of course backed up by personal experience as things tend to translate differently in the real world.

I don't think I've ever really paid much attention to placement/ports/tuning. I just put the cab down where the sound man wants it, and go from there. If I'm borrowing a cab, I have no say. I don't really think much attention should be paid, apart from usual common sense. I doubt the hundreds of bands I see live really care...they just enjoy the music. The PA does most of the work anyway.

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1464350349' post='3058714']

Fair enough. I know what you mean. It is a shame that manufacturers of cabs and amps tend to use different metrics and standards for reporting data. I wish a standard approach could be used for a more accurate comparison on paper; then of course backed up by personal experience as things tend to translate differently in the real world.
[/quote]

Funny how some seem to think I have no experience of these cabs in the real world.

I like light cabs too. If they sound right.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1464350554' post='3058719']
I don't think I've ever really paid much attention to placement/ports/tuning. I just put the cab down where the sound man wants it, and go from there. If I'm borrowing a cab, I have no say. I don't really think much attention should be paid, apart from usual common sense. I doubt the hundreds of bands I see live really care...they just enjoy the music. The PA does most of the work anyway.
[/quote]

This is where the divide comes. Those that use cabs for strictly monitoring. And those that use it for both monitoring and being heard front of house.

In reality, most people won't care as long as a cab is light.

Others mistake something to be a great sounding cab based on the fact they can lift it easily.

Some think a great sounding cab is something that they can hear on stage regardless of what it sounds like front of house.

An expensive cab equals a great sounding cab, naturally :-p

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464347956' post='3058667']
To be fair, that's not fixing, that's just changing my words to contradict the history of what has been said on this very forum.

In other news, black is now white.
[/quote]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464348343' post='3058671']
I don't think you understand what you are saying.

I'm not the one being burnt. I dont used Barefaced cabs. As a consequence, I don't have to look into my amps, cables, basses, setups, technique or the alignment of the Earth if I was to hear a tone I don't like coming from a cab...
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Aww I love a bit of fishing.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2 bites in one go.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]:-p[/font][/color]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464350926' post='3058728']
This is where the divide comes. Those that use cabs for strictly monitoring. And those that use it for both monitoring and being heard front of house.

In reality, most people won't care as long as a cab is light.

Others mistake something to be a great sounding cab based on the fact they can lift it easily.

Some think a great sounding cab is something that they can hear on stage regardless of what it sounds like front of house.

An expensive cab equals a great sounding cab, naturally :-p
[/quote]

To be fair, I can see where you are coming from with some of those comments. There is certainly a degree of sycophantism running through the amps and cabs area of this site. Funnily enough it is nowhere near as pronounced with amps (apart from the Class D vs "Heft" argument) or with bass guitars.

On the other side though, are those of us who have used dozens of different amps, cabs and basses and have arrived at their current set-up based on what they like the sound of. Yes, the weight of my rig is a factor, but it is not the only factor. I have used heavy cabs that I like, and lightweight cabs that I don't like so much. Same goes for amp heads. Some rigs just don't work in certain situations or in certain bands. There are so many variables...

Nowt wrong with a bit of healthy argument sometimes... :D

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1464350554' post='3058719'] I doubt the hundreds of bands I see live really care...they just enjoy the music. The PA does most of the work anyway.
[/quote]

Maybe - but for those of us who play smaller venues (with only vocals through the PA) and rely on backline, the sound of the rig is important. If I can hear myself properly and like the sound I hear, I tend to play better and enjoy the performance more. Audiences feed off that and the whole gig is better.

The bands that get to the point where we are paying to see them tour have probably been through that stage too but have moved on to bigger (but not necessarily better) things. Their sound is totally at the mercy of the(ir) sound man...

All IMO of course :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1464353570' post='3058772']
Maybe - but for those of us who play smaller venues (with only vocals through the PA) and rely on backline, the sound of the rig is important. If I can hear myself properly and like the sound I hear, I tend to play better and enjoy the performance more. Audiences feed off that and the whole gig is better.

The bands that get to the point where we are paying to see them tour have probably been through that stage too but have moved on to bigger (but not necessarily better) things. Their sound is totally at the mercy of the(ir) sound man...

All IMO of course :)
[/quote]

This is how my bands work. We dont need to invest heavily in a big PA, and pay the extra expense if upgrading cars etc to transport it. A vocal PA has worked fine for the past 14 years. My rig has to cover the room without support most of the time. Im happy it admit ive never had canyon say my tone is bad, but if im not enjoying it then im in a position to fix that. sometimes the room will play havoc with the low end. Thats to be expected, but in a controlled, familiar environment if its not working then time to move on.

There are major claims on the BF website that had me believing this was going to be the last cab i ever needed. Well it wasn't. How could it, they dont know what i like. If thats a neutral, almost flat cab then its not for me. I have no regrets about buying it. Im glad i got to try these great cabs, but its also taught me a valuable lesson.