Why become a member? ×

Early EUB from the 50's ?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1459883518' post='3020609']
This is curious if you ask me. Styling isn't at its finest though.
[/quote]

Liking the styling has a lot to do with familiarity. I'm sure if the Fender Precision hadn't turned out to be so popular, we'd all be laughing at its clunkiness every time an example popped up on eBay.

I like them, and the styling is totally of it's time. I had a go on one of these once and remember quite enjoying it. It didn't sound much like a double bass, but I presume the goal was just to make an upright bass that could be played loud in dance bands.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Made-in-China--Rockbass--Triumph--Triumph-Lite--4-string--Pictures.html"]http://www.warwickba...--Pictures.html[/url]
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/warwick-rockbass-triumph-lite-4-string-electric-double-bass-black--211041

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1459934801' post='3020926']
Thanks for that Mark. I think. Might be an expensive link! :)
[/quote]

Just for the record I've never played one or even seen one, so I'm not recommending it. ;) But if you do get one I'd like to have a go on it!

But it has 'style', HJ, that certain retro-ness that I like so much. At least, the old Framus does - not quite so sure about the Warwick.

Mark - if I get one and it works out, you will be the first to know. Also if I get one and it doesn't work out :P

I hope not - that would be too dear for me! The style/mojo is definitely worth a premium for me but I need to balance that against how much I use my EUB. Which is only in one band, only if the set up area is big enough and even then only for about 6 songs.

It is certainly naughty bottom though :)

These Framus basses are rare. The seller wants £1000, but I explained to him that it's not in great condition and doesn't have all the accessories that go with it, so that's somewhat ambitious. I reckon £500 or around there, which is a reasonable price. A good service, setup and new strings isn't going to be cheap. I might have a go at it, but I've been buying lots of things recently that I shouldn't.

Still seems a bit high for me given the condition, but if someone has wanted one then it's not a bad price.

Good for them! I managed to snare an incredible DB bargain on ebay this week, will be picking it up shortly and might post a bit of a diary about it.

• 2 weeks later...