Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands - is this normal?

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1459691824' post='3018647']

I put out a 'bassist available' ad a while back, looking for a working covers band. I received a response asking if I could sing and would I be interested in joining a Police tribute!
[/quote]

That has to be the same guy who contacted me, and I wasn't even looking for a covers band!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1459692496' post='3018654']

That has to be the same guy who contacted me, and I wasn't even looking for a covers band!
[/quote]

Ahh... I've just realised you're fairly local to me! I'm guessing there's not two Sting-less Police tributes in Central Scotland! Was definitely the funniest response I've had to a Gumtree ad. I included a couple of video links, so he must known I'm no Sting look-a-like!

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1459713312' post='3018922']
Ahh... I've just realised you're fairly local to me! I'm guessing there's not two Sting-less Police tributes in Central Scotland! Was definitely the funniest response I've had to a Gumtree ad. I included a couple of video links, so he must known I'm no Sting look-a-like!
[/quote] :lol: And another mention for chancers!
Forming Roman Empire revolutionary movement: Spartacus wanted!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1459671396' post='3018439']
There's a venue in my home town that puts on tribute bands very regularly. A lot of them pack out the place and I think it allows them to take the financial hit on originals acts that don't sell so well.

One thing I have noticed is that it's a noticeably different crowd who go to the tributes. I have non-musician friends who go out to see tribute acts but have no interest in seeing originals or even normal covers bands.
[/quote]

I'm guessing that's the Flowerpot? There's also the Diamond in Sutton in Ashfield that seemed to establish itself on the tribute tricket. Agree about the crowds, it's def more of a 'couples night out' vibe at some of those gigs unless it's a really heavy act.

Can't remember where I saw it, but I once saw an ad by a guy wanting to start a 'Dead Legends' band.

He wanted a Mozart, a Jimi Hendrix, a Keith Moon and a Freddie Mercury. I'm guessing he was the bassist and looked like Jaco or Jamerson?

God knows what material he had lined up.

I'm actually in the middle of working up a Devo tribute called DEVO:TION. It's a bit of a labour of love but we're getting some low-key bookings already and we're only a month or two in; we're playing a decent local venue in June and a cool electronic festival based around KLF-themed Discordianism which is entirely our jam.

Currently sourcing hazmat suits and energy domes, and we'll probably do the black polo necks and shorts look too. The music isn't going to be an exact note for note tribute but we're aiming for a 'in spirit if not flesh' thing. I figure Devo might actually be amused by us playing their sh*t like a franchised band, but maybe they'd just sue us into oblivion instead.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1459759716' post='3019174']

I'm guessing that's the Flowerpot? There's also the Diamond in Sutton in Ashfield that seemed to establish itself on the tribute tricket. Agree about the crowds, it's def more of a 'couples night out' vibe at some of those gigs unless it's a really heavy act.
[/quote]
That's in my back yard, I've heard tell but never been there, it's not the finest neighbourhood

[quote name='borntohang' timestamp='1459764679' post='3019245']
I'm actually in the middle of working up a Devo tribute called DEVO:TION. It's a bit of a labour of love but we're getting some low-key bookings already and we're only a month or two in; we're playing a decent local venue in June and a cool electronic festival based around KLF-themed Discordianism which is entirely our jam.

Currently sourcing hazmat suits and energy domes, and we'll probably do the black polo necks and shorts look too. The music isn't going to be an exact note for note tribute but we're aiming for a 'in spirit if not flesh' thing. I figure Devo might actually be amused by us playing their sh*t like a franchised band, but maybe they'd just sue us into oblivion instead.
[/quote]

That's exactly the sort of tribute band I would probably go and see!

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1459765008' post='3019253']
That's in my back yard, I've heard tell but never been there, it's not the finest neighbourhood
[/quote]

Venue itself is OK and I've parked there without incident a few times but I know what you mean, not been for a year or two. Played there once years ago, gave us the graveyard shift on a Sunday. So few people in that the management were happy for us to finish the second set early so we could all go home.