Why become a member? ×

Abraham Laboriel -- He's Exalted

lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='291303' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:04 PM']Abraham Laboriel -- He's Exalted
Just a bit of fun, but i like it.
Still fat and still knows his grooves,
And his dance routines... :)
Goes a bit wonky at the end..
BWGAF...its Abe... :huh:

Garry[/quote]

I endeavour to be that cool when I'm old and grey :huh:

yes he,s his dad!!!!
Abe laboriel is my favourite bass player ever,loved his work with randy crawford simple, soulfull funky and the man can really step out when needed, ive got his two solo albums amazing. kep groovin- lee

great fun! Any relation to this guy (Paul McC's drummer)?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8AmB2N4XGo&feature=related"]Abe Laboriel Jnr.[/

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='291477' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:13 AM']Never liked Abe, I'm afraid, but I think its because I never really liked anything that he played on (its mostly fuzak).[/quote]

You liked JJ but did not like any thing he played on. [MOTOWN]
Not sure i understand that any Bass player can not like Abe.
But hey, thats what the worlds about..opinions.. :)

Garry

+1
Abe plays nothing but nicely slapped minims on Randy crawfords "you might need somebody" and sliding down to a tenth double stop on "trade winds" just makes me smile a mile wide, i love Abes playing more than the 1000,s of wonderful musical talented bass players around in this world, he,s played on some muzak stuff buthe,s also done pop, jazz soul, funk, the man does it all, with a humble attitude and love for every project he plays on, his stuff for george benson and quincy jones is sublime, he is a classically trained guitarist (at berkely) and its amazing how he brings that rasguedo technique to the bass, i find his playing very inspirational and have always found great joy in his lines, and blow me his son is just as amazing as a drummer in the genes i think :) , sorry if im ranting but im a big fan. enjoy the music- lee

Abe does it for me, I just like the guys approach and the way he fits incredible technique into the song so musicall

[quote]Not sure i understand that any Bass player can not like Abe.[/quote]
:) :huh:
It's terrible, I shall have a stern word with myself when I get home, and spend the rest of the evening mastering some funky chops and jazz/blues motifs just to make up for my obvious shortcomings in the the "Not Liking All The Staple Bass Players And\Or Bass Standards." department.

yes he did for his mate at berklee "alan silvestri" on a fretless musicman stingray, as i read somewhere, ver funky theme, he did a lot of that stuff, he did a lot of the "henry mancini "stuff too- sorry if im being a bit of a geeky fanboy thanks for giving me something to chat about respect- lee

Abe played on "Chips" the cop show from the 70's. Class beyondy .

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='294553' date='Sep 29 2008, 02:26 PM']:) :huh:
It's terrible, I shall have a stern word with myself when I get home, and spend the rest of the evening mastering some funky chops and jazz/blues motifs just to make up for my obvious shortcomings in the the "Not Liking All The Staple Bass Players And\Or Bass Standards." department.[/quote]

You see....just what i mean...
Abe can rock out with the best of them... [ Famous for his pumping 8 grooves ]
Carry on the good work in the Bedroom...with your Jazz / blues motifs... :huh:

Garry

[quote name='jakesbass' post='296172' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:56 AM']He's a very groovy gentleman indeed.[/quote]

Indeed he is... :)
A stylisticly well rounded musician.
and i dont mean in the weight dept.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote]QUOTE (BassMunkee @ Sep 29 2008, 02:26 PM)

It's terrible, I shall have a stern word with myself when I get home, and spend the rest of the evening mastering some funky chops and jazz/blues motifs just to make up for my obvious shortcomings in the the "Not Liking All The Staple Bass Players And\Or Bass Standards." department.

You see....just what i mean...
Abe can rock out with the best of them... [ Famous for his pumping 8 grooves ]
Carry on the good work in the Bedroom...with your Jazz / blues motifs...

Garry[/quote]
I would like to point out that I don't know who he is, and I've never actually heard of him - but I've never considered a lack of information to be an obstacle to the random trolling of threads...
...I only replied anyway because I was amused at the "How can you be a bassist and not like X" comment, but I'm not really interested...

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='296232' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:43 AM']I would like to point out that I don't know who he is, and I've never actually heard of him - but I've never considered a lack of information to be an obstacle to the random trolling of threads...
...I only replied anyway because I was amused at the "How can you be a bassist and not like X" comment, but I'm not really interested...[/quote]

To be honest it was you that mentioned funky chops and Jazz / Blues.. :)

I like him for his all round musical approach, what ever style he plays in.
Just so happens that his chops are as funky as f**k!... :huh:

Garry