Why become a member? ×

NBD : Moollon Classic P

CamdenRob

Having finally negotiated paying the customs charges and managed to retrieve the package from my local Parcelforce depot over a bank holiday weekend, I have an NBD! The bass took one day to get from Mollon's workshop in South Korea to Heathrow, then a further two weeks to get to me with the usual HMRC / Parcelforce fannying around...

This is a Moollon Classic P. For those who are unaware these are only available to order direct from the factory and are made to order. They are not full custom builds, but rather Moollon have a small number of models from which you can choose and then they build each instrument from scratch and you can specify finishes, pickguards etc (ala Wal).

The classic range (Ps and Js available) are copies of pre-CBS fenders, this one is a copy of a 57 P. Everything has been painstakingly researched to use as closer materials as possible to match Leo's original creations.

Specs from Moollon
Body wood : Alder
Neck wood : Hard Maple
Fingerboard Wood : Macassar Ebony With 7.25\" Radius
Frets : Medium Size Nickel Silver
Bridge : Moollon Vintage Style with Spiral Steel Saddles
Tuners : Moollon Vintage Style
Nut : Bone
Pots : CTS
Jack : Switchcraft
Pickups : Moollon
Inlays : Clay dot
Finish : Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Controls : Volume/Tone

You will notice the Ebony board which is obviously not period correct, apparently this was chosen due to a decreasing availability of dark Rosewood in their part of the world. It looks really good IMO in contrast against the sonic blue body.

All the Fender copy stuff aside, this bass is an exceptional P bass... It is simple, light, balanced, beautiful to look at and beautiful to play. The tone control goes from vintage thump to a clear growl at the top end, remaining usable right through the spectrum. Yes it's a P bass... there are many like it but these are a bit special :)

Full price including import duty, VAT etc came in at a little over £1700 which is not bad for a hand built instrument.

I wanted too try something a bit different and am very pleased I took the risk.

Edited by CamdenRob

You've got to love faded sonic blue with a parchment or mint guard. How about some more pics when you've got over the excitement? ;) Ashtrays would look spiffy on that, but I see there are no holes drilled for them, so... maybe not!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458989015' post='3012611']
Ashtrays would look spiffy on that, but I see there are no holes drilled for them, so... maybe not!
[/quote]

Yes I wasn't sure if I was going to get ashtrays or not... probably shouldn't go drilling holes in it to add some, i'd definitely do that wrong :blink:

Thanks chaps :) yes it does look very light in those photos... I'll try and get some done outside in natural light today, weather permitting.

I haven't put this down since opening it up yesterday. The shear simplicity and ease to play of a good p bass is a joy to behold... It's just so damn playable...

I have a set of la bellas I took off my fretless Jazz in favour of rounds kicking around somewhere, so I'm going to put those on today for even more thump :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1459063652' post='3013163']
I have a set of la bellas I took off my fretless Jazz in favour of rounds kicking around somewhere, so I'm going to put those on today for even more thump :)
[/quote]

La Bellas on a decent P is one of life's greatest pleasures. Ooh, yeah. :gas:

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1459309407' post='3015326']
Splendid !
These headstocks are gorgeous. It is not easy to succeed in creating a different headstock without copying the original (but in the same spirit).
[/quote]

I must admit that the headstock shape is the only thing about the bass I am unsure about... I don't dislike it by any means, but I think I'm just conditioned to wanting to see Fender shape headstocks on Fender shaped instruments!

Edited by CamdenRob

[i]Sooo[/i] many Christmases in your house Rob! I'm jealous :D

Lovely looking bass. I really dig the colour. I actually like the headstock too (and your scatter cushions, for that matter).

Is this the one you used for this month's Noodle Bar? [i](just checked - it is! Obviously you knew that).[/i] Sounds very nice too.

Good score.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459356947' post='3015785']
Been doing a bit of reading about these, [i]very[/i] interesting... though to be honest I too am not 100% convinced about the headstock. Though I'm sure that would improve with use... ;)
[/quote]

Yes it does look a little odd next to my Peterbuilt (which has an Allparts neck, so Fender shaped headstock). I think it's just a matter of getting used to it :), The headstock looks massive in that photo but its much more inkeeping with the rest of the bass in reality.

Trying to sort out a date (possibly Sunday) with another BCer for him to come over and have a noodle on the Moollon as he's interested in ordering one, you'd be more than welcome to pop over the river for an hour and check it out for yourself if you're around :) We can all discuss the aesthetics of headstock design over a cup of tea and wonder how it is our lives have come to this... :blink:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1459360184' post='3015829']
Lovely looking bass. I really dig the colour. I actually like the headstock too (and your [b]scatter cushions[/b], for that matter).
[/quote]

Interior design and soft furnishings are Mrs Cs department... left to my own devices my house would look like KB's with basses all over the walls :blink:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1459360184' post='3015829']
Is this the one you used for this month's Noodle Bar? [i](just checked - it is! Obviously you knew that).[/i] Sounds very nice too.
[/quote]

The very same... I've mostly been playing it with a pick as I've been trying to develop my technique a bit after watching a Bobby Vega video... I've loving the tone when palm muting with the tone rolled off to about a quarter turn from the bass side.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1459405432' post='3016138']
...you'd be more than welcome to pop over the river for an hour and check it out for yourself if you're around...
[/quote]

Thanks very much for the offer, but Sunday is the one day I work on my income streams... this allows me to spend every other hour of the week on BassChat, so you can see my problem... ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459425948' post='3016399']
Thanks very much for the offer, but Sunday is the one day I work on my income streams... this allows me to spend every other hour of the week on BassChat, so you can see my problem... ;)
[/quote]

:lol: no worries... it's happening at 1pm if you've made your millions by lunchtime and find yourself with the afternoon off...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1459426191' post='3016404']
:lol: no worries... it's happening at 1pm if you've made your millions by lunchtime and find yourself with the afternoon off...
[/quote]

Ooh well, that's a possibility... I'll make sure there's a limo available just in case... ;)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1459426414' post='3016412']
Don't worry about that, let me know if you're free and I'll send the helicopter...
[/quote]

Ooh no, way too showy in these times of austerity... I only use mine at night. Don't forget, 'we're all in this together'... :P