Why become a member? ×

'(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay' - What a great line...

wateroftyne

Hey!

We all know Duck Dunn is a genius, right?

But, for me, bass doesnt get any better than what he does on this tune. Especially this bit:

'...sittin on the dock of the bay...'

*lets the note hang*

'...watchin' the tide roll away..'

*lets the note hang*

It's a minor detail, I know, but those little gaps are inspired. And most bass players I've seen covering the song play right through them. Shame.

Years ago the (now late) bloke in the Bass Cellar told me when I enquired about availablity of the MIJ Fender Duck Bass, that Duck wasn't a very good player and Lewis Steinberg played on all the hits

I didn't take much notice of him though as Duck was and (indeed still is) a well respected and sucessful recording artist with impeccible taste who has been inducted into the Rock n Roll hall of fame and Mr Baldy was a cloth-eared miserable little cnut in a shtty bass shop.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='290924' date='Sep 24 2008, 03:24 PM']Years ago the (now late) bloke in the Bass Cellar told me when I enquired about availablity of the MIJ Fender Duck Bass, that Duck wasn't a very good player and Lewis Steinberg played on all the hits

I didn't take much notice of him though as Duck was and (indeed still is) a well respected and sucessful recording artist with impeccible taste who has been inducted into the Rock n Roll hall of fame and Mr Baldy was a cloth-eared miserable little cnut in a shtty bass shop.[/quote]

AFAIK Duck Dunn replaced Lewis Steinberg in Booker T and the MGs quite early on. It is Steinberg playing on Green Onions though.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='290924' date='Sep 24 2008, 03:24 PM']Years ago the (now late) bloke in the Bass Cellar told me when I enquired about availablity of the MIJ Fender Duck Bass, that Duck wasn't a very good player and Lewis Steinberg played on all the hits

I didn't take much notice of him though as Duck was and (indeed still is) a well respected and sucessful recording artist with impeccible taste who has been inducted into the Rock n Roll hall of fame and Mr Baldy was a cloth-eared miserable little cnut in a shtty bass shop.[/quote]

:) :huh: :huh:

Classic!

Mr Baldy was a cloth-eared miserable little cnut in a shtty bass shop.[/quote]

Fancy going 6 feet under [or sitting on top of a fireplace] and thinking that! :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='290896' date='Sep 24 2008, 02:55 PM']Hey!

We all know Duck Dunn is a genius, right?

But, for me, bass doesnt get any better than what he does on this tune. Especially this bit:

'...sittin on the dock of the bay...'

*lets the note hang*

'...watchin' the tide roll away..'

*lets the note hang*

It's a minor detail, I know, but those little gaps are inspired. And most bass players I've seen covering the song play right through them. Shame.[/quote]
Thanks for this - you are absolutely right to point out this detail. The whole dynamic of the song changes thanks to this. I'm learning this right now thanks to this post. Cheers.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='290896' date='Sep 24 2008, 02:55 PM']Hey!

We all know Duck Dunn is a genius, right?[/quote]
Yep
[quote name='wateroftyne' post='290896' date='Sep 24 2008, 02:55 PM']It's a minor detail, I know, but those little gaps are inspired.[/quote]
Minor detail my arse (said in Jim Royle voice)
It's what makes the difference between bass playing and bass playing genius.
I've got ears like Dumbo and I hadn't noticed that before.
Content, substance, poise, choice my dear fellow.
Jake :)