Why become a member? ×

Great Bass Line - dreadful song

Bilbo

Always amused to see The Beatles appearing in this sort of thread. It's a bit like Monty Python appearing in a thread about least-funny comedy shows.

It's an age thing.

Anyone over the age of 50 has no choice but to cite The Fab Four as a massive, massive influence (even if they don't actually like them) because that's what they were ... half the music performed in the 70's and 80's had no choice but to be influenced by The Beatles, and Paul McCartney won [i]Bass Player Of The Year[/i] awards over and over again.

On the other hand, most people under the age of 30 only know The Moptops from embarrassing singalongs at their parents' (or grandparents') parties, and have no idea how innovative and revolutionary they really were.

Talking to my daughter and her teenaged friends about comedy shows last week, Monty Python seems to have made a bit of a comeback recently, but The Young Ones was dismissed as being "hard work and a bit wearing". I wet myself laughing when I heard that, just like I wet myself laughing back in 1980 or whatever when I saw [i]Flood[/i] for the first time.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='290737' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:00 PM']Anyone over the age of 50 has no choice but to cite The Fab Four as a massive, massive influence (even if they don't actually like them) because that's what they were ... half the music performed in the 70's and 80's had no choice but to be influenced by The Beatles, and Paul McCartney won [i]Bass Player Of The Year[/i] awards over and over again.[/quote]
Let's see. I'm 50. The bands I listened to in the 70s and 80s were Focus, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Yes, Hendrix, Floyd, Sabbath. It's difficult to see much in the way of Beatles influence in that lot...

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='290756' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:16 PM']Guy Pratts overplaying in the Christmas Rap, or wtf it's called, always puts a smile on my face! Absolutely godawful song tho, you have to admit![/quote]

Christmas Wrapping? by the Waitesses? That wasn't Guy Pratt...

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='290756' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:16 PM']Guy Pratts overplaying in the Christmas Rap, or wtf it's called, always puts a smile on my face! Absolutely godawful song tho, you have to admit![/quote]

You don't mean Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses do you?
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-IQWLnD51c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-IQWLnD51c[/url]

Tracy Wormworth played the bass on that.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='290734' date='Sep 24 2008, 11:58 AM']Personally I thought Retroglide was a master class in song writting. I still like Level 42. There .. I said it.[/quote]

I thought it was more like a masterclass in 'how [u]not[/u] to master a recording for general release'!!!!!

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='tauzero' post='290766' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:23 PM']....The bands I listened to in the 70s and 80s were Focus, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Yes, Hendrix, Floyd, Sabbath. It's difficult to see much in the way of Beatles influence in that lot....[/quote]
I saw Richie Blackmore playing Beatles songs when he played with Neil Christian and the Crusaders and all recording techniques changed after Sgt Pepper.
In my opinion it's possible to see Beatles influences in most music created since. They maybe one or two layers down in the mix but they are there, as are Dylan, Brian Wilson, Willie Dixon and a lot of Rock and Roll.

[quote name='tauzero' post='290766' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:23 PM']Let's see. I'm 50. The bands I listened to in the 70s and 80s were Focus, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Yes, Hendrix, Floyd, Sabbath. It's difficult to see much in the way of Beatles influence in that lot...[/quote]

Studio-based multi-instrumentalism (as used extensively by Focus) was first done by The Beatles. The concept album (so popular with Yes and Pink Floyd) originated with The Beatles in Sergeant Pepper. There are other examples ... though I'm gonna struggle with Hendrix! :)

Note that I said "half the music", not "all music".

Incidentally, I'm 51 and I listened to exactly the same bands as you during the 70's apart from Sabbath. My list during the 80's would be a bit different.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='290802' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:58 PM']Now the Stones - bad bass lines AND bad songs.

Hell of an achievement.[/quote]

Ive been holding out so long
Ive been sleeping all alone
Lord I miss you
Ive been hanging on the phone
Ive been sleeping all alone
I want to kiss you

Ooohooooooohoooooooohooooooooh etc...

you see, I have more problems with the lyrics than anything else... I actually quite like the bass line and the melody.

Edited by EBS_freak

i can see the influence of the beatles and the change that paul brought about in bass playing but i agree they dont do much for me.
funnily enough i find some of the basslines to the Wham songs really good though the songs themselves, as 80's classics are utter fluff. the one that springs to mind is club tropicana, great line sh*te song.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='290816' date='Sep 24 2008, 01:14 PM']you see, I have more problems with the lyrics than anything else...[/quote]

I met a gin-soaked bar-room queen in Memphis,
She tried to take me upstairs for a ride.

Drums beating cold, English blood runs hot,
Lady of the house wonders where it's gonna stop.

Well I'm driving in my car and a man comes on and tells me
How white my shirts can be but he can't be a man
Cos he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me.

They may have written/sung some crap lyrics but BY GOD did they come up with some good 'uns.

Well the prize for brilliant bass and utter tripe lyrics just has to go to Yes ..

"Battleships confide in me and tell me where you are,
Shining, flying, purple wolfhound, show me where you are,
Lost in summer, morning, winter, travel very far,
Lost in losing circumstances, that's just where you are."

:)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='290735' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:59 AM']My point was simply that liking a song was not the same as valuing its effect on the masses.[/quote]

The difference in agenda of the multi-instrumentalist who song writes and the virtuoso performer turned songwriter. The ambition of any songwriter has to be the creation of a homogeneous entity and not a collection of individualist parts. If a song is simply an exercise in musical theory or performance technique it’s not going to survive the objective qua subjective appreciation of the listening public. Had this argument with a producer once.

A song has to be more than the sum of its parts. It has to evoke a reaction that is beyond the limitations of the key selected and the notes played - and the listening public quite simply doesn't care if a line has been played legato, ostinato or staccato for a particular section, or if a player is using double-stop slides or eighth-note triplets, hammer-ons or double-tapping, but about the overall impact of any song on them at an emotional level. In that respect, the balance of technical and emotional, I’m much more impressed by the performances of, say, Sting, than I am of, say, Mark King - although I’m sure that there are many contributors to this forum who would eagerly analyse these two musicians as bass players without considering the choices they make as songwriters.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='290852' date='Sep 24 2008, 02:02 PM']The ambition of any songwriter has to be the creation of a homogeneous entity and not a collection of individualist parts.[/quote]

Absolutely - a great bass line on a bad piece of music is like polish on a turd. Its nice and shiny now but, when it comes down to it, its still a turd!

[quote name='OldGit' post='290837' date='Sep 24 2008, 01:37 PM']Well the prize for brilliant bass and utter tripe lyrics just has to go to Yes ..

"Battleships confide in me and tell me where you are,
Shining, flying, purple wolfhound, show me where you are,
Lost in summer, morning, winter, travel very far,
Lost in losing circumstances, that's just where you are."

:)[/quote]

Of course, where would be without the master of lyrics, Des'ree? (Love this song... call it a guilty pleasure... but is that because the lyrics are so bad...?)

Yeah! Oh yeah! Oh life! Oh life!

I'm afraid of the dark
Especially when I'm in a park [color="#FF0000"](nice bit of rhyming couplets for starters...)[/color]
And there's no one else around,
Oh I get the shivers.
I don't want to see a ghost,
It's the sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast [color="#FF0000"](scraping the barrel in order to get the rhyme)[/color]
And watch the evening news.

Chorus:
Life, oh life! Oh life! Oh life! doo,
Doot doot dooo... Life, oh life! Oh life!
Oh life! doo doot doo

I'm a superstitious girl
I'm the worst in the world
Never walk under the ladders,
I keep a rabbit's tail. [color="#FF0000"](lets just forget the fact that it's a rabbit's foot that is lucky...)[/color]
I'll take you up on the dare,
Anytime, anywhere; [color="#FF0000"](how about Friday 13th, under a ladder then??)[/color]
Name the place, [color="#FF0000"](OK, let's make it a ladder...)[/color]
I'll be there,
Bungee jumping, I don't care!

Chorus

Life! Doo doo doo doo doo...

So after all said and done
I know I'm not the only one [color="#FF0000"](not the only one that what?)[/color]
Life indeed can be fun,
If you really want to. [color="#FF0000"](does this actually make any sense?)[/color]
Sometimes living out your dreams,
Ain't as easy as it seems
You wanna fly around the world, [color="#FF0000"]love the drum fill here...[/color]
In a beautiful balloon.

Chorus (2x)

Doo doot doo doot. Repeat
Oh, life, oh life! Repeat till fade

Remember "Return Of The MAc" by Marc Morrison and how that 5 string used to make ur speakers pop out the car doors! great simple bass line and one that got me off fours for a while,

As Spock says "Remember" [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_hYH1z3kyw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_hYH1z3kyw[/url]

Ill get my coat!

[quote name='OldGit' post='290772' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:28 PM']You don't mean Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses do you?
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-IQWLnD51c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-IQWLnD51c[/url]

Tracy Wormworth played the bass on that.[/quote]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='290768' date='Sep 24 2008, 12:24 PM']Christmas Wrapping? by the Waitesses? That wasn't Guy Pratt...[/quote]

Looks like I was full-on, totally mis-informed! I could've sworn I read somewhere it was G.P.! As you can tell, I've never got round to studying the song/players, let along 'scribing it :)

Thanks for the correction!