Why become a member? ×

Filter preamp challenge - options please

bootleg

I have a Euro 4LX purchased here some years ago. It came with an ACG EQ02 filter pre-amp fitted, and the original Tone Pump. It has EMG PJ pickups. The challenge of using filter preamps is a common experience, they appear to be a bit Marmite.

I have read widely on the topic, and I can dial in a very narrow sweetish spot with the EQ02 and adjust with pup balance and tone. There does appear to be a wide spectrum of unusable sounds as well. I can't quite get a P or a J sound. I am not using the guitar much, though I love its playability and feel and looks, but certainly won't gig it, as only the slightest of movement on the EQ02 controls changes the sound massively.

I have tried a variety of strings as well and had mixed results, but same limited usable sound palette (IMO).

My questions are:

1) am I hearing the EMGs or the ACG?
2) do I want to hear the EMGs more?
3) should I put the Tone Pump back in?
4) should I try a different pre-amp? I have an OBP3 eleswhere and get on well with it.
5) should I try different pups?
6) should I sell the whole package?

Edited by bootleg

3 and 5

When I had a Euro 4LX I tried different pickups from EMG to change the sound.
They make a huge range of pickup configurations that fit in your cover size.

see link......http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/extended-series.html

The Tone Pump is great preamp, put it back in.

IMHO

[quote name='spyder' timestamp='1457103730' post='2995402']
3 and 5

When I had a Euro 4LX I tried different pickups from EMG to change the sound.
They make a huge range of pickup configurations that fit in your cover size.

see link......http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/extended-series.html

The Tone Pump is great preamp, put it back in.

IMHO
[/quote]

Yeah, installing the Tone Pump is the simplest option.

Thanks for the link. They do a passive version of the PJs as well.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1457167664' post='2995893']
I'd say try 3 (or 4) first. Then if that doesn't work then try 5 and if that doesn't work then 6 is the last resort...
[/quote]

Thanks.

Just dug out the Tonepump and it looks to be the original variant with no trim pot. Does that effect my decision? There's a lot of negative views on this about it being too "hot".

Of all the filter preamps I'd say the EQ02 is the hardest to sort out on a two pickup bass as you have to accommodate the output from both pickups and the blend control setting with just one filter stack and the treble stack. I much prefer the ones with a filter stack per pickup (plus the treble stack and preferably the active/passive tone control too) so you can can get each one to sound like you want it and then just use the blend to your heart's content.

They are a bit marmite I agree, but if you invest the time they are great. Also the SEQ is quite nifty, it's a bit like having a really good tone control for each pickup and a volume/blend stack. Still has multiple adjustment if you want them but very intuitive.

EQ02 is fine for single pickup basses though.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1457210049' post='2996451']
Of all the filter preamps I'd say the EQ02 is the hardest to sort out on a two pickup bass as you have to accommodate the output from both pickups and the blend control setting with just one filter stack and the treble stack. I much prefer the ones with a filter stack per pickup (plus the treble stack and preferably the active/passive tone control too) so you can can get each one to sound like you want it and then just use the blend to your heart's content.

They are a bit marmite I agree, but if you invest the time they are great. Also the SEQ is quite nifty, it's a bit like having a really good tone control for each pickup and a volume/blend stack. Still has multiple adjustment if you want them but very intuitive.

EQ02 is fine for single pickup basses though.
[/quote]

I have the two sets of EQ02 in one of my basses, one for each pickup then master volume and pan John East fitted it to one of my basses and it's a great system. I had it in a neck through bass but found it wasn't punchy enough for me so its been moved into a bolt on bass and it seems more at home there. Filters are pretty much an acquired taste and you do have to put in quite a lot of time to get to grips about what they can do for your sound but once you get it, you can get some amazing bass tones in your arsenal from just one bass. I love them and find them easier to use that 3 band eq's etc.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1457280954' post='2996996']
...Filters are pretty much an acquired taste and you do have to put in quite a lot of time to get to grips about what they can do for your sound but once you get it, you can get some amazing bass tones in your arsenal from just one bass. I love them and find them easier to use that 3 band eq's etc.
[/quote]

This...

I initially had problems with the pre in my ACG Harlot - was very frustrating but with patience and persistence I've managed to get my head around what it can do and I'm more than happy with the range of tones available.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1457280954' post='2996996']
I have the two sets of EQ02 in one of my basses, one for each pickup then master volume and pan John East fitted it to one of my basses and it's a great system. I had it in a neck through bass but found it wasn't punchy enough for me so its been moved into a bolt on bass and it seems more at home there. Filters are pretty much an acquired taste and you do have to put in quite a lot of time to get to grips about what they can do for your sound but once you get it, you can get some amazing bass tones in your arsenal from just one bass. I love them and find them easier to use that 3 band eq's etc.
[/quote]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1457352002' post='2997557']
This...

I initially had problems with the pre in my ACG Harlot - was very frustrating but with patience and persistence I've managed to get my head around what it can do and I'm more than happy with the range of tones available.
[/quote]

I have had the bass with the EQ02 in it for some years, and have kept coming back to it (I like the bass, and I don't like to be beaten, in fact I can be quite bloody/single minded, dogged, determined, etc), but I suppose the issue for me at end of the day is I can't get a "range of tones".

So the "potentiometer mounting nuts" were missing from the Tonepump (different size to the ACG), and Maplins was a waste of time, but nice guy Steve at Bristol PMT helped me out today. Paul Reed Smith was in PMT doing a meet and greet at the time. Lot of discussion on woods, especially having very dry wood.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1457340352' post='2997414']
Interesting take jazzyvee.

Did you keep the treble stack for each pickup too?
[/quote]
Yes I did keep the treble stacks and have one for each pickup. However I only tend to use them if I have the low pass filters closed or nearly closed to give me clarity and some attack on the notes as you can get into heavy dub territory down there. . :-)

Edited by jazzyvee

The Tonepump is in. My first such install. Amazed it worked first time.

Know where I am with the TP immediately, and can dial in some good tones easily. Will test it out at rehearsal this week.

The ACG definitely had its own character.

Thanks for the posts.