Why become a member? ×

Another Bass Player Wanted Ad Critique

blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1456937947' post='2993802']
...which just goes to show that all is entirely dependent upon the outlook of the person reading the ad, as one would expect. Some prefer one, some another... I don't see where this could go, really. What's the [i]real [/i]question..? :unsure:
[/quote]

If pointless rambling and going round in circles ISN'T the point of Basschat, I must have missed something. :mellow:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456937658' post='2993798']
Whether we like country or not band number 2 is the only real established band with gigs and the eopportunity to make some money.

Blue
[/quote]

Not in this country it wouldn't.

You might get a few barn dances but over here we have Celidh bands with callers.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1456944789' post='2993902']

You might get a few barn dances but over here we have Celidh bands with callers.
[/quote]

I don't know, there have been a few country & western inspired hits in the UK charts in recent months, I'm starting to wonder if it may be the coming 'thing'.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1456948247' post='2993967']
I don't know, there have been a few country & western inspired hits in the UK charts in recent months, I'm starting to wonder if it may be the coming 'thing'.
[/quote]

The UK C&W scene is a bit like the UK heavy metal scene, it's hiding in plain sight but you won't see it unless you know where to look. I know a fair few C&W players who have made respectable livings out of playing in C&W bands. As a rule, the clientele are quite well-heeled and prepared to pay for a good band.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1456944789' post='2993902']

[/quote]

Not my cup of tea, however I would play country with no problem if it's a oro level band with a lot of good paying high end gigs booked.

Blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1456943402' post='2993886']
None grab me. No. 4 especially. I image the writer/guitarist will know exactly what he (thinks) he wants the bas player to be playing, except that he can't play it himself, so he needs you to play just as he tells you.

Or [s]maybe[/s] I'm just a pessimistic cynic

P.S. This is probably why I'm not in a band.
[/quote]

If your paying me well, yeah you can tell me what bass lines to play and I'll be happy to do it.

It's just like any other job, you do what your boss asks you to do.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456952432' post='2994044']

I'd play anything on those terms!
[/quote]

That's what I'm saying. I like those $600.00 weekends.

I"m for art and the creative process as much as the next guy. But I'm also for business and making money.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1456952174' post='2994036']
Not my cup of tea, however I would play country with no problem if it's a oro level band with a lot of good paying high end gigs booked.

Blue
[/quote]

I really don't understand that Blue. I thought you were a pro musician because you enjoy it. Surely the enjoyment will wain rapidly if you don't like what you are playing. A $600 dollar weekend is, I believe, about wedding band territory in the UK.

Having abandoned my rock ways in the past for a similar venture I'd take number 4 everyday of the week.

I've never made more money or been in a band with such a loyal following as when I had a foray into the psychobilly scene.*

The bass lines are fast and fun. The gigs are (usually) very well attended.

It's definitely something that I'd go back in to if the opportunity arose at the right time.

My Two-penneth and your experience may differ.

*I'm not including the covers bands I've been in as part of this statement.

Some folk might like it, but there's no way I could play C&W basslines all night every gig unless I was getting paid well & able to take the parney out of it.
I don't mind playing the odd song, but I'd rather be in any of the other 3 bands.

Reminds me of a joke...

Why do cowboys have poop in their tash?

# Just looking for love in all the wrong places.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1457010321' post='2994422']

I really don't understand that Blue. I thought you were a pro musician because you enjoy it. Surely the enjoyment will wain rapidly if you don't like what you are playing. A $600 dollar weekend is, I believe, about wedding band territory in the UK.
[/quote]

I play for a living, not sure that makes me a pro.

My point was, I'll play any genre as long as It's a professional operation and It pays well.

Generally a $600.00 weekend is wedding band territory. It's also agency representation territory.

We're a 4 piece and I would bet that for the two to three 2k gigs we play I walk away with more cash than the bass player in a band that pays a % to an agency.However, I'm sure they beat me out by year end.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1457041833' post='2994841']
Some folk might like it, but there's no way I could play C&W basslines all night every gig unless I was getting paid well & able to take the parney out of it.
I don't mind playing the odd song, but I'd rather be in any of the other 3 bands.

Reminds me of a joke...

Why do cowboys have poop in their tash?

# Just looking for love in all the wrong places.
[/quote]

Band number 1 is not really a band. Classic boys night out for fun.

Blue

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1456949563' post='2993988']
Band 2 for me. In fact I answered the ad in October and have my second and third gigs with the band this weekend.

EDIT - Here's the proof:

[/quote]

Looks like a pro operation. Cool!

Blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1456943402' post='2993886']
None grab me. No. 4 especially. I image the writer/guitarist will know exactly what he (thinks) he wants the bas player to be playing, except that he can't play it himself, so he needs you to play just as he tells you.

Or [s]maybe[/s] I'm just a pessimistic cynic

P.S. This is probably why I'm not in a band.
[/quote]

Not a big deal. If your not in a band it probably means one of 2 things;

1. You don't want to be in a band

2. The type of band you would play in just isn't available or realistic.

Blue

[size=2][i]Band 1.[/i]
[i]Looking for a bass player for classic rock blues band. We are retired from our original bands, but still want to jam,not looking to play out anymore. We lost our bass player due to travel.
come jam with us![/i][/size]

I'd rather go to a jam night instead of just turning up in a room somewhere, indulging someone's desire to play, but not in front of people.

[size=2][i]Band 2.[/i]
[i]Established country band seeks experienced bassist for immediate opening. Vocals required and additional instruments a plus. Have several quality bookings through summer and stay very active throughout the year. Serious inquiries only please.[/i][/size]

[size=2][size=4][i]Sounds legit to me, but sounds like a seasonal gig.[/i][/size]

[i]Band 3.[/i]
[i]Start Up, We are Drummer & 2 Guitarist's seeking a Bass player to play cover music 70's- current, We would like to rehearse once a week till ready and then play live once a month.[/i][/size]

[size=2][i][size=4]Rehearsing once a week to go out once a month is futile. Bedroom boys.[/size][/i]

[i]Band 4.[/i]
[i]Singer/guitarist needs to find a local bass player to help finish up my original music with the goal of playing out. Style is a mixture of goth/horror punk/thrash/psycho-billy.[/i][/size]

Meh.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1457050083' post='2994939']
[size=2][i]Band 1.[/i]
[i]Looking for a bass player for classic rock blues band. We are retired from our original bands, but still want to jam,not looking to play out anymore. We lost our bass player due to travel.
come jam with us![/i][/size]

I'd rather go to a jam night instead of just turning up in a room somewhere, indulging someone's desire to play, but not in front of people.

[size=2][i]Band 2.[/i]
[i]Established country band seeks experienced bassist for immediate opening. Vocals required and additional instruments a plus. Have several quality bookings through summer and stay very active throughout the year. Serious inquiries only please.[/i][/size]

[size=2][size=4][i]Sounds legit to me, but sounds like a seasonal gig.[/i][/size]

[i]Band 3.[/i]
[i]Start Up, We are Drummer & 2 Guitarist's seeking a Bass player to play cover music 70's- current, We would like to rehearse once a week till ready and then play live once a month.[/i][/size]

[size=2][i][size=4]Rehearsing once a week to go out once a month is futile. Bedroom boys.[/size][/i]

[i]Band 4.[/i]
[i]Singer/guitarist needs to find a local bass player to help finish up my original music with the goal of playing out. Style is a mixture of goth/horror punk/thrash/psycho-billy.[/i][/size]

Meh.
[/quote]

My feelings exactly.

Blue