Why become a member? ×

Cleaning satin maple fingerboards.

Marvin

I've just bought a bottle of this ^^, but haven't even opened it yet..! It is supposed to do the trick (or I wouldn't have bought it..! :facepalm: ); look it up and try it, maybe..? A bottle should last a couple of decades, at least, as only a drop or two is required. There's an Irish mail order site selling it, at not too dear a price.
Just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1456852936' post='2992911']
I've just bought a Squier P bass and it's got a satin finish on the neck and fingerboard. What's the best thing to clean and maintain these boards/necks with? I did read lighter fluid.
[/quote]
Lighter fluid might be more "Rock n Roll", but the effect is no different from White Spirit. Better still would be a slightly damp soapy cloth, then dry it off with a towel, but where's the fun in that?

I've got Dr Duck's also and it's good.

Now ........ I've also tried/tested used on different stuff, " Johnson's baby oil " and I cannot tell the difference between that and Dr Duck's.
I know, I know that Duck's lasts ages but you can get a great bottle of baby oil for a fraction of the price and as I said...... I can't tell the difference and nor can anyone else that I've asked about this when showing it to them.
Also used it on a leather jacket and leather suite and tried Duck's on them as well with yet again, no difference between the two of them.

If anyone can tell the difference between Duck's and baby oil..let me know, as I'm interested to see/hear it.

[quote name='Colonel36' timestamp='1456857002' post='2992961']

Now ........ I've also tried/tested used on different stuff, " Johnson's baby oil " and I cannot tell the difference between that and Dr Duck's.
I know, I know that Duck's lasts ages but you can get a great bottle of baby oil for a fraction of the price and as I said...... I can't tell the difference and nor can anyone else that I've asked about this when showing it to them.
Also used it on a leather jacket and leather suite and tried Duck's on them as well with yet again, no difference between the two of them.

If anyone can tell the difference between Duck's and baby oil..let me know, as I'm interested to see/hear it.
[/quote]

Yes, I tried this same experiment, but using engine oil on the baby. It didn't turn out too well; I think SHMBO spotted the difference. Maybe I should not have used [i]used [/i]engine oil..? :unsure:

:lol: :P

Lighter fluid is very similar to white spirit but is less likely to leave a residue (higher hydrocarbon fractions?) Both are basic solvents when used for cleaning and should help remove stubborn gunk without too much detrimental effect :)

Lighter fluid (Naptha) is best.
It's volatile, so won't stay on the surface more than a few seconds and leaves no residue.

Squirt some in an egg cup, wrap a clean rag round your finger and just dip the tip into the fluid, then rub the wetted rag on the fretboard. You can 'pull' the dirt to the middle of each section and 'lift' it off the surface.
I use this method when cleaning rare and vintage bodies and necks.

Karl

I looked this up recently as my new Lakland has a satin-ish maple neck and fingerboard (compared to the very glossy maple fingerboards of Fender and Squier).

Lakland recommend using Orange oil, apparently less harmful than lemon oil and a good cleaner.

[quote name='Colonel36' timestamp='1456857002' post='2992961']

[/quote]

Please don't use baby oil or any other oil of that nature on leathers. It will work to a degree but without going into the science its not the best stuff. Renapur and ledar grease from altberg boots is what you want.

Overtime baby oil, lemon oil any mineral oil will actually dry leather and wood out. Some natural oils are no good either and tend to rot.

As for a maple board a slightly damp cloth and a wipe is good, only go further if its really crapped up. No oil at all needs to go on a maple board, what you will end up doing is driving crap into the fret slots where it will fester. Just like rosewood boards etc only need oil on rare occasions for much the same reason.
Lighter fluid is good if boards are manky though.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1456854488' post='2992925']
Lighter fluid might be more "Rock n Roll", but the effect is no different from White Spirit. [b]Better still would be a slightly damp soapy cloth[/b], then dry it off with a towel, but where's the fun in that?
[/quote]

That's what MusicMan recommend on their instruments, I believe. They have a section on cleaning necks/fingerboards and various products... worth a visit