Why become a member? ×

News of NAS

skywalker

Hi All

For those who went to the Midlands Bash last year, I have had an e-mail from NAS.

Sadly Nick's wife died earlier this year, after losing a battle with Lung Cancer, so he has been out of circulation for a while. He is now back to doing some sound engineering and playing with a couple of bands, so let's hope that Bass is helping overcome his loss. Nick is one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet, and I am sure we all wish him well for the future.

He has also let me know that he would like to host a Bash at Shakenhurst Hall next year. Those who went last time will remember what a brilliant and unique place this is for a bash (not every day you get offered free use of a stately home). It will I suppose be May or June, but I will keep in touch with Nick and pass details once a date is fixed. As it is just possible he may be leaving Shakenhurst sometime later next year, I think we should all try and make it memorable occasion. The Hall is slightly out in the Styx (deepest rural Worcestershire), but is well worth the journey (about 90 miles for me, and I wouldn't miss it).

Just a heads up for everybody.

Steve

[quote name='beerdragon' post='288838' date='Sep 21 2008, 09:44 PM']I managed to get to Nicks place last year, really nice bloke and a wonderful place. sorry to hear of his loss, if there is another bass event there next year count me in.[/quote]

+1

I couldn't agree more. Nick made us all feel really welcome, a really genuine and friendly guy.
It's sad to hear about him losing his wife, I hope his music will get him through it.
Keep us posted Steve, looking forward to another bash at such a spectacular location.

Pete.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='288813' date='Sep 21 2008, 10:01 PM']Thats sad news about his wife. The house was on her side of the family wasn't it? I hope he's OK and dealing with things. Sounds like it would be a pretty cool event to have. I remember the photos and the property was pretty impressive![/quote]

The house belonged to Nick's wife's forbears, it had been in the family for many generations I think.

Thank you Steve for posting this so sympathetically.

What a lovely group of guys you are - thank you so much for your kind wishes.

Here's Mandy from better days with Mr Grumpy:

and here she is on New Year's Eve this year in an 18th century wedding dress that has been in the house since it was first used:

a real joy as a partner and best friend.

Yes please - do give some thought as to whether you'd like to have some kind of bass centred event up here in the wilds of Worcestershire (the estate forms the north-east corner of the county) some time in the spring maybe. I have a P.A. here, so if anyone wants to bring some other musicians we can even have some countryside jamming!

Best wishes to all,
Nick S

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='289355' date='Sep 22 2008, 05:52 PM']Why not make it a fund raiser for a charity of your choice Nick, in your wifes name? Is it possible to get a few basschat bands there perhaps?[/quote]

CK, sounds like a good idea. Cancer Research UK is current favourite with Amnesty International close behind. I've long had a fantasy of setting up a stage in a natural amphitheatre in the park - depends a bit on weather though! Flat bed truck (stage), generator, and loos would be the main requirements, unless the audience got big in which case a proper beefy P.A. would be required.

Not sure how much effort or funds (all Mandy's stuff is in probate at the moment and will be for some time) I will be able to give to this, but venue I can offer.

Anyone willing to get involved in organizing a not too large event (the drive is single lane with passing places) would be welcome.

Nick S

[quote name='beerdragon' post='288838' date='Sep 21 2008, 10:44 PM']I managed to get to Nicks place last year, really nice bloke and a wonderful place. sorry to hear of his loss, if there is another bass event there next year count me in.[/quote]

I had the pleasure of going last year too & a finer host & knowledgable chap you couldn't wish to meet.
Deeply sorry to hear about your loss.

Sending you my best wishes & so much looking forward to seeing soon at next years bass bash.

Edited by Bernmeister

This looks like we may be able get something well worthwhile together. Ped / CK any chance of stickying this please so it comes to everybody's attention, and if anyone can drag a drummer / guitarist / keyboards and singer along we could end with a good jam and make some money for Nick's charities.

Steve

• 4 months later...

Only just found this thread...

Belated condolences Nick, I lost my dad a good few years ago now of the same cause, so I can empathise.

If any such event does occur, I'll be there to inflict an Aria or two for sure - I'm certain my "chauffeur" won't need his arm twisted either!

All the Best,

Pete.