Why become a member? ×

The Psychology Of GAS

discreet

I think a lot of the original post is correct - at the moment I have a Precision and a Jazz, so am GASSING for a Jazz Bass Special so that I have the P/J sound covered as well. Which is daft cos all I ever use in a band setting is a Precision. The want for P/J sound is probably down to my Duff McKagan worship though.

Amp-wise though I`ve got it sorted, no GAS there, nor for effects - until I buy and sell the next of many compressors that is.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1455998302' post='2984463']
I have a mate who buys up vintage printing gear and old brass typefaces; another who collects Russian militaria and Geiger counters; one who's into cider making (more gear - and more useful!); another who has more bicycles than is possible to ride in a week; a friend who's running shoe collection puts Imelda Marcos to shame; another who collects T-shirts; my dad who has an attic full of old computers and sheds stocked with HAM radio gear; a mate who collects, builds and sells on vintage cars; numerous friends hoarding piles of vinyl and yet still buying more... and so on.
[/quote]

I collect eighteenth-century English drinking glasses. Who knew? Everyone, now. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455976539' post='2984151']
[b]The Psychology Of GAS[/b]

How many people of this parish are actually better players than the gear they already have and need better/more expensive gear?
[/quote]

Assuming good setup, the quality of even low-end gear makes this scenario almost impossible today. Almost...

I'm no better than anyone else when it comes to GAS, but put a stop to it by deciding what I needed to do the job, and leaving it at that.

However...
I DO need new IEMs...
:)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1455980661' post='2984217']
I think GAS was much less of a problem before t'internet arrived. Makes it all too easy now.
[/quote]

Too right!! :gas: :gas: :gas:

Back in the day, you scoured local press, music papers (NME etc) guitar mags, almost all of the time,
no pictures and if there were any, almost all in black and white.

No mobole phones - it could take you several calls to catch the person in and then they would describe
it as wonderful, so you would head out - 10, 20, 30, 40 miles, or more - get there, take one look and
instinctively know it was a dog - go through the motions and then say "sorry, it's not for me" and drive all
the way back.
This painful process would be repeated several times until you had found what you were looking for.

That was why music shops flourished - players just couldn't bear the grief of all that running around.

Now. . . . . click on something, like the look - perhaps ask for more details using your "mobile phone"
and pay for it with "PayPal", sit tight at home - a knock on the door next day and there it is.

GAS was around back then but the single biggest cause of GAS these days, is t'inernet!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

It is SO easy to be tempted and SO easy to go through the process.

Nurse. . . . my medication please!! :P :P :P

;)

I have four basses, a zoom and a combo
A p bass workhorse
A hohner b2 for lunchtime practise
An acoustic for OM night where I have no amp
A stingray copy for sentimental reasons - partner bought it for me

I don't think gas has too tight a hold on me

[quote name='peted' timestamp='1456134536' post='2985597']
I still lust after backline that is lighter, louder, lower...
[/quote]

I suppose I have GAS for a smaller combo, but as it's needed for a real-world situation it's not really GAS, is it? :P

Edited by discreet

I seem to be afflicted by GAS in the same way as I am my bad back. There is a constant latency about it - the condition always exists but doesn't always manifest itself. Then I see a picture of something interesting and, bang, there it is - full blown GAS.

GAS is all about inspiration, and a lot of GAS is understanding that desiring the item is better than having it. I've found this all my life, I wanted a parker fly guitar for 20 years, I eventually bought one and it's a great guitar but 4 years down the line it's just a guitar now rather than the magical item it was before I bought it.

It ties into the human desire to be better, to get more.. It's about the excitement of getting that item and it's as much about what the excitement will do to your playing as the item itself.

GAS is good. Too much GAS turns into financial flatulence.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1456137743' post='2985661']
GAS is all about inspiration, and a lot of GAS is understanding that desiring the item is better than having it. I've found this all my life, I wanted a parker fly guitar for 20 years, I eventually bought one and it's a great guitar but 4 years down the line it's just a guitar now rather than the magical item it was before I bought it.

It ties into the human desire to be better, to get more.. It's about the excitement of getting that item and it's as much about what the excitement will do to your playing as the item itself.

GAS is good. Too much GAS turns into financial flatulence.
[/quote]

Maybe not quite as Philip Larkin called it: "fulfillment's desolate attic".

What did the caveman acquire? Essentials for survival. Food. Fuel. Tools. We've moved on (a little), so my man cave is full of essential, well researched and carefully chosen tools, they all do something different, and I occasionally upgrade. I am genetically driven to acquire.

I like to think of GAS, and it's equivalent for collectors of other things, as being an evolutionary throw back to our hunter-gatherer past. An expensive bass hung on the wall is the equivalent of a trophy deer skull hung outside your camp. A sign of your prowess and skill as a hunter-gatherer. It is what makes you a more attractive proposition to a potential partner.

It is definitely made worse by seeing everyone else's stags regularly on the web.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1456142831' post='2985759']
An expensive bass hung on the wall is the equivalent of a trophy deer skull hung outside your camp. It is what makes you a more attractive proposition to a potential partner.
[/quote]

For some reason any new 'deer skulls' I hang on the wall have the opposite effect on the current mrs discreet...

I'm always looking for effects pedals and microphones. I'm pretty sure I can justify that and it's nothing to do with GAS

The only times I've really suffered are when I've absolutely "fallen for" a bass and I just have to have it. The last one was about 6 years ago. I looked at this bass and the price drops on here for about 6 months before I finally bought it. So yeh, I think I'm GAS free, but it's probably more to do with my available funds than self control :)