Why become a member? ×

Any builders in the UK that could make this bass?

project_c

Looking into short scale options at the moment, but really I just want what I already play, but smaller. So basically what you see below - a perfectly downscaled precision bass body, with normal precision pickups, probably SPB3's, with a 30" maple neck, and a normal Fender style headstock. Is there anyone in the UK that could do this, and make it sound and play like a precision?

Thanks guys, sounds like I need to drop him an email.

Re. the Mustang - I did think about this, but those pickups aren't going to work for me, I'd like to be able to drop in standard precision pickups like the SPB-3's (and take them out again if I hate them). Unless you know of a Mustang model that uses normal P pickups? There are pics out there but I think they're mods.

I emailed, and got a very quick reply! Turns out the Jake model exists in short and medium scale too, and it looks pretty good to me, the price is very good for a brand new bass. I'd go for a black / maple, and possibly different pickups, but other than that these look tasty. Anyone tried the short scales? How's the neck?

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1455917310' post='2983718']
There was a 7/8 scale P bass on eBay recently - is that the sort of thing that you were after??
[/quote]

I think 7/8 is too small, isn't that 24 inches? I'm after 30, possibly 32, bit scared of anything smaller than a 30. (I play standard p-basses at the moment).

How about this? Black scaled down Precision bass body, 32" scale and, if you don't use the J pup, sounds just like a Precision:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277406-132-price-drop-mid-80s-fender-jazz-bass-special-mij-32-scale-all-black-pj-535-l400-posted/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277406-132-price-drop-mid-80s-fender-jazz-bass-special-mij-32-scale-all-black-pj-535-l400-posted/[/url]

OK, shameless plug for something that isn't exactly as specified but, well, you know... :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1456046647' post='2984700']
How about this? Black scaled down Precision bass body, 32" scale and, if you don't use the J pup, sounds just like a Precision:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277406-132-price-drop-mid-80s-fender-jazz-bass-special-mij-32-scale-all-black-pj-535-l400-posted/"]http://basschat.co.u...35-l400-posted/[/url]

OK, shameless plug for something that isn't exactly as specified but, well, you know... :)
[/quote]

I did stare at that for ages the other day, it's really nice, I've already had to get my girlfriend to talk me out of it once (voice of reason vs gas). I'm after a maple neck ideally, and it hasn't quite got the traditional 'jazz standards on electric bass' vibe i'm going for, but regardless of that it's a beauty. The price is crazy, very surprised it's still here.

Me too :)

I'd recommend spending a while sifting through some of the Japanese eBay sellers. There seems to be more short and medium scale basses floating around over there. Secondhand prices are very low so that, even with all the extras you get hit with when importing, you can often find more choice at an acceptable price. I've bought 3 basses from Japan in the past few years and it has always been a surprisingly pleasant and uncomplicated procedure.