Why become a member? ×

Down to the wire - Aguilar TH500 or MB Little Tube 800

pendingrequests

It's finally decision time.

I've had enough of Ampeg. They have had my PF500 for nearly a month and only today did I finally get an update.

I love the aesthetic of the Portaflex cabs, so for now I am keeping both (15 and the 2x10)

The gigs will range from using either 1 or 2 cabs. So the head needs to meet the requirements of both scenarios.

Aguilar TH500 - More expensive, but from the TH pedal it sounds great. Output at 8 ohms is lower than the MB

MB Little Tube 800 - Power at 8ohms and 4 ohms, mix between tube signal and dry, but doesn't fit in as aesthetically as the TH500.

HELP!

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1455723997' post='2981848']

I've had enough of Ampeg. They have had my PF500 for nearly a month and only today did I finally get an update.

I love the aesthetic of the Portaflex cabs, so for now I am keeping both (15 and the 2x10)

The gigs will range from using either 1 or 2 cabs. So the head needs to meet the requirements of both scenarios.

Aguilar TH500 - More expensive, but from the TH pedal it sounds great. Output at 8 ohms is lower than the MB

MB Little Tube 800 - Power at 8ohms and 4 ohms, mix between tube signal and dry, but doesn't fit in as aesthetically as the TH500.

HELP!
[/quote]
Watching this with interest, I keep looking at the Little Mark Tube 500 and TH500, and also the GK MB Fusion!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1455729947' post='2981919']
The PF800 has always had good reviews and doesn't seem to have had any of the reliability issues that's dogged the PF500 in the past.

But I have the TH500 and it's a great amp that I'd recommend over many other current amps.
[/quote]

When my PF500 comes back, I am gonna compare it with the MB, as thats the only one I can get a listen to in Belfast. Then if sounds better, go for the PF800.

Maybe :blink:

I like the MB Tube amps, but love the Tonehammers. Plus they are rated quite conservatively apparently. From what I`ve heard the insides of the TH500 are the same as what some other makers have in their 800/900 watt amps.

I was also Ampeg nuts, but Aguilar to me have added a slightly more modern twist to the Ampeg sound, while still being able to produce a good old-school sound if needed. Tonehammer gets my vote.

[quote name='danbanbass' timestamp='1455957018' post='2983876']
I tried both when I went to buy a new head and the Aguilar to me had a certain something from the get go that I really liked...its a wolf in Sherpa clothing.
[/quote]

Thats good to know man thanks! :)

My only thing is that, I have the Tonehammer pedal, so the idea of mixing and matching sounds is appealing (TH pedal with MB Bass head)

I feel as if I had the TH pedal and TH head, the pedal maybe redundant?

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1456226513' post='2986754']
I feel as if I had the TH pedal and TH head, the pedal maybe redundant?
[/quote]

Not necessarily - if you do gigs with provided rigs having the pedal means you`ve always got your sound into whatever amp/FOH you`re using. And if your amp breaks down at a gig, put the pedal into the PA.

Hmmm, I've just bought a Tube 500 and I'm so far unconvinced. The 28 day return is coming up so I better make my mind up.

It sounds OK, plenty of volume and well, OK. That's it really. I much prefer the sound of my ancient HA3500. The MB is clean and punchy but has a slightly boxy sound to it which I can eq down but which remains somehow. Interestingly it works much better with my J bass than my American Deluxe P and with my 15's better than my 12's or 10's. Unfortunately we've had a quiet period for gigs in the last four weeks so I've yet to use it in anger. It also sounds better with my B1ON feeding it, but I don't particularly like pedals normally.

I bought it because I tried another BC'ers LM111 (thanks Stevie) with my bass and speakers and that sounded great, as did Stevie with his band and his own rig.

Of course I've had years getting exactly what I want out of the HA3500 and it's the sound I love but I'm a little underwhelmed by the MB Tube so far.

I'm biased.

I've been using a TH500 for a couple of years. I liked it so much I bought another as a backup.

The TH500 apparently uses the same power module as other 900 watt rated amps. Don't be distracted by it's lower rating. This is a loud amp.

So I'd get the TH500 and start saving up for some Bergantino or Barefaced cabs to go with it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1456826783' post='2992524']
I'm biased.

I've been using a TH500 for a couple of years. I liked it so much I bought another as a backup.

The TH500 apparently uses the same power module as other 900 watt rated amps. Don't be distracted by it's lower rating. This is a loud amp.

So I'd get the TH500 and start saving up for some Bergantino or Barefaced cabs to go with it.
[/quote]

Recently picked up a TH500 and am so, so. impressed. I'm collecting my Barefaced Big Baby 2 to pair with it on Saturday. Got a good feeling about this one.

Ah thank you!

So had my first rehearsal with my Ampeg PF115HE.

First off, when pushing it (around 12 o'clock) because the Aguilar is so light, it was shaking on top of the amp and vibrating! So if I am going to keep it, I will have to attached it to the cab.

Sound-wise, it was great. Full and pretty much got what my TH Pedal was doing.

However, I think my P Bass is distorting :blink: Specifically on G, on my Low E string. Not entirely sure whats causing that or how that could happen??

I have another rehearsal with another band on Thursday and I'll be using two cabs, so I will get a different perspective then. And with a different bass.

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1455723997' post='2981848']

HELP!
[/quote]

First, I'd advise not to pay too much attention to power differences. There really isn't much between them in reality.

I was exactly at the same place a couple of years ago. I tried both amps and I ended up buying the LMT800. Both sounded good, but I found the LMT800 more intuitive to use and it just worked better, for me. The TH500 can sound great but all the controls seem to interact and that frustrated me a bit. Maybe I wasn't patient enough, but I liked the LMT800 best, regardless... so that's what I went for.
Tube/SS mix is a bit of a gimmick, really. It barely has any effect. I personally liked it best with the mix at 50% or perhaps a bit towards SS... but in the mix you won't tell the difference.

After a few months I ended up selling the LMT800 and bought a Genz Benz Streamliner 900. I still have it and I prefer it to either of those two. It excels at 'old school' sounds, but it can do modern as well.
Don't think much about the 900W rating by the way... I recently tried this against a Mesa D800 (800W) and a MarkBass LM3 (500W) through the same speakers... there wasn't that much of a difference at 8 ohm with 4x 12" speakers. Anything above 300W is probably going to do the job (volume-wise) if you have the right speakers.

edit: too late to the party! :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1457375334' post='2997940']
My TH500 never moves around on my Berg or Barefaced cabs.

That's not a good sign if it's happening on your Ampeg cab.
[/quote]

Well the piece of wood that opens the cab and the clips as part of the portaflex series isn't very heavy and with the TH being so light, it makes sense. Especially with the 15 inch speaker rumbling with the amount of low end that I like!