Why become a member? ×

first gig with a new bass

bassbiscuits

Last night's gig was in a venue that I heard could get rowdy so I was a little concerned about giving my new Stingray it's debut. Everything was fine, and the bass sounded wonderful, cutting nicely through my two humbucker wielding six string bandmates.

Next week's show however is at a venue that I know does get rowdy so I might take the Squier out for that one!

Yup, although if I've done some of my own mods then there's always a little trepidation (not that anything bad has ever happened, my wiring/soldering is ok but I still doubt myself). I pretty much always use the bass I'm going to play at the gig at the rehearsal before - safety first!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455322342' post='2978260']
When your excited about it, it's always a good thing.

Nice to hear about someone excited about gigging for any reason.

Blue
[/quote]

Fully agree. My band was in the studio a couple of weeks ago and the producer got me to play through a Sansamp, mixing signal from that and my cab equally. Well I had to go out and buy one, no point in not sounding like I do on our album, and was really excited about the first gig with it.

Gig done. Sounded ace. Took my other bass along as spare but it never left the bag. Result!

Oh yes, and isn't it cool when you get a new bass, and you just plug it in and it sounds great, with no faffing about or tweaking of settings or needing a set up etc? Just re-string it, strap it on, rig it up and count me in!

Bliss.

I got a new bass a few months ago and it's still a joy to gig with it - hell its a joy to just sit and play it! More recently got a new rig and tried the preamp at home on the Saturday via my wee headphone mixer then into a tiny practice amp. Sounded good but needed to give it some beans in the practice room - had it at the rehearsal room the next day going into the line in of the Ashdown they have, bypassing the ashdown eq, into a muddy sounding ashdown 2x15 .... Feeling a bit like Goldielocks as this too sounded good but again not quite my rig........then finally later that same night I got to plug into my own cab and power amp at a gig.....

The sound was great and I was a a bit giddy to finally gig it with all my proper live gear! The bass was playing real nice and the rig was just full and plump with great punch too. Got it to sit nice and tight with the Kick drum and while I doubt the crowd realised why they were dancing we all knew ......right guys 😉

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1455591112' post='2980522']
I got a new bass a few months ago and it's still a joy to gig with it - hell its a joy to just sit and play it! More recently got a new rig and tried the preamp at home on the Saturday via my wee headphone mixer then into a tiny practice amp. Sounded good but needed to give it some beans in the practice room - had it at the rehearsal room the next day going into the line in of the Ashdown they have, bypassing the ashdown eq, into a muddy sounding ashdown 2x15 .... Feeling a bit like Goldielocks as this too sounded good but again not quite my rig........then finally later that same night I got to plug into my own cab and power amp at a gig.....

The sound was great and I was a a bit giddy to finally gig it with all my proper live gear! The bass was playing real nice and the rig was just full and plump with great punch too. Got it to sit nice and tight with the Kick drum and while I doubt the crowd realised why they were dancing we all knew ......right guys
[/quote]

Nice! its really satisfying playing a good gig, and knowing you've got great sound too.