Why become a member? ×

PRS basses

franzbassist

[quote name='walbassist' post='287295' date='Sep 19 2008, 02:03 PM']Hello all

I've been offered a PRS from the most recent production run for a really good price, and I'm just curious to know what people who have played one think of them. I assume fit and finish is top notch, but what about sound and playability?

Cheers

Gareth[/quote]

If they're anything like the guitars they'll look nice but not be anything other than overpriced.

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='Waldo' post='287308' date='Sep 19 2008, 02:17 PM']If they're anything like the guitars they'll look nice but not anything other than overpriced.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. Expensive - sure, but not overpriced. The quality of their guitars still puts Gibson and Fender to shame, and it was the big two's lack of quality per pound that made me look at PRS for the first time.

Anyway - here's my bass. Unfortunately, it's not from the series you're interested in, and I've not tried one but the first generation basses were pretty good other than the built in preamp which is junk. With it switched off and through an outboard preamp and it's ok.

I had the pleasure - or perhaps saying pleasure is an overstatement - of owning a 1999 EBass. As you would expect from PRS the quality of materials and construction were high - swamp ash body, bolt-on maple neck with pau ferro touchboard, and two jazz-type passive pickups. Unfortunately the sound quality didn't match the build quality, as it produced an ill-defined, bass-heavy tone. I've heard that the latter active versions were much more flexible, for tone, but I haven't tried one so can't comment. But, for me, an over-priced under performer. Of course, things may have changed in the past 10 years or so.

Felt the same way about a mid-90s Tyler 5-string. Another company that produce beautiful instruments - but is better known for its guitars than its basses - and on the strengths of the one I had, I can well see why.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='walbassist' post='287360' date='Sep 19 2008, 02:04 PM']Thanks for the comments guys. I've heard in a few places that the basses lack a bit sonically, and even though the price is good I don't want to buy a bass unplayed that turns out to be a dud.[/quote]

Yes, it's one of those true-isms that, on the surface, seems obvious but often takes bad experience before we learn - a bargain is only a bargain if it's something you wanted in the first place.

I stand by my comments. Still, it might depend on what you want the bass for. A guitar tech/recording engineer did say to me that the passive PRS Ebass is a superb bass for recording direct - although how many of us can afford to keep such expensive instruments for such limited use?

[quote name='Waldo' post='287308' date='Sep 19 2008, 02:17 PM']If they're anything like the guitars they'll look nice but not be anything other than overpriced.[/quote]

I disagree too, their guitars are worth the money, Gibson for example are overpriced (I own one though), PRS are as good as any other expensive guitar in the world.

Never played a PRS bass though as I don't like the look.

I don't know what your budget is, but I assume it's £1000 +/- £250. If the PRS isn't going to take your money, but you still want something nice, you might want to check out Spectors. Admittedly I haven't tried everything, and perhaps Sandbergs are worth a look too. Status & Modulus (used) might come in to the equation too.

I'm a recent convert to Spector, and a nice through-neck exotic wood Euro LX is in this range. After 35 years of using Fenders, Rickies, MM, Aria and the odd Warwick & Gibson thrown in, I haven't come across a better made, and better sounding bass guitar for the money. mmmmm those EMGs!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='287383' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:33 PM']I don't know what your budget is, but I assume it's £1000 +/- £250. If the PRS isn't going to take your money, but you still want something nice, you might want to check out Spectors. Admittedly I haven't tried everything, and perhaps Sandbergs are worth a look too. Status & Modulus (used) might come in to the equation too.[/quote]

I'm not desperate to buy another bass, as I have three already that I love. I just liked the idea of a nice 4 string, and as I tend towards boutique basses (look at my signature as a clue) thought I'd give this PRS a go.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='walbassist' post='287384' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:37 PM']I'm not desperate to buy another bass, as I have three already that I love. I just liked the idea of a nice passive 4 string, and as I tend towards boutique basses (look at my signature as a clue) thought I'd give this PRS a go.[/quote]

Where in Hampshire are you? (PM me if necessary).

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='287378' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:28 PM']I disagree too, their guitars are worth the money, Gibson for example are overpriced (I own one though), PRS are as good as any other expensive guitar in the world.

Never played a PRS bass though as I don't like the look.[/quote]

I think Les Pauls are overpriced in comparison to SG's.

[quote name='Waldo' post='287308' date='Sep 19 2008, 02:17 PM']If they're anything like the guitars they'll look nice but not be anything other than overpriced.[/quote]

And thats based on owning how many?

I own 2 PRS EBIVs they are quite simply superb. The earlier fixed neck models (like Dodges above) whilst having Mojo are not as clever or versatile as the newer active EB IV (2000-2004), however in the right hands sound Waaaay funky....

I have some very nice basses and sadly none of them compare soundwise or buildwise to the PRSs.....

I dont have shedloads of years playing basses but my guitarist and best mate who has been around the business for 25yrs owns + plays a PRS Custom 22's, and he has never seen or played a bass as good as my EB IVs. (including my CS Fender!) Passive it sounds like a J bass, Active it can do pretty much whatever you want and it does not hum, burp, fart, snap, crackle or pop. It sounds great with rounds, flats (my preferance) and even plastic flats....

Waldo, I promise you it will be good. I'll tell you what, if it is a mint EB IV from the above run, you buy it and dont like it I will have off you for what you paid for it how about that!

Heres my 2.....

Nice basses!

I've got an SE (matteo blue) in my guitar collection (15 guitars!) and for a cheapo version, its very well made and plays like butter! In fact, I have a small PRs-related anecdote for you! Back in 2000, Ian Hancock and myself exhibited our range of E Basses prototype models at the NEC Music Live show. I spotted the man himself, Paul Reed Smith and asked him to just have a look at what we were doing. He said he'd come back over next day (3 day show) and he stayed true to his word; he came over and spent around 40 minutes looking at and playing the basses - he actually said that they were the best he'd seen in ten years which considering they were prototypes, made our weekend!!! Very nice guy!

If anyone into guitar wants to check some PRS out, go down to Peach Ideas near Stansted - what a great shop!

Cheers!

Nick (Fosks PRS made my trousers go tight!!)

I've played one of the earlier run passive basses and, like everyone else, found it muddy and ill-defined. It was beautifully constructed though and only let down by the proprietary pups.

I heard that the latest run are being aimed at the more high-fidelity, modern bass player. Gary Grainger has also been involved in their design and his 'private stock model' looks the mutts.

[url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=CeLtNw-HTAQ"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=CeLtNw-HTAQ[/url]

Gary comes in at about 6.50 with some double thumbing.

Always been curious about PRS basses.....

I am a huge fan of their guitars. My friend has a CU22 Artist and it is the nicest playing guitar I have ever picked up. One of the guitarists in my band is using a CU22 which is gorgeous, our other guitarist used to use a Jonny Hiland signature and is in the market for another PRS now. However having never heard a PRS bass or even seen one in the flesh they are a rather unknown quantity......

[quote name='presoulnation' post='288611' date='Sep 21 2008, 04:59 PM']Always been curious about PRS basses.....

I am a huge fan of their guitars. My friend has a CU22 Artist and it is the nicest playing guitar I have ever picked up. One of the guitarists in my band is using a CU22 which is gorgeous, our other guitarist used to use a Jonny Hiland signature and is in the market for another PRS now. However having never heard a PRS bass or even seen one in the flesh they are a rather unknown quantity......[/quote]

Next local bass bash that I can get to I'll bring one of mine. I've extolled thier virtues enough and I dont want to sound boring but think CU22, but 4 string and you'll not be far wrong. I've found that if you want to keep a hifi sound you need to keep the batteries fresh, I like to let them get rid of that peak and then the flatwounds sound gorgeous.

As to the Grainger 5 string above, I made enquiries about getting one. They wanted a deposit of $6k and the balance would be worked out after I had told them what I want. :)

I may treat myself when I retire in 5 years time but thats a lot of money for a bass!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='288728' date='Sep 21 2008, 08:15 PM']As to the Grainger 5 string above, I made enquiries about getting one. They wanted a deposit of $6k and the balance would be worked out after I had told them what I want. :huh:

I may treat myself when I retire in 5 years time but thats a lot of money for a bass![/quote]

Yikes :) I dread to think what the end cost might have been! A Fodera might work out a little cheaper. :huh:

Edited by jmanfunk

[quote name='The Burpster' post='287560' date='Sep 19 2008, 06:30 PM']And thats based on owning how many?

I own 2 PRS EBIVs they are quite simply superb. The earlier fixed neck models (like Dodges above) whilst having Mojo are not as clever or versatile as the newer active EB IV (2000-2004), however in the right hands sound Waaaay funky....

I have some very nice basses and sadly none of them compare soundwise or buildwise to the PRSs.....

I dont have shedloads of years playing basses but my guitarist and best mate who has been around the business for 25yrs owns + plays a PRS Custom 22's, and he has never seen or played a bass as good as my EB IVs. (including my CS Fender!) Passive it sounds like a J bass, Active it can do pretty much whatever you want and it does not hum, burp, fart, snap, crackle or pop. It sounds great with rounds, flats (my preferance) and even plastic flats....

Waldo, I promise you it will be good. I'll tell you what, if it is a mint EB IV from the above run, you buy it and dont like it I will have off you for what you paid for it how about that!

Heres my 2.....[/quote]

You'd think i'd just insulted your own child or something. Chill out.

Sure they play nice, construction's great, sound good...all those things.

Just feel irrationally resistant ...perhaps it's the bling, the prices, those £30,000 Dragon guitars and the idea of 'Private Stock'. As a brand, it just seems a bit...smug? Not the players / owners - just the brand itself.

[quote name='Waldo' post='288985' date='Sep 22 2008, 09:59 AM']You'd think i'd just insulted your own child or something. Chill out.[/quote]

So you dont find it irritating when someone that doesnt own, hasnt owned or doesnt even desire to own a particular object slags it off without any foundaton?

Sorry but I do.....

If you'd owned 5 and they'd all been dud, then maybe your [i]OPINION[/i] would have some credibilty. I would be gobsmacked if you got any other response from any other of the owenrs of less than 'run of the mill' basses on here if you'd put that post about say; a Vigier or Shuker, Ritter, Modulus,Steinberger, Status ......etc....

Either point out that it is merely your opinion based on not owning any, or prferably keep it yourself until you have some foundation on which to base it, please.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='289317' date='Sep 22 2008, 05:10 PM']So you dont find it irritating when someone that doesnt own, hasnt owned or doesnt even desire to own a particular object slags it off without any foundaton?

Sorry but I do.....

If you'd owned 5 and they'd all been dud, then maybe your [i]OPINION[/i] would have some credibilty. I would be gobsmacked if you got any other response from any other of the owenrs of less than 'run of the mill' basses on here if you'd put that post about say; a Vigier or Shuker, Ritter, Modulus,Steinberger, Status ......etc....

Either point out that it is merely your opinion based on not owning any, or prferably keep it yourself until you have some foundation on which to base it, please.[/quote]

Right so I'm 'slagging it off without any foundation' and I also must own 5 of something in order to 'maybe' have some credebility? (MAYBE? :huh:) You also must own/have owned/have the desire to own something in order to have an opinion about it? Think about what you're saying there.

I've played several PRS guitars thoroughly and I came to the personal conclusion that they were very pretty and well put together but didn't have the sound to match it, certinaly not when you factor in their massive prices. What I said was [u]'if they're anything like the guitars[/u]...

I can't even beleive I'm justifying what I've said to you, I've honestly never seen someone get so riled and defensive over a peice of gear that they own. It really is fascinating :)