Why become a member? ×

Who's Madonna's current bassist?

phil_the_bassist

Ok, mrs PTB just txt me whilst in Paris (the trip I was gonna go on, but can't cos of the layoffs) to tell me the mate she's staying with has managed to get VIP tickets to Madge's gig in Paris tomorrow night. These include VIP dinner, cocktails, the works, and I'm gutted to say the least :) ! I was just wondering who's got the gig on bass? Perhaps she can use her feminine charms to get me some free stuff :huh:

*spelling edit*

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='287217' date='Sep 19 2008, 12:19 PM']Ok, mrs PTB just txt me whilst in Paris (the trip I was gonna go on, but can't cos of the layoffs) to tell me the mate she's staying with has managed to get VIP tickets to Madge's gig in Paris tomorrow night. These include VIP dinner, cocktails, the works, and I'm gutted to say the least :) ! I was just wondering who's got the gig on bass? Perhaps she can use her feminine charms to get me some free stuff :huh:

*spelling edit*[/quote]

I have no idea, but it used to be Darryl Jones. Mr Jones was killing time on a gig in Chicago and went to a local guitar emporium. He picked up a bass and started playing. The sales guy came up to him and started giving him all the chat, showing him all his best sales licks etc. and eventually asked if he played in any bands. Mr Jones told him what his gig was. Sales guy went very quiet and moved away.

[quote name='ped' post='287240' date='Sep 19 2008, 12:46 PM']Probably some kind of software now?[/quote]

Aww! Don't say that...that's no fun!

[quote name='owen' post='287239' date='Sep 19 2008, 12:45 PM']I have no idea, but it used to be Darryl Jones. Mr Jones was killing time on a gig in Chicago and went to a local guitar emporium. He picked up a bass and started playing. The sales guy came up to him and started giving him all the chat, showing him all his best sales licks etc. and eventually asked if he played in any bands. Mr Jones told him what his gig was. Sales guy went very quiet and moved away.[/quote]

:) excellent! put 'em in their place, bigtime!

I've got a feelin it might be Victor Bailiy, but I can't find anywhere to comfirm this!

[quote name='bassace' post='287496' date='Sep 19 2008, 05:19 PM']So, Phil the Bassist, you come and see my band at Newbury last Sunday and the Mrs gets to see Madonna, VIP. No contest is it really?!![/quote]

Ahh, but from what I've been told of her previous performances on this tour, the sound was better at your gig than Katie'll get at Madonna :huh:

Plus I don't overly enjoy Madges brand of autotuned pop, so there's absolutely no contest! :huh: I jus wanna go VIP somewhere :)

I never have the feeling that I 'm actually watching a music-show whenever Madonna's on stage.
It always looks like some sort of dance competition and the emphasis is certainly not on the musicians or the music..
When I watched the "In bed with Madonna"-thing it was all around herself and her dancers but the musicians are just dark shadows in the back...
Meanwhile there's Madonna in the front trying hard to sing while she's performing some tune which is constructed by a hip producer who had to take care of the emperor's new clothes...
There used to be some nice tunes though like "Cherish", "Live to Tell" and "Like a Prayer"..
The new stuff is just an insult to my ears and a pathetic attempt to stay "in touch" with modern "music"..
Could be any bass-player in the back..his musical personality certainly doesn't count.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='289201' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:48 PM']Could be any bass-player in the back..his musical personality certainly doesn't count.[/quote]
I can think of worse gigs for a bassist. The Rolling Stones, for example. If I was going to do world tours with a bunch of old fogeys, I would want a bit more out of it than a paycheck... :)

[quote name='bnt' post='289211' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:57 PM']I can think of worse gigs for a bassist. The Rolling Stones, for example. If I was going to do world tours with a bunch of old fogeys, I would want a bit more out of it than a paycheck... :)[/quote]

I think if you went on tour with the Stones, you would come back with more than a paycheck. Book yourself into the clinic matey... and put yourself on the waiting list for a kidney transplant!

[quote name='bnt' post='289211' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:57 PM']I can think of worse gigs for a bassist. The Rolling Stones, for example. If I was going to do world tours with a bunch of old fogeys, I would want a bit more out of it than a paycheck... :huh:[/quote]

I am not a great stones Fan...But they have made there mark on The Rock Industry Over the years.
Playing in front of 40.000 or whatever at venues all over the world..
Great sound and lights...
Treated like you should be treated..
Best Hotels...
Eating king prawns every day.
Getting your strings changed...and your battery.
Not having to talk to anyone in the band.
Knob anything that takes your fancy [if you are single]
Is gonna be more than just a pay cheque..Regardless of there age.
Dont you Like enjoying yourself.?.. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='noelk27' post='289290' date='Sep 22 2008, 04:47 PM']Not sure being single - technically or otherwise - has ever stopped a Stone from, err, knobbing.[/quote]

:huh: :huh:

Yer i know.
Just did not want some do-gooder fish on the back of his car Bass chatter flaming me down.. :)

Garry