Why become a member? ×

What about those TKS Cabs

AREA

I've read alot about those Cabs in here. The Point is, I am planing to get two 1x12" Cabs instead of my two 2x12" Cabs. I'd like to do a little bit of "downsizing".
Those Cabs are nearly completely unknown in Germany. I'd be exited about two S112 and I've read a good Review here, but they are so tiny... Can they really handle a 5-String?

Thx for your Opinion
Tom

Edited by AREA

Yes, they will....but they don't go really low in their response - plenty of impact but not a real sub thump. I actually prefer the lighter response, as it doesn't mess up the front of house so much. I've had a pair for a few months and only used two cabs for one gig. Within one song the front of house engineer was asking for a little less stage volume (Blues rock, with an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, set to approx 25% on the master volume).

They are very good - voiced, but very musical and not extreme in any way.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1454022766' post='2965659']
Yes, they will....but they don't go really low in their response - plenty of impact but not a real sub thump. I actually prefer the lighter response, as it doesn't mess up the front of house so much. I've had a pair for a few months and only used two cabs for one gig. Within one song the front of house engineer was asking for a little less stage volume (Blues rock, with an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, set to approx 25% on the master volume).

They are very good - voiced, but very musical and not extreme in any way.
[/quote]

I'd agree with this.

I run them with my 5's and no problem getting pretty loud.
They will fill but not flood the sound.

Do you have 2 212's for show or do you actually use so much volume that you need a 412 rig? You're talking about halving the number of speakers and your cone area.

If you try to compensate and run these cabs at the top of their range then you'll risk over driving the cones which probably won't sound too good or last too long.

I used to run 3 112's for very loud gigs, but I've never needed 412's for any band.

I'd agree with that: it depends on your requirements - what 212s you're using, and why. If it's for sheer volume then I'd say the Barefaced stuff is well suited to matching volume with smaller cabs (I had a Big Baby 2 for a while, and for a single 12 it would comfortably go bonkers loud: two would cover pretty much any gig volume I can think of), but if you don't push your 2 x 212s hard, and you're looking for smaller, lighter, voiced cabs which sound good, then there's lots of options, of which TKS get a lot of love around here.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='AREA' timestamp='1454021018' post='2965642']
I've read alot about those Cabs in here. The Point is, I am planing to get two 1x12" Cabs instead of my two 2x12" Cabs. I'd like to do a little bit of "downsizing".
Those Cabs are nearly completely unknown in Germany. I'd be exited about two S112 and I've read a good Review here, but they are so tiny... Can they really handle a 5-String?

Thx for your Opinion
Tom
[/quote]

They can, and sound very good in my opinion. They just don't get as loud or as deep as other bigger cabs. Would that be a problem? It depends on what you're after. I'm in the process of letting go several bigger cabs and moving to S112 because I really like their sound. Disclaimer: I have only been an owner of these S112s for a short time, and I have not yet used them for a gig where I rely on them as the sole source of bass... so my comments are based on rehearsals with two bands (one of them very loud) and how I think they'll work on a gig based on that.

They can do low, if you boost bass at your amp, and they don't get boomy. They sound very tight with great presence in the low mids, which makes them work very well in a band, for my liking. I don't look for a very deep reggae type of bass, but I like a bass that has body, is punchy, and has good definition. The S112 do it for me. I have a stack of two, and I like how the sound disperses: right in front, at 3 metres, it may seem a little lacking in lows because the midrange is so prominent... but step away from the axis and the sound is balanced and you can hear it quite evenly pretty much anywhere (onstage). They are incredibly light and small, and they get plenty loud for onstage monitoring and small bar gigs, I am sure... but I wish they could have a bit more volume. That's why I just sourced another pair. Four of these are still a very compact solution, and I suspect the extra volume will be enough for those times when I need a bit more. But I have not tested this yet.

The 1126 is a lot fuller in sound, deep, and can handle more power. In many ways it could be a better solution, especially if you don't think the S112 has enough bottom end. But I prefer the S112 despite their drawbacks.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1454061196' post='2965840']
I'd agree with that: it depends on your requirements - what 212s you're using, and why. If it's for sheer volume then I'd say the Barefaced stuff is well suited to matching volume with smaller cabs (I had a Big Baby 2 for a while, and for a single 12 it would comfortably go bonkers loud: two would cover pretty much any gig volume I can think of), but if you don't push your 2 x 212s hard, and you're looking for smaller, lighter, voiced cabs which sound good, then there's lots of options, of which TKS get a lot of love around here.
[/quote]

That is true. If you want to reduce size but loud is an important requirement, I'd look at a pair of Barefaced BB2. We recently tested a bunch of cabs, and the Barefaced had no match when it came to volume. Whether you like the sound or not is another matter... some of us loved it, some not so much. I prefer the sound of the S112 and even the 1126 in a way... but with a band it was easier to use the Barefaced or the S112. The S112 just never sounds bad, it seems... and I tried! ;) But if you need a loud rig, a pair of S112, as nice as they are, may not be the right setup. Even 4 of them won't be the rig that will fill a large venue with deep bass... so it really depends on the kind of gigs you play. I have PA support nearly always, so a pair of S112 will do the job very easily. The stages I play are never huge either, and rarely outdoors. The kind of places where I don't have support and I need to rely on my backline have been anything from small bars to large village halls... the larger venues will need a louder setup than 2x S112.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1454063037' post='2965878']
I've yet to run out of steam with either my old S112 stack, or current S212, and I've done plenty o'loud pub gigs with no PA support.

That said, I don't play in Sunn O))) - if I did, I'd probably double up.
[/quote]

How do you compare the 2x S112 vs. 1x S212? Does the S212 retain that midrange character but with extra depth? I noticed the cab is a bit deeper than 2x S12 together.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1454064593' post='2965908']
How do you compare the 2x S112 vs. 1x S212? Does the S212 retain that midrange character but with extra depth? I noticed the cab is a bit deeper than 2x S12 together.
[/quote]

They're pretty much the same, IMO. Any difference I heard could probably be attributed to the drivers being closer to ear level.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1454070439' post='2966035']
They're pretty much the same, IMO. Any difference I heard could probably be attributed to the drivers being closer to ear level.
[/quote]

but did you notice a significant increase in the low end?

Just another +1 to using them with a 5 string. In fact I think Tommy says as much on the website. I think the fact they have a tight low end and aren't overly bassy and boomy helps in this regard.

Edited to say I'm talking about a s112 stack.

Edited by M@23

Thanks for your Help Mates. I've searched a bit and I have no Doubt that these TKS Cabinets are really good. Nontheless I've decided, to pull my Trigger on a german Cabinet Builder. Hans Struck from FMC Audio [url="http://fmc-audio.jimdo.com/"]http://fmc-audio.jimdo.com/[/url]

These Cabs get much Love in Germany at the Moment and they have tested them with Glockenklang, Bergantino, Vanderkley Cabinets Side by Side. But Hans told me I can send it back if it don't fit my Needs/my Taste

I have ordered a FMC 1126 Neo 1x12" Neo Speaker and an adjustable 6" Speaker, as I don't like those Harsh Tweeter Highs. 300W/8Ohm, 99db @1W/1m, 14Kg.

I am exited and if it fits, I get a second One in April. :yarr:

Edited by AREA