Why become a member? ×

Relic basses...

NancyJohnson

If you get a custom relic bass made like a Limelight, does the builder take your playing style into account when they do the relic'ing?

After all if you bought a J-style bass with wear around the bridge pickup, but you play mostly with the neck pickup as your anchor it would fairly ridiculous to any when looking closely.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1454145938' post='2966837']
If you get a custom relic bass made like a Limelight, does the builder take your playing style into account when they do the relic'ing?

After all if you bought a J-style bass with wear around the bridge pickup, but you play mostly with the neck pickup as your anchor it would fairly ridiculous to any when looking closely.
[/quote]

I guess it would be no different to playing an older bass which has been worn by another player. I have several older instruments which are worn differently than they would have been if I'd owned them from new, like an acoustic guitar with marks from aggressive strumming when that's not my style. I don't think that makes me look ridiculous.

If I was to get a relic made, itd be a 65 Jazz in CAR and I wouldn't give a damn about picking up dings. My Shuker has got a couple as has my Wal (not really surprising after 34 years!) and I'm sure the Sire will in time. ATEOTD they're only tools.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1454152591' post='2966941']
Each to there own of course. but relic'ing doesn't quite sit right with me.
[/quote]
I don't get it either. I guess its like getting a new pair of jeans and cutting knee holes in them. More about image than anything else.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1453969139' post='2964688']
Look at the roadworns - pretty much identical
[/quote]

Yeah, if a Fender Road Worn has a ding or blemish next to the input Jack, they all do.

You could buy a real vintage bass with natural real age. Or If you travel and gig enough, you'll have an authentic aged bass. Not something you paid for to make you look like you have something you don't really have.

Blue

Edited by blue

Relicing is just another finish option.

The good ones are great but the bad ones are beyond ugly. Some of the reliced Limelights that pop up on BC from time to time look beautiful and are incredibly convincing. If you want something that looks like Rory Gallagher's Strat then go for it - it's your choice. Purists may whimper, but to me, it's simply a cosmetic issue. A few of my basses look beaten up and a few look pristine and they all get an outing every now and again. No one ever asks me if the dinks and dents and flaking paint are "real". When instruments are new and shiny and expensive, they make me nervous and I become really conscious of trying to keep them pristine - this of course, results in getting them more dinged than my old faithfuls!

My old Ford Focus is on its way out after a long, hard life - I'm looking forward to replacing it, but I'm more nervous about that first scratch or dent. The current Rushbomobile is genuinely "roadworn" so the occasional chip gets laughed off. I feel the same about my basses...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454197147' post='2967507']
You could buy a real vintage bass with natural real age. Or If you travel and gig enough, you'll have an authentic aged bass. Not something you paid for to make you look like you have something you don't really have.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Bedroom players with a relic? :D

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454197147' post='2967507']

Yeah, if a Fender Road Worn has a ding or blemish next to the input Jack, they all do.

You could buy a real vintage bass with natural real age.

[/quote]

Not for £900 you couldn't.

I do think people tend to overthink the whole Relic thing. I bought my Roadworn because it was the best feeling bass in the shop, and I went in to buy the non-relic'ed Classic 50's in Honey Blonde. I didn't like the idea of paying extra to have a new bass beaten up, didn't see the point, and as far as I could tell they were the same spec.

Until I played them back to back. I didn't have the extra £300 for the Roadworn but after playing it I had to find it! It just felt so much more alive to me. Ever since then I've found myself naturally preferring a worn bass. They sit more comfy with me, and I don't need to worry about dings.

It's not just guitars that are reliced. Check out rat look VW's!! Brand new cars attacked with belt sanders and made to go rusty. Doesn't make sense to me!

You either like it or you don't. If it feels good but the fake thing puts you off, that's your call. But ultimately I'd always go for what felt best in my hands.