Why become a member? ×

another 'small venues closing down' thread

PaulWarning

just seen this http://www.independent.co.uk/student/istudents/small-music-venues-in-the-uk-are-under-threat-and-we-need-to-do-something-drastic-about-it-a6825456.html
surely the real reason they're closing down is lack of people going to them, the youngsters today would rather be doing other stuff than watching new bands in small venues.
Most of the audience these days seems to be middle age, which could explain why classic rock covers bands are on at all the local pubs and old bands and artists living on past glories are the most lucrative tours.
Somebody once said Rock and Roll will never die, I'm not so sure

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1453549018' post='2960419']
just seen this [url="http://www.independent.co.uk/student/istudents/small-music-venues-in-the-uk-are-under-threat-and-we-need-to-do-something-drastic-about-it-a6825456.html"]http://www.independe...t-a6825456.html[/url]
surely the real reason they're closing down is lack of people going to them, the youngsters today would rather be doing other stuff than watching new bands in small venues.
Most of the audience these days seems to be middle age, which could explain why classic rock covers bands are on at all the local pubs and old bands and artists living on past glories are the most lucrative tours.
[/quote]

Yep.... altho I also say there are more venues putting on music and the 'free' aspect of going to see local bands means no one wants to pay for them..

25 years ago my town had one venue and it was very good..the rest of the music was in country pubs.
Those country pubs now do food and the town has 5 pubs upwards trying to put on music and 3 of them are
very regular ...
Most young players take their influence from the 60/70's and older players are stuck in the 80's as that works
for the pub demographic.

I don't entirely subscribe to the lack of venues thing as I know far more people making a 'living' thru music now than I everdid and quite a few of those wouldn't be thought to have the talent, but they do seem to have the wherewithall.

So, I don't think it is all doom and gloom but I do think the biggest problem is getting people to pay for music..

Many players will convince themselves they were 'earning' the same amount 20 plus years ago than they can do today...I don't recall that, tbh..

Pub rates then would be £150 and now they are £250... but these are average rates and pubs are keen ..for their own reasons..to keep the rates down. It is tough, but I know they'll pay more... if the see fit, but they aren't telling everyone.

For example, If I've asked for a rate...the pub will know it is higher than he normally pays, but they'll say, ok, but don't mention it to anyone else...??
I wonder who else they say that too... since the accepted norm for guys I know... is £70 a skull, as the local term goes..!!! :lol:
That is £280-350 for a 4 or 5 piece and sometimes these bands have 6 or 7 on it..

But then again, I know plenty of bands who play for £200..because that is what the booker tells them the gig is worth...
This is why I like to talk about rates as then you know what is out there..and the market can sustain.

I'll also know a few bands that do pubs for £400 plus... but they might be in on the food deal..meal plus band for £20 per head... or they are a very very good draw and sure thing.

I'd call the local music scene..in the county, vibrant and good. And this is why plenty of very good players will show up from time to time.

Edited by JTUK

There's a great pub in Glasgow that will be getting shut down next month according to a similar article I read yesterday.

I'm basing this purely on my own experience in the last few years. Speaking as one of these 'youngsters' I think the reason a lot of these places aren't always filled up with people is that quite frankly they can be pretty expensive. The one I'm mostly thinking of was around £4:70 for a pint the last time I went in it. I don't mind spending extra at times but it's not something I can do regularly...especially considering how overrun the place is with Wetherspoons pubs.

I think this has quite a bit to say about the majority of audiences being middle aged.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1453549018' post='2960419']
just seen this http://www.independent.co.uk/student/istudents/small-music-venues-in-the-uk-are-under-threat-and-we-need-to-do-something-drastic-about-it-a6825456.html
[/quote]

It won't die, but it will never be as popular as it was back in The 60s & 70s.

For young people, it's not cool to go see bands anymore.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1453551878' post='2960455']
Times change, simple as that.

Where are all the dance halls of the 30s/40s?
[/quote]

Exactly, fashions change and tastes moves on, which is good or else we'd all still be going to dance halls !

Edited by ahpook

A lot of pubs are struggling. The stricter drink driving enforcement, cigarette ban and tax have led to a decline. Like the way that a lot of WMCs have gone out of business a lot of pubs have closed too. The ones that survive are the ones offering something extra, like food, entertainment, etc. However most pubs that have bands on have punters of a certain age - those that went to see bands in their youth. The music pubs that attract a younger audience are very much in the minority.

I've been playing in pubs for 30 odd years. Things are not as good as they used to be, but then it did get a lot worse in between. It's not dead yet, but I'm not sure for how much longer with an aging bunch of lovers of live music (and I'm not counting mega-corporate festivals)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453575576' post='2960752']
It won't die, but it will never be as popular as it was back in The 60s & 70s..

Blue
[/quote]no, but it will become a minority movement, mostly based on nostalgia, like all the other forms of music and entertainment that were popular in their day, in fact it's getting that way now really

Leicester seems to have a thriving small music scene, there are 5 or 6 small venues supported by a number of local promoters putting on regular music nights and showcasing some excellent young / local ish talent...I say ish because we are neither young or local to Leicester (Northampton / Corby) but neither town seems to have the slightest interest in original music......the owners of the Zombie Hut (Corby) have got rid of the guy who puts the bands on and the once famous Roadmender club (Northampton) rarely has decent bands on and when they do the support slot policy is "whatever demo is sitting st the top of the pile" when they need a local band......

Seeing the quality of some of the talent in Leicester convinces me that music won't die and hopefully the cooperation between promoters and venues will keep music alive in the city for towns like Corby and Northampton I am not so sure, at least Corby local radio shows an interest in local bands unlike Northampton

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453575576' post='2960752']
For young people, it's not cool to go see bands anymore.
[/quote]

In the UK it is very cool for young people to see bands, but venues have much stricter regulations which are more vigorously policed than when I was young. So a small music venue that I used to frequent (called The Venue, imaginatively) wouldn't today get away with packing 500 people into a 300 capacity venue, of which at least 200 will be 16 - 17 year olds. Such cavalier disregard for the law and safety (the emergency exits were chained shut to stop people sneaking in for free) enabled it to stay open for far longer than it would otherwise have been able to.
Venues are also held accountable for drugs and violence that take place in them now, too. This means that they are spending more on bouncers (who are now trained and regulated and so get paid more) and so their margins are squeezed from all sides.
Finally, young people are not drinking as much alcohol as they once did, either.