Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK Fretless - SOLD
£165

guybrush threepwood

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Here we have an Ibanez ATK that I defretted a couple of years ago. It's the first defret I've done, and I was really pleased with the result. I used maple veneers to mark the lines and the bass plays really nicely, with loads of mwah available.

For anyone who hasn't played an ATK before, this basically sounds an awful lot like a Stingray.

It's in excellent condition, and my bathroom scales state it as a smidge over 9lbs. I have a (unpadded) gigbag which I'll include with the sale, it will at least keep the rain off! The bass is currently strung with TI flats and set up with an easy playing low action. The board hasn't been epoxied, so I don't know how it would stand up to rounds, but with the powerful EQ you can really get into rounds territory.

I'm looking for £165 delivered in the UK, or £150 collected from Nottingham or nearby. Don't really fancy any trades.

For the especially geeky, I've included photos of the defretting process. :)

[attachment=210201:atk1.png] [attachment=210202:atk2.png]

[attachment=210203:atk3.png]

[attachment=210204:atk4.png]

[attachment=210205:atk5.png]

[attachment=210206:atk6.png] Slowly removing frets, with tape in place to collect any fingerboard chips.

[attachment=210207:atk7.png] All out! There weren't too many chips, but they were all hastily glued back down.

[attachment=210208:atk8.png] After sanding the neck I glued the veneers in. I spread a mixture of glue and the sawdust from the initial sanding along the side of each veneer, to cover any tiny gaps.

[attachment=210209:atk9.png] Carefully cutting back the veneers.

[attachment=210210:atk10.png] Sanding back to a fine grit with a radius block to keep the fingerboard curve.[/size][/font]

Edited by guybrush threepwood