Why become a member? ×

1 of 3 small amps.

Marvin

I know these threads are a ball ache for some :), however I just want to know people's experiences of the following heads.

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Gallien Krueger MB200 [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Markbass Little Mark 250 Black Line[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]TC Electronic BH250[/color][/font][/size]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]They all cost a similar amount. I'm more interested in reliability, loudness and quality of build and their 'sound'. The Fender Rumble I have has a tone I really like and of course there is the Rumble 200 head to throw in I suppose. The reason I'm toying with getting one is the band I've joined has got it's own practice room. However, it's in the roof space of a recording studio and although my Rumble 500 is light etc, even getting that up the narrow stairs can be very tricky. I could leave the rumble in the room but when the band aren't there the room can get incredibly cold and I'm not really one for leaving gear in environments that can basically freeze :) There's a 410 cab in the room so all I'd need is a head.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ta[/font][/color]

Edited by Marvin

Of those three I've only had the MB200.

Remarkably capable for such a tiny thing, and extremely practical. No problems at all that I can recall, but I prefer more headroom to be available and I only carried it as a back-up in case my OTB500 ever died at a gig. The MB500 is a better bet IMHO.

When, some years later, I looked again at this amp zone, I preferred the Aguilar TH350. The range of tones available seems to suit my playing/ears rather better.

I bought a BH250 last week, mainly for a backup and gave it a try Sunday at volume. It surprised me, it's quite loud through my Dubster for sure and will do what I want it to no problem, seems solid and well made with plenty of tonal variations and of course the toneprint options too.

I use a LH500 as my main amp as it's very loud. I went into PMT Bham last week to buy a TC BH250 as a portable back up but the guy in the bass dept said it was not loud enough for pub gigs so I ended up buying another LH500 as they had one second hand.
The blackline gets great reviews but think it's hard to find anywhere that stocks one to try.

Difficult choice Marvin! I had a Markbass Little Mark 250 Black Line, a TC BH250 (in a combo) and a GK MB500. All have been reliable and all sound decent so you should listen to each model before deciding.

I prefer the GK and Markbass, both sound great but distinctively different and both have good noiseless DI output which is crucial for me.

GK MB200 wins on pure portability. GK amps built in USA too!

Markbass wins on classic warm sound. Love the VLE & VPF controls. Lack of mute switch is a bit irritating. With regard to tone and sound quality I cannot tell the Blackline apart from the more expensive Little Mark 500.

TC electronic wins on extra features such as built-in tuner, toneprint etc.

To my ears TC electronic amps do not seem as loud as equivalent rating GK or Markbass gear.
Both of my TC electronic amps have noisey DI outputs without a ground lift, so If I play larger gigs I need a separate D.I. Box

If had to choose one I would go for the Markbass 250 Blackline, (and keep the GK MB200 as an amazing spare in my gigbag!!!)

Good Hunting

In your position, as you like your Fender Rumble, why not just get the Rumble head? Would make sense. Out of the amps listed they all sound pretty different to the Rumbles - I`ve only had the higher powered ones, but their individual tones are pretty different, the Rumbles sound much fuller and richer to me.

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]TC Electronic BH250: got mine new when they first came out. The price point at launch certainly created a buzz. It looks nice, and it's a good size. But it sounds cold and sterile. A bit lifeless. It lacks a bit of 'character' - perhaps. The EQ section is also an acquired taste. I've used it with a Phil Jones Piranha C4 4x5 + a Trace 1048, and it's "OK", "not bad", just "alright". But, I don't love it and I'm thinking of trying something else.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]TC will say, "What did you expect for two hundred odd quid?" but, that's missing the point. I would have been quite happy to pay a bit more, if (for example) you didn't have to buy a Switch-3 to change between tone prints, and it had a warmer preamp.. and it sounded.. better. Pays your money and takes your choice.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Here's a link to a video of the TC BH250 with the Phil Jones C4 (not mine): - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME9Lhj42oBI .. does sound like the amp is trying to drive/push too hard (?) [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]As Lozz points out, why not just get the Rumble? You can get the 200 head (V3) for just under two hundred quid. Pays your money..[/color][/font][/size]

Regards the Rumble 200, it is an option. I've got the Combo 500 (which I'll be using for gigs and if I need to get it louder buying the 210 ext cab) and it's great. However, as any head I'd be buying would be going through a tatty old, brand unknown, 410 I'd probably end up spending most of my time tweaking the controls as the cab would make the Rumble sound a little different anyway. Also, I'm a gear whore and thought as it's a practice amp I'd try something else :) The Fender is also, from what I can find on line about the same as the GK (both about £220-35)

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1453231327' post='2957713']
Difficult choice Marvin! I had a Markbass Little Mark 250 Black Line, a TC BH250 (in a combo) and a GK MB500. All have been reliable and all sound decent so you should listen to each model before deciding.

I prefer the GK and Markbass, both sound great but distinctively different and both have good noiseless DI output which is crucial for me.

GK MB200 wins on pure portability. GK amps built in USA too!

Markbass wins on classic warm sound. Love the VLE & VPF controls. Lack of mute switch is a bit irritating. With regard to tone and sound quality I cannot tell the Blackline apart from the more expensive Little Mark 500.

TC electronic wins on extra features such as built-in tuner, toneprint etc.

To my ears TC electronic amps do not seem as loud as equivalent rating GK or Markbass gear.
Both of my TC electronic amps have noisey DI outputs without a ground lift, so If I play larger gigs I need a separate D.I. Box

If had to choose one I would go for the Markbass 250 Blackline, (and keep the GK MB200 as an amazing spare in my gigbag!!!)

Good Hunting
[/quote]

Thank you, that is very informative and helpful. Cheers

Hiya Marvin,

I'm in West Yorkshire, I have the TC bh250 head and a GK backline 600, you're welcome to come try them out if you like?

I've used the bh250 for the last year or so and found it perfectly fine, really useful little amp and so light. Got used to having a built in tuner too and the mute switch.
Anyway fancied a change as you do and got the GK backline recently, haven't used it enough to give a full opinion, still fiddling, but first impressions I think I prefer the noise it makes.

Did intend to keep the bh250 as a spare but will probably move it on as I am currently short on beer tokens.

I have the Markbass which is backup to my Tecamp Puma 900. I used it at one gig to check that it could do the job and it can - the Puma only ever runs at tickover though. Physically bigger than the Puma, not unwieldy though, plenty of oomph.