Why become a member? ×

Which flatwounds?

paddy109

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1466233276' post='3074264']
I'm just repeating La Bella's own advice.

I don't usually string anything through body as I can't hear or feel any difference.

I've never broken a La Bella flat but I have once broken a TI flat and once a Pyramid flat too.
[/quote]
I know what you mean. On some of them it's a must, think my old 52RI was string through only.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1466234339' post='3074270']
I know what you mean. On some of them it's a must, think my old 52RI was string through only.
[/quote]

Yes, it is slightly odd that the original Precision bass was string through only and came with flats (there were only flats) and yet flats apparently suffer more from string through.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1459787910' post='3019638']
I bought some EB Cobalts the other day. I had my first proper play with them today and I must say that I'm impressed. None of the stickiness and grot that I have experienced with LaBellas (I gave them a wipe before fitting and there was even the hint of a mark on the white cordon I was using). Tension-wise they seems very similar to my normal 45 -100 D'Addarios and, therefore, I guess similar to Super Slinkys. Do they sound like round wounds? Well this is hard to tell as I have them fitted to a fretless with an MM type p/up on it, whilst my D'Addario round wounds are fitted to a Ric. However, plucking the open strings on both acoustically does produce a similar tone, although the roundwounds seem to have a little more treble, but they may be the Ric's maple construction imparting that. Amplified, the EB's produce a nice parpy tone with a slightly attenuated top end compared to the steel roundwounds this bass came fitted with. They have a good bottom end without being dubby or boomy. In conclusion, I think EB have pretty much achieved what they set out to do with the Cobalts; flatwound feel with roundwound-like tone. I'd buy them again.
[/quote]

+1

another fan here. They're unlike any other flatwound I ever tried. Mine are on an ATK300. I can still get a decent slap tone out of them if I want to, but I can also get the more traditional flat sound... and they feel great.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1461157385' post='3031954']
They're German, everything the Germans do is expensive (and generally pretty damn good too)
[/quote]

They must have been on an off day when they designed my Audi A3 ;)

The issues of strings is such a minefield, and, unless you're very lucky, an expensive one to navigate. There's just no substitute for playing a set of strings and deciding for yourself whether or not you like the sound and feel. The strings can be THE deciding factor in how well you play or how good you sound, and it can cost a lot of cheddar to find the ones which are right for you. DR are the kiddies for my Sterling; I'm still experimenting to find the right set for my Jazz bass and it looks like it may take some time.

• 1 year later...

I'm intrigued by these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VTBP5O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3PSszbBYRC4SH

I suspect for £12 a set they're not up to much, but has anyone any experience of them?

I'm dipping my toe in the flatwound world and as a 'suck it and see' excercise on my cheapo Jazz Bass copy I wonder if they're worth a punt?

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1498074094' post='3322406']
I'm intrigued by these...

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VTBP5O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3PSszbBYRC4SH"]https://www.amazon.c...i_3PSszbBYRC4SH[/url]

I suspect for £12 a set they're not up to much, but has anyone any experience of them?

I'm dipping my toe in the flatwound world and as a 'suck it and see' excercise on my cheapo Jazz Bass copy I wonder if they're worth a punt?
[/quote]

It says roundwood in the ad and on the packet.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1453166091' post='2957120']
Lozz. . . my Lakland/GHS flats have been on my P bass for 4 years and I wasn't planning to replace them, ever!
[/quote]

Well never say never. . . . I did change them out for a set of TI's.

I've had several pats on the back for my sound since putting the TI's on.