Why become a member? ×

Please help... problem with Ashdown MAG 300

crward77

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I was trying to do some recording earlier but I had some issues.I use an Ashdown Mag 300 head and a 200w cab I think I may have connected the cab output cable to the line out cable. There was a couple of sparks. Power l[/size][/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]ights are on, speaker is humming ok, but the signal isn't there. If i turn it on max the signal needled flickers very slightly. Had the top off and no sign of any blown fuses (and the front). [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Thought I could smell a light electrical burn smell but no sign inside. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Any ideas, I am absolutely gutted. Any help appreciated. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Chris Ward[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]frown emoticon[/size][/font][/color]

All the fuses look fine. Replaced the smaller fuses (the big one at the back also looks fine) and checkeed the components behind the knobs. Can't spot anything. The capactors have a glue on the side, but should there be so much at the base? Are these blown? Is this the problem? I don't know if they are supposed to look like this. cheers.

I

I think (i got into a muddle and discovered it wasn't working a little afterwards) I plugged the cab le that goes to the power amp into the tuner/line out on the front. (I thought I was plugging the line out into my recording box at the time) - realised when there was a plug-like spark that wasn't the case.

sh*te, I suspect one of the output transistors has gone wonky. The only time I've blown an output tranny I couldn't tell just by looking at it ... It'll need a tech. Ashdown are very very good to deal with on these sorts of things though (I know because they're the ones who fixed my blown-up GK amp haha!)

More likely something in the preamp has got blown up. The voltage level from the speaker out will most likely be too high for the input op amp. I think it's highly unlikely the output transistors will be blown as it would represent a high impedance load. This could be good news, as op amp cost peanuts.
Try putting a line level signal into the effects return socket. See if the power amp section is working at least.

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1452982989' post='2955373']
More likely something in the preamp has got blown up. The voltage level from the speaker out will most likely be too high for the input op amp. I think it's highly unlikely the output transistors will be blown as it would represent a high impedance load. This could be good news, as op amp cost peanuts.
Try putting a line level signal into the effects return socket. See if the power amp section is working at least.
[/quote]

Good call :)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1452982989' post='2955373']
[/quote]
This was my initial thought regarding the preamp valve as I didn't realise it was not a mag evo but just a mag, so it's done the same thing but to the component preamp rather than the valve.

Long live speakon connectors!

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1453029347' post='2955627']
Long live speakon connectors!
[/quote]

I agree. I've seen people with no idea (I'm not saying that's the problem in this case) attempt to cable up a small PA system and simply plug in cables at random, the main criterion seemingly being that connectors actually fit regardless of the types of signals they may be carrying. Thus, speakers into line outs is quite common :(

I wonder if it's a hangover from the PC world? The PC industry has done a pretty good job to ensure that different signals are carried on different connectors such that it's almost impossible to hook up a PC, screw, keyboard, mouse, network and external hard drive incorrectly, while the music world still embraces a Victorian era connector!

First of all, thanks again for your amazing support. I had a look for an Op Amp. But i couldn't see anything that looks like this...

which is an op amp on wikipedia.

Also, i connected cables to the effects return ans get jack in crackles, so I think the speaker is working.

I have obtained the amp schematic from here (http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/23084d1366992849-mag300.pdf) can anyone spot the op amo, which may help me actually locate it on the amp.

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for your support. :D

Chris