Why become a member? ×

Going Rackmount

Tonteee

Hi all,

After getting a bit fed up with the options available, I've recently decided to investigate going down the whole preamp / slave route. I'm attracted to it by the relative versatility of the set-up, and the modular nature of it. I started by looking at cabs, and realising that I really didn't like the heads that went with the cabs I was looking at. These were the TC K212/210 cabs recently out. I've subsequently decided against these cabs, as I felt they sounded a bit thin - but that could have been the BH800 driving them. Anyway, I digress.

There don't seem to be many rackmount preamps on the market, at least that I can see. I do see lots of fellow BC-ers using them in their setups, and some in the for sale section, but I feel like I don't know enough about them. So, I seek your guidance!

For reference, my current basses are listed in my sig, I do use modulation and FX (less Dist/OD than I used to, though) and I play about 30-40 gigs a year - festivals / venues / clubs / pubs. Mostly Rhythm and Blues, Soul, Funk (finger style, not much slapping going on here). I am currently interested in a brighter, more articulate (maybe hi-fi?) sound, but like a strong bottom end. I have PA support about 50% of the time - i.e. at the bigger gigs, when it's needed.

I'll be interested in your comments and suggestions!

As always, some idea of budget is always useful.

Two years ago I replaced my Sansamp RBI with a Demeter VTBP 201. I like the BDDI tone on tap, but it turned out I didn't like it in "always on" mode ... I generally prefer a scooped, old school tone.

The Demeter absolutely hits the spot for me, lush and warm, with real depth to the sound. But of course it doesn't cut through as well, and with some basses can even sound rather bland.

Both those rack mount preamps are more than good enough to meet the requirements of most bassists, it's all down to taste.

And budget. Budget matters.

I bought the RBI new. That really wasn't an option with the Demeter!

I use a separate pre and power amp (although I don't have them all racked up)

For clarity and quality, try the Avalon U5. It's 2u high and half rack wide. Superb clarity from deep lows to crisp highs. It has no EQ section other than 6 preset shapes

Edited by Roland Rock

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Tonteee' timestamp='1452372194' post='2949415']
I started by looking at cabs, and realising that I really didn't like the heads that went with the cabs I was looking at.
[/quote]

So why not just mix and match head + cab ?. I'm not saying that a rack is not the way to go necessarily but the paradox is that there is vastly less choice of dedicated pre amps than all in one heads (although the few that are out there are generally very good). In most modern SS amp the "tone" is pretty much all in the preamp anyway not withstanding the various arguments we've had on here about A/B vs class D and whatever.

I can recommend an Alembic F1-x I've used one for about 10yrs with a QSC power amp and I like that setup a great deal. The pre-amp tone controls are simple passive and interactive and have no boost settings so if you don't need the bells and whistles on more featured pre-amps the F1-X will give you a great hi-fi tone.

[url="http://www.alembic.com/support/F-1Xoperatingguide.pdf"]http://www.alembic.com/support/F-1Xoperatingguide.pdf[/url]

Thanks for the responses - most helpful! Sorry also to take so long to come back.

So, to respond in order:

[b]HappyJack[/b] - Yes, I should have said what sort of budget. My mistake. Well, I have a healthyish budget - around the £1200 mark for a pre-amp, slave and maybe a cab. So, not Demeter territory, but not bad. I had looked at the Sansamp RBI as part of my research. Interesting to hear you thoughts on the RBI's sound, too. I wondered how drivey (is that even a word...?) it might be.

[b]RolandRock[/b] - Thanks, I hadn't considered the Avalon - and it's not as expensive as I might have thought they'd be - I've seen them on many rig rundowns. Cheers for the tip...

[b]taunton-hobbit[/b] - No, I hadn't thought about a JMP-1. Wouldn't that be a bit guitarry and drivey?

[b]bassman7755[/b] - You raise a valid point. I had considered other heads, but I was attracted to the idea of the control one could exact over the sound by using a separate pre-amp. I've not written off the idea of another head, and I hope to keep trying things out.

[b]dincz[/b] - Again, a good point - I shall keep an eye out on the fleabay. I see there's an LA [color=#000000][size=2][font=georgia,serif][size=3]Audio MPX1[/size][/font][/size][/color] on eBay UK at the moment going for £95 - would you recommend it?

[b]Dan Dare[/b] - Yes, I had looked at BBE - I was looking seriously at the BMax, but can't find much in the way of reviews. Can find ones for the BMax-t, but not te straight BMax. I did find a very interesting thread on TB about them, featuring the actual designer at one point....!

[b]jazzyvee[/b] - Will keep an eye out for the Alembic, but I'm assuming that's quite a pricey pre-amp... Seems to be a lot of hreads about asking for replacement valves, too... Is that an issue?

[b]EBS_freak[/b] - Thanks for the positive review on the RBI. Sounds a goodun!

[quote name='Tonteee' timestamp='1452720416' post='2952931'][b]dincz[/b] - Again, a good point - I shall keep an eye out on the fleabay. I see there's an LA [color=#000000][size=2][font=georgia,serif][size=3]Audio MPX1[/size][/font][/size][/color] on eBay UK at the moment going for £95 - would you recommend it?[/quote]

Very nice EQ section - two parametric mids plus high and low shelving - and a decent compressor. The price is a bit high. They usually go for around the £50 mark.

Best bass sound i've ever had was a SWR Marcus Miller Pre amp, into a Peavey IPR1600. Played through Bergantino HD210s.
It was brilliant. Ridiculously versatile too. It was too much for what i wanted really. Weight wise and option wise ( i prefer a relatively simple plug n play type set up), but for sheer quality of tone, and tone options, i havent played through anything better.
Dont have much experience on other pre amps or power amps, but this particular set up sounded amazing

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard very good things about the TCE BH800 so maybe it was the cabs that sounded thin.

I would recommend the Tech 21 RPM over the RBI because of its more versatile midrange adjustments.

Basically, buying 2nd-hand should save you money, if you have confidence in the seller.

I do love the tone of the Demeter VTBP-201. The current 201S is a bit more scooped & modern sounding to me. The HBP-1 is great as well, but a bit less tubey sounding - very clean & fast.
The Ampeg SVP-CL would also have to be 2nd-hand, but is a great sounding amp if you like thicker lows.
There are a lot of great discontinued preamps though - the Aguilar DB-659, Yamaha PB1, & Kern IP-777 to mention a few of the better ones.