Why become a member? ×

NQ NBD Squier VM Jazz 5

sbrag

Not Quite a new bass day as I picked this up last week. Bit of a bargain on flea bay so I bought it on a whim to give 5 strings another go.

It needed a good clean new strings and set up and while I'm still not sure 5 strings are for me, it is a cracking bass for the money. B string is really clear, good tone and really easy to play.

If I keep it it may get a bit of modding, possibly a Kiogon loom or a preamp and new pickups, any recommendations gratefully recieved but nothing too pricey please.

Crap photo attached.

Edited by sbrag

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1450461218' post='2933141']
Weak how? Do the break easily or just not stay in tune? I've not had much trouble with the latter yet?
[/quote]

two of the five tuners on my Squier VM5 Jazz have fallen off repeatedly and have broke. I'm having to replace them.

It is a great bass, aside from that however.

I've got a Squier VM Jazz that I modded a bit. It's got a KiogOn wiring loom, Entwistle JBXN (the neodymium ones) pups and Elixir steel strings (and a scratchplate from Scratch-it! but that won't affect the sound :) ). The sound difference was amazing. I did a song for the Basschat composition challenge with it so you can hear the lovely deep growl it has:

https://soundcloud.com/mornats/trains

It cost around £50-60 for the wiring loom as I got a new faceplate with proper Fender black knobs on it too. The pups were £18 each believe it or not.

Had one of these for a while and put an Audere pre in it. Sounded lovely and played very well. Only moved it on because it turned out five strings are not for me. I had no issues with the tuners however, which performed as you would expect. Similarly the pickups which seemed fine to me. I didn't think it necessary to upgrade them. I only fitted the pre as I already had it. Lush, but this bass works well in its stock form. In my humble opinion of course.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1450461740' post='2933146']
two of the five tuners on my Squier VM5 Jazz have fallen off repeatedly and have broke. I'm having to replace them.

[/quote]

two of them fell off... repeatedly??? man, what do you do to that poor bass? :lol:

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1450461740' post='2933146']

[/quote]

Odd...never had any Squier tuners be other than entirely up to the job.