Why become a member? ×

Buzzing / dead new e string

Philly

Just put a new set of rotosound stings on a bass and the e string is buzzing somewhere and seems a lot more dead compared to the others.

Changed it for an old string but that was fine.

Put the new one back on and it is still buzzing which leads me to believe it is the string.

Do you get dud strings straight out the packet?

Funny I used Roto 66s for years with no problem then fitted Picato Half rounds to my Aerodyne. ...great. So I decided to put Picato flats on my Peavey but local dealer (Absolute Music) were out of stock so I took some Fender flats. Five days after I bought them the E was like a perished rubber band.

So yes you do get duff strings so report it to the shop or manufacturer or both.

Of course with Rotos and Picatos it helps that get are UK companies.

When changing strings which I do a lot of. I've came across odd buzzing strings in many brands.
First thing that I do which normally cure it is check the seating, push down on the string at the bridge just in front of the saddle, then retune, this normally works, also do the same at the nut.
Second remember at the E string to always especially on 4 in a row head stocks, make sure there is a good break angle at the nut by have a good number of wraps at the tuning post, this pushes the string down creating that angle.
And of course check the gauge some rattles are from gauge changes and the nut slots aren't right for it.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes I did try all possible options but didn't get rid of the rattle, plus it was just so dead also.

Emailed Jason Howe at rotosound got an instant response and had a replacement e string come through the door the next day which I fitted, and rattle cured!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1450639236' post='2934531']
Anybody else on here curious as to the mechanism that causes this to happen?
[/quote]

Could it be that the wrap (what is the correct term for this??) isn't tightly wound to the core?

Just to add my 'tail of woe' to this thread...I bought a box (6 sets) of LaBella's a while back. [b]FOUR[/b] A strings went back as they were dead. I tried all the above - I even swaped the E and A strings as a final position check.