Why become a member? ×

Bass beginner needs advice on small bass combo

Rocker

Not sure how much to spend, <€400 if possible, but I need a small bass combo. My music room is fairly full and there is not much room. On TheFretBoard I read positives for Fender Rumble, any MarkBass combo. Negatives for TC Electronics. I tried a MarkBass which while at the top end of my budget, sounded very good. A little less for an EBS which sounded good as did a Rumble 100.

Not sure what to do, any advice welcomed. My bass is an Aria STB Series. I have played 6 string electric guitars for years and got the bass mainly to learn about it. Now I want to learn how to play it and hope to get lessons early in the New Year. Hence the need for an amp as my guitar amps do not sound great when the bass is plugged in.

Thanks.

Ps, apologies if this subject has been raised many times in the past.

Rumble combos have got to be worth a serious look at, they generally get good press.

I had a 'cheapie' combo before I bought my head/cab - a Hartke HA1200 'Kickback 12'. 120w, single 12". I think I paid £80, and it was an amazing amp; loud, easy to use with a great meaty sound.

I have a Fender Rumble 100 and I'm really happy with it. Small enough to keep at home and loud enough to take to pub gigs. It's got all the features that you need to make life easy; aux-in and headphones for quiet practice, it's got three parametric EQ settings and an overdrive circuit (which I don't really like tbh). All for less than £250 new. And it weighs nothing at all!

I chose it over the TC Electronic combos purely because I don't like the look of them.

I've also used the Hartke 120 and quite impressed with it. Looks a bit utilitarian but very good quality amp.

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1449668891' post='2925778']
Any opinions on the Roland Cube 80 Bass amp guys? Thanks.
[/quote]The Rolands have a good reputation and always go for good money.

Whatever you but try to get one that has the ability to power an extension cabinet. Then if you like it you just have to add another cabinet for louder gigs. Some combos don't and some disconnect the internal speaker when you connect another cab.

Most will double their power (and only give their quoted output) when an extension speaker is connected. My second and third rigs were a Trace Elliot BLX130* and an Ashdown MAG300 115. The rated power of each was only achieved (130w for the BLX and 307w for the MAG) when a second cabinet was connected.

*Called the BLX because it was the Dog's BLX

The main decision is down to whether you want to start gigging with a drummer. For home practice the little practice amps are poor because the sound is pretty unsatisfying so the choice is between some of the smaller combos like the Roland or Hartke which have a much nicer sound or something which will probably be a little bigger and more expensive but which will gig like the Mark Bass. Only you can decide that.

I've got the Hartke kickback, they are discontinued but good second hand buys. I paid £125 for mine in mint condition but you could probably get one even cheaper now. The sound is excellent and it is just loud enough for rehearsals and I've even gigged it in small pubs, you can just get away with it but it struggles a little in the louder sections. I use it a lot for open mics. I've played through a Roland Cube and they look OK. If this is enough for you then that's the route I'd go. You can sell it and get your money back when you upgrade so there's no risk.

If you think gigging is imminent then something 200W or more is probably a better idea with probably 2x10 speakers to keep the footprint down if space is limited. The ability to use an extension cab then becomes quite useful.

Thanks guys. I should have said at the beginning that it is for home use with an occasional get together of my former band mates. I know little about bass playing but want a 'soft' traditional sound. No slap. No bass solos either. And I have very little room in my music room. It is home to my hi-fi system, guitars (don't ask how many), guitar amps, pedalboard and associated items, CD racks and a decent two seater couch. Tested one of the smallest MarkBass combos in a shop. Nailed the sound I wanted and not too big. Might be too good for my needs. Not cheap but could be got at a pinch. And I plan on having a series of lessons on the bass post Christmas. I know now that bass is different to a Strat or a Tele....

Hi Rocker,

You mentioned that you tried and liked a Markbass amp. Have you considered one of these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/markbass_micromark_801.htm

They're very small yet when I tried one out a little while back I was amazed at how big they can sound given their size. The downside of these being that they have very little in the way of controls, just a simple Volume and Tone however it does come with an Aux in and Headphone socket which could be nice additions if you're ever wanting to jam along with a track or two while avoiding annoying the neighbors/mrs.

All the best

James

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1449965369' post='2928492']
Hi Rocker,

You mentioned that you tried and liked a Markbass amp. Have you considered one of these: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/markbass_micromark_801.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...cromark_801.htm[/url]

They're very small yet when I tried one out a little while back I was amazed at how big they can sound given their size. The downside of these being that they have very little in the way of controls, just a simple Volume and Tone however it does come with an Aux in and Headphone socket which could be nice additions if you're ever wanting to jam along with a track or two while avoiding annoying the neighbors/mrs.

All the best

James
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion James. I did see one in one of the music shops in Dublin last week but did not try it out. They also had a neat MarkBass combo with what looks like two 8" speakers [it might be the MiniMark 11]. The MarkBass CMD JB Players School Combo interests me but I did not see or try out one.

This is for sale here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/274800-gk-backline-112-bass-combo-for-sale/

I have the 10" version, rated at 70w which packs a lot of punch for it's size. I lent it to one of my mates who gigged it in a local pub without any issues. You could do worse.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1450015588' post='2928778']
This is for sale here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/274800-gk-backline-112-bass-combo-for-sale/

I have the 10" version, rated at 70w which packs a lot of punch for it's size. I lent it to one of my mates who gigged it in a local pub without any issues. You could do worse.
[/quote]

Plus one.

Plenty of grunt for what you need it for and only costs £100 and will be worth £100 when you move it on again in the future. Worth bearing in mind if you don't really take to bass in the way that you wanted to.

I'd go for something with a 12inch speaker, at least 100 watts and with an aux in and headphones. IMO that strikes the balance between something that's small and portable but which can be used for rehearsal and on stage monitoring if you start to gig. As well as the fender rumble, check out the EBS session 120.

I'd be keeping an eye out for an Ampeg B100R. They're great for at home and loud enough to keep up with a drummer. Proper traditional tone. Valve pre. They look nice and are US made and relatively uncommon so will appreciate over time.

Can be found under budget. You might even get a B200R. They're great amps, no compromise there.

I have a new fender rumble 100v3
So so light but well built and the sound is very good and the overdrive is actually very useable. Fender really did put a lot of effort into the design of these.
The 100 is a full 100 watts and has a decent amount of volume. And could be used for small gigs it's certainly loud enough for any jam sessions.
I've tried the bigger 500 version and it was awesome if you ask me The new rumbles blow much more expensive combos out the water all things considered.
They also look great.

Guest gazzatriumph

The Rumble I had was 100 watt but the older version (4 years ago) not the new one V3, IMO it had no low end, cant comment on the new ones hopefully they have improved but as most people will tell you try out different amps til you find the one you like.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1450124521' post='2929883']
The Rumble I had was 100 watt but the older version (4 years ago) not the new one V3, IMO it had no low end, cant comment on the new ones hopefully they have improved but as most people will tell you try out different amps til you find the one you like.
[/quote]

The new rumbles are definitely improved. Although recently heard an older rumble 350 head with a mark bass 2x10 and yes it was a small gig but the bass was thunderous.
Sound is very subjective.

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1450128037' post='2929929']
The new rumbles are definitely improved. Although recently heard an older rumble 350 head with a mark bass 2x10 and yes it was a small gig but the bass was thunderous.
Sound is very subjective.
[/quote]
Sound is definitely subjective otherwise we would all have the same bass guitars and amps. That's the great thing about bass finding your sound but usually takes a few grand before you find it :D