Why become a member? ×

went to the OM night last night and ...

Geek99

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1448902268' post='2919031']
Johnny B Goode is a great tune with great energy and folk love it so why shouldn't it be played? People sometimes forget that playing live is for the enjoyment of the people listening and the players. If the open mic night is in a place with a mixed audience and the people playing enjoy it then it's going to be a winner. Glad you enjoyed your night
[/quote]

I appear to have offended and I whole heartedly apologise, but as you say, it's for the enjoyment of everyone and I don't like listening to everyone doing blues classics over and over, which is why I avoid these things. If you guys like it, fair play, go and enjoy it :)

Edit, I seem to have become a bit cynical in my old age after hearing songs like this done to death by countless bands. It just seems to be the staple of open mic nights. Again, I apologise. Everyone has differing tastes.

Edited by ubit

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1448844683' post='2918602']
Johnny B Goode? This is why I avoid open mic nights. Sorry, but I just can't stand blues classics being re run over and over ! Bah humbug !
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Johnny B Good is more rock n roll than blues. You might dislike both.

Blue

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1450170565' post='2930141']

I appear to have offended and I whole heartedly apologise, but as you say, it's for the enjoyment of everyone and I don't like listening to everyone doing blues classics over and over, which is why I avoid these things. If you guys like it, fair play, go and enjoy it :)

Edit, I seem to have become a bit cynical in my old age after hearing songs like this done to death by countless bands. It just seems to be the staple of open mic nights. Again, I apologise. Everyone has differing tastes.
[/quote]

I'm am so glad I have sn appreciation for all genres after playing for close to 50 years.

It's disappointing to see so many BC members with this "I don't like this and I don't Like that" perspective.

I have played Johnny B Good hundreds of times and still would have fun with it st an open Mic. It's always different.

I've been doing this long enough to where my attitude is "How can I make this fun" as opposed to "I don't like it" attitude.

My band had 2 songs that were really a drag for me. I changed up my approach, position, my bass line and employed my MXR Bass Octave pedal. Now,those songs are my favorites to play.

My point "I don't like it", what's it really worth?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1448880484' post='2918728']
Give me a break - it's something he had written out already and I had just met the guy got the first time that night.
I've been there about eight times now and it's the first blues I've heard

I was feeling pretty good about this until now
[/quote]

You should feel good about, sounds like it was fun.

I already took issue with this, " I don't like this and I don't like that" sentiment that is becoming prevalent on BC.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1448880969' post='2918733']

Ignore the Elite and carry on with having fun and bringing pleasure to others; not a bad thing at all in current times, or any time, I'd say. There's still much to be wrung out of any and all 'standards', in whatever genre; they have become 'classics' in the same way as classical music. That's because they're popular, not because they're intellectually high faluting. Rock on, I say.
[/quote]

Agreed, nice post.

Blue

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1448704017' post='2917492']
a nice redhead said I "[i]sounded f&*(ing fantastic[/i]" - they don't get [s]many[/s] any loud precision basses there, I got roped in to play Johnny B Goode with an acoustic (but amped) guitarist and apart from a moment of memory loss in the second verse it went pretty well for something I've only ever heard on the radio. The host jumped in to play lead too.

nice tone apparently (but likley helped a bit by my Zoom B2 on the ampeg setting). Quietly pleased.
[/quote]

watch out with that red head!

Last one who approached me like that ended up turning my world upside down... and we're very happy together now ;)

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1450180523' post='2930271']
More importantly, how did it go with the redhead? :D
[/quote]
It didn't and wasn't intended to, my partner and female kids might object :)

Just nice to get positive comments about tone (that you all get) when hearing my p bass really loud for first time (they heard it, I couldn't as in my naïveté I was right under the pa speaker)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1450223475' post='2930796']
[/quote]

I think that's a great approach, and it's one I use when I'm recording other people's music, or playing it for them

When it comes to listening to music, there's some stuff I really can't tolerate. The cheesiest easy listening pop, for example. It makes me angry. I can't even have it on in the background! I think having strong preferences is probably what drives my writing, and my creativity in general. I imagine that most of your favourite artists would "hate" some music.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1450223475' post='2930796']
I'm am so glad I have sn appreciation for all genres after playing for close to 50 years.

It's disappointing to see so many BC members with this "I don't like this and I don't Like that" perspective.

I have played Johnny B Good hundreds of times and still would have fun with it st an open Mic. It's always different.

I've been doing this long enough to where my attitude is "How can I make this fun" as opposed to "I don't like it" attitude.

My band had 2 songs that were really a drag for me. I changed up my approach, position, my bass line and employed my MXR Bass Octave pedal. Now,those songs are my favorites to play.

Blue
[/quote]

Well said that man. The whole point about a jam night should be that everyone has fun playing together and listening to others playing together. The names and order of the chords used to do that shouldn't be what counts. Same reason I never had a problem playing Mustang Sally, JBG, Sweet Caroline, Sweet Home Alabama, Hi Ho Silver Lining,Hey Jude, Angels all the other tunes some musos get all sniffy about. Have they become hackneyed cliches? Sure. Do the audience love them, crowd onto the dance floor, sing along and wave their beer glasses in the air? Absolutely and that's more than enough for me to enjoy the heck out of playing them!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1450222931' post='2930787']

I'm pretty sure Johnny B Good is more rock n roll than blues. You might dislike both.

Blue
[/quote]

Well, I would call it 12 bar blues, but I'm not going to nit pick