Why become a member? ×

Which Schroeder cab?

EvilSmile

Hey, been lurking here quite a bit, i'm looking into getting a cab for my Eden WT 800 its an older model on bridged only does 800watts at 8ohm. After considering and trying almost every cab under the sun i've decided that i think a Schroeder is the way forward, mainly due to weight, cost and the sound (all pretty much perfect imo!)

Anyway my choice comes down to the 1212 and the 1215. I'm torn as i like the the deep bass from a 15, but i like the response of a 12. I'm lost as to the effect of the 15 will have, and if the 1215 cab will still be as responsive as the 1212(within reason). My tests on them both couldn't determine what would happen as the volume level was more for tone than anything else. I play a huge range of stuff and i really like the idea of a 15'' speaker, but clarity and response is more pressing for most of the stuff i do. Oh both would be the lighter versions.

Any advice on this or even better experience with these cabs?

NB by the deep bass i'm not after a dubtastic bass but i like a bit of bass and low mid kick to my tone, and for my low B to be well defined and not too thin sounding!

Edited by EvilSmile

Hi Mate,

Welcome into the daylight!

I've got a 21012 which has a monstrous bottom end. Handles my low 'B' no problem and never gets flabby the way some 1x15's can.

For comparison, I also have an SWR Goliath 4x10 + Son of Bertha 1x15 rig that I use with the same amp head (SWR750X) for bigger rock gigs.

I am really considering getting a schroeder 4x10 to match up with the 21012 for a monster but relatively light weight rig.

Back to your question though, and be careful with the idea of the 12+15. Remember that one speaker (the 15) is mounted on an angled baffle which means its sort of in a bin type arrangement. There are far more knowledgeable people on here who can explain the physics but the net effect is an apparent increase in bass response.

WaterOfTyne on here used to use a 21012 as well and he likes a real old school thumping tone, but he's just moved to a Schro 410 because he found the 21012 to bass heavy (Correct me if I'm wrong mate). I can only imagine what a 1215 would sound like, but I would recommend trying both this and the 1212 before you part with any folding stuff.

[quote name='EvilSmile' post='281495' date='Sep 10 2008, 10:46 PM']Hey, been lurking here quite a bit, i'm looking into getting a cab for my Eden WT 800 its an older model on bridged only does 800watts at 8ohm. After considering and trying almost every cab under the sun i've decided that i think a Schroeder is the way forward, mainly due to weight, cost and the sound (all pretty much perfect imo!)

Anyway my choice comes down to the 1212 and the 1215. I'm torn as i like the the deep bass from a 15, but i like the response of a 12. I'm lost as to the effect of the 15 will have, and if the 1215 cab will still be as responsive as the 1212(within reason). My tests on them both couldn't determine what would happen as the volume level was more for tone than anything else. I play a huge range of stuff and i really like the idea of a 15'' speaker, but clarity and response is more pressing for most of the stuff i do. Oh both would be the lighter versions.

Any advice on this or even better experience with these cabs?

NB by the deep bass i'm not after a dubtastic bass but i like a bit of bass and low mid kick to my tone, and for my low B to be well defined and not too thin sounding![/quote]

I've got a 1212r and it sounds massive, loads of bass and low mids with plenty of power handling. Use it with a LMII now and it's a very capable rig. Definitely a good choice if you like clear and prominent mids as well as low end rumble.
The 1212r is also a one hand lift as long as you're not carrying it too far!

Not heard their bigger cabs but have no real need for anything else so haven't looked into it!

I will be very jealous if you get a 1215L ;-). I got a 1212L a few months ago and while i love it im more a 15" man and so i want to sell my 1210R and get a 1215L.

Ive got a 1210R and a 1212L and i can tell you both will handle low B without braking up IME. The 1212L more so but of course its not going to be the same as a bigger cab but i could get a nice growl from the low B on my 55-01 with my 1210R. I think because its not a thick, muddy low end you tend to get more of the note coming through (or something like that.)

ES, can i ask where you got to try the 1215L?

Cheers for the advice. Looks like the 1212 sounds like a great option, I think i might need to go back and try and test them again. Anyone here have a 1215, or is it mostly 1212's?

As it stands i think the 1212 will suit my needs perfectly, although the 1215 intrigued me, after these really positive comments i don't think i'll be needing the extra beef, as the punch from the 1212 looks like its gonna blow me away!

As for where i tried the cabs, i'm really bad with this i tend to just try them and make notes on the cab. I've gone and tested so many that i really don;t remember the locations only that every cab i tried after the schroeders just didn't compare imo. Sorry about that!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='281913' date='Sep 11 2008, 03:15 PM']I will be very jealous if you get a 1215L ;-). I got a 1212L a few months ago and while i love it im more a 15" man and so i want to sell my 1210R and get a 1215L.

Ive got a 1210R and a 1212L and i can tell you both will handle low B without braking up IME. The 1212L more so but of course its not going to be the same as a bigger cab but i could get a nice growl from the low B on my 55-01 with my 1210R. I think because its not a thick, muddy low end you tend to get more of the note coming through (or something like that.)

ES, can i ask where you got to try the 1215L?[/quote]

Edited by EvilSmile

[quote name='EvilSmile' post='282070' date='Sep 11 2008, 06:40 PM']As for where i tried the cabs, i'm really bad with this i tend to just try them and make notes on the cab. I've gone and tested so many that i really don;t remember the locations only that every cab i tried after the schroeders just didn't compare imo. Sorry about that![/quote]

No problem. Im surprised there are any in this country yet and as they have only just come out. Are you sure it was a 1215L?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='282099' date='Sep 11 2008, 07:34 PM']No problem. Im surprised there are any in this country yet and as they have only just come out. Are you sure it was a 1215L?[/quote]

If thats the case it probably wasn't a 1215, it had a 15" in it though as was about the same size, maybe a 1515? - i'm no expert and was a while ago since i tried it.

This may complicate things as i could go with a 1212 and be confident, or take a risk with the 1215L......the plot thickens a little bit.

I'll send some emails direct and ask em in this case. I'll post what i find out.

For what its worth, I'm a recent convert to the Schroeder world.
I used to lug around some BIG boxes, that never really did what I thought they might do. Time and technology moves on, and after some extensive umm'ing and arr'ing (and some useful chats on here), I bit the bullet and bought a 1210R.

From the first moment I turned it on I was sold. They really are great cabs. I've got no complaints about the low end, even at volume. Admittedly I don't use my 5 string very much, and I like growl as well as thump (well, I do use a Stingray and Jazz!), but it holds together well and the projection is immense.

Might even make Dave an offer for his 1210R if he's selling and make a monster..... :)

[quote name='coasterbass' post='282359' date='Sep 12 2008, 09:19 AM']For what its worth, I'm a recent convert to the Schroeder world.
I used to lug around some BIG boxes, that never really did what I thought they might do. Time and technology moves on, and after some extensive umm'ing and arr'ing (and some useful chats on here), I bit the bullet and bought a 1210R.

From the first moment I turned it on I was sold. They really are great cabs. I've got no complaints about the low end, even at volume. Admittedly I don't use my 5 string very much, and I like growl as well as thump (well, I do use a Stingray and Jazz!), but it holds together well and the projection is immense.

Might even make Dave an offer for his 1210R if he's selling and make a monster..... :)[/quote]

when i get some funds together I'll let you know. Bear in mind its a 4 ohm cab though and wont be till after Christmas.

Ok so i've heard back from jorg schroeder.

So the 1215 has more lowend than the 1212L, sounds fat, punchy and is very articulate. It sounds perfect in every way i think i made a choice on what cab i'll be getting, just need to wait till i have the funds to order one now!

The first batch shipped last week, so i gather feedback will be coming in soon enough via forums and what not.

I'll add to this if it's any help.

I've been using a 1212L for (I think) about two years now and it does everything I need for rock/ blues/pop covers. To my ears it sounds both deep and punchy and I get nothing but positive comments on the sound.

Obviously I haven't heard the 1215 cab and that must be fantastic but still, I doubt if I'll change from the 1212L - it's really that good IMO.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='coasterbass' post='282425' date='Sep 12 2008, 10:35 AM']Coolio.
4 ohm = excellent. That'll take me to a 1.5kw rig that fits in a coupe. Nuts![/quote]

My 1210R is now unfortunately up for grabs here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28077&st=0#entry289744"]1210R for sale.[/url]

My drummer went and got a car that's smaller than his old one so now i need to find something smaller like a 12+.