Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird neck dive solution.

Phil Starr

The only thing I that I found helped the neck dive on my Epiphone T-bird was passing the strap in front of the body rather than behind so the bass leaned back a little and the pressure of the strap counterbalanced the weight of the neck.

I found moving the strap button to the position the OP indicates made the neck dive worse as it moved the end of the neck further away from my body.

I don't believe there's a way to eliminate the neck dive on certain instruments (you can't argue with moment arms) - one just reduces it to an acceptable amount.

Edited by ahpook

An alternative solution?...

How about anchoring the bridge end of the strap to a belt loop? A climbing carabiner might work and is quick to clip on and off.

This might depend on how high or low you have your bass, but its a T-Bird- and it should be illegal to wear it above waist height!

Edited by James Nada

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1447234468' post='2905905']
Hoping to go into the annals of fame with this one.

All sorts of solutions from thick straps to hanging weights onto the bass but none work without problems.

Playing the other day, wishing I could get the sound without the dive, when I looked down and thought 'if only I had a third point to attach the strap to the body of the bass' (where the lower part of the strap emerges from behind the body). I looked across at my skinny string and the light bulb went off. I removed the capo, clipped the strap to the Tbirds beautiful but flawed body and hey presto! The out of body experience of a Tbird I didn't have to struggle with. No more twisting in my hands and no neck dive at all. with the business end of the capo being the only bit showing it didn't look too bad either. I'm sure I can work out a better clip but the T'bird is going to get a lot more use now.

you can thank me later :)
[/quote]

Let me see if I have this right:

You're using an open-end lever-type capo to clip the strap to the upper point of the Tbird body, behind your right elbow.

I think that must be right. But pics would really help :)

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1447961128' post='2911907']
An alternative solution?...

Its a T-Bird- and it should be illegal to wear it above waist height!
[/quote]

I agree, but thanks for putting that horrible picture in my head of someone wearing one across his chest. :(