Why become a member? ×

Tolex Cleaner Recommendations

lone_groover

I have used Nomad Amp and Case cleaner with good results - This is the blurb........

Amp & Case Cleaner and Conditioner
Just buy a new or used amp? Looking to restore your old amp to a like new shine? Clean, condition, preserve & shine your amp or case with our special formula. It works great on all leather, vinyl & rubber AMPS, CASES, DRUM CHAIRS & ELECTRONIC RUBBER PADS and delivers a long lasting dry to touch new shine finish Our proprietary formula embeds itself safely in fibers of leather, vinyl & rubber creating a moisture resistant barrier. It does not attract dust because it is non greasy. We even add UV protectants. This product contains no harsh chemicals and is 100% non abrasive.

Warm soapy water (fairy liquid is fine) and a soft plastic bristled brush (old toothbrush) for getting into the little crevices, obviously making sure you don't get water inside the case.

One trick some of the shops use is a bit of WD40 polished in afterwards. Gives it a nice shine at the expense of a thin film of oil.

This is how we used to clean up rexine in the ' reconditioned' radio and tv shop I worked at in the 60s when rexine and tolex were common. dont try itwith paper backed rexine on dansettes though..

1001 carpet cleaner, capful in a saucer of warm water, fairly stiff brush in a circular motion a patch at a time, then wipe it off with a damp cloth. Takes the shine off with all the old grime, so you need to polishit afterwards.

Bad stains come off with car wheel cleaner, but you have to be quick.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1446600868' post='2900784']
Ambersil.

I used to work at a Cash Converters & we used that stuff on everything for a nice "as new " smell AND look.

Great on tolex but in fact works great on anything.
[/quote]

Which Ambersil ?

The only one I know is switch cleaner. But they probably make other stuff as well.

Ambersil make polish/renovation spray-used it for years on the insides of pub fruit machines so that they looked presentable when we moved them from site to site...it's good, but as far as I can remember, any silicone car finish spray will do the same job, without the pleasant smell, but cheaper.
Incidentally...they use WD40 on steel-hulled Lifeboats, it makes them look shiny..........

:)

Edit- Its's been a few years...we used 'amberclens' (blue can)...& 'natsil' (brown can)
Neither show up on Radiospares site...I would again suggest cheap car silicone spray, buffed to a shine after it dries.....

Edited by taunton-hobbit