Why become a member? ×

NBD - Spector NS5H2

72deluxe

Backstory:
I have played Warwicks for years and years and years and am very happy with them and have a few in a variety of interesting models. I have never had a Warwick Streamer so can't comment on them or their similarities to Spector basses. I normally play a 5 string FNA Jazzman which has an ovangkol neck, which some decry as being a baseball bat but I love that neck and love that bass; it really sings.

I did have a 6 string Corvette that I found too heavy (bubinga body) and the neck was too wide for me (I am used to 5s), so to replace the Corvette I bought this wonderful Spector from a chap here on basschat. He was endorsed by them but had not played for a year sadly, and needed to get driving so sold this. Sad for him, wonderful for me as it is a 2010 USA Spector.

Perfect condition (only two blemishes, brass may have suffered from sweat/dirt a bit) and it needed a small amount of cleaning but absolutely great and a wonderful price.

Upon asking Spector for details on it, the back is lightweight mahogany, top is buckeye burl, 3 piece maple neck (bolt-on), ebony fretboard (but you can see the grain in it), EMG 40TW pickups with each pickup with its own volume control and push/pull pot for single or dual coil, a midrange boost with push/pull 400/800Hz centre frequency, and stacked bass/treble pot for +-18dB/+-16dB respectively, with the preamp being an Aguilar OBP3.

Photos (but colours changed to compensate for my rubbish photography and to bring out the grain better).
[attachment=203916:DSC04257~2.jpg] [attachment=203917:DSC04261~2.jpg]

MORE PHOTOS HERE -----> [url="https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2dUQpSGutXEUDRicTJUNVlOakE&usp=sharing"]https://drive.google...akE&usp=sharing[/url]

Compared to the FNA Jazzman I have which has a Warwick preamp in it, the bass/treble boosts on this are really insane so I don't know the range on the Warwick. Plus, having separate volume for each pickup is new for me - I am used to a master volume with a blend.

The string spacing is mildly wider than I am used to but this just means it is easier to slap it to death, so poor neighbours (and band!). It sounds mellower than my Warwick but it's all good.
I can do incredibly boring/non-musical-pyrotechnic-style-playing demo videos if required.

Edited by 72deluxe

Very nice bass, great pics too. You're a natural at this NBD lark!! Nicely done. Your new bass is officially real! :) However, I would have posted it in 'Bass Guitars' and called the thread 'NBD - Spector NS5H2', but these are mere details... ;)

Edited by discreet

Haha thanks discreet..... I didn't know where to post it! Any way of moving such threads elsewhere?

FuNkShUi, do you find the Streamer alright? Do you get looks of disdain from Spector owners? Ever tried one?
My FNA is flat, so this Spector permits me to grow a beer belly with impunity, as it accommodates the belly with its curve.

Edited by 72deluxe

The streamer is the only bass i've used to gig since i had it 5 years ago.
Many have come and gone in that time, but the streamer will always remain!!
Its got a super slim neck, its a '87 stage 1, and has all the tonal options i need with a P+J P/UP configuration.
I love it.
I havent had too many dirty looks, although that might be because i avoid eye contact :D
I would like to try a Spector like yours though. Although i did have one, it'd be a 4

[quote name='72deluxe' timestamp='1446069486' post='2896732']
It sounds mellower than my Warwick.
[/quote]
[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1446221089' post='2897896']
That surprises me!
[/quote]

That surprises me, too. Do you have wildly differing strings on the two basses? I would have expected your new baby to have a completely balls-out tone compared with a Warwick. But then I'm not really [i]au fait[/i] with Warwicks, so I'll shut up! :)

Congrats! It's beaut! Gotta say though, my Spector must be, flat-out, the most ridiculously ballsy and aggressive sound I've ever heard. The one thing I can't seem to do with it is 'mellow'. :D

Edited by 40hz

Hmmmm thought provoking. It might be because I've got an Warwick FNA Jazzman with Pro Steels on it, and the humbucker is very harsh sounding. You can mellow it up (thankfully) with the jazz pickup on it.

I will do a comparison! Perhaps I am not digging in enough...

Not sure what's on the Spector - they don't feel like steel to me. I will restring it. One thing I can say is that it has the most bewildering variety of tone capabilities. I am very impressed.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay! I will record one this weekend! Apologies.

Do you want it a slap festival or a "here are the variety of tones available" sort of video, with long notes held for different EQ settings and pickup settings?

I know that slapping makes some people angry (not me personally, love a good triplet), so what techniques are welcome/wanted?