Why become a member? ×

Sorry if this question has been done to death, but.....

Painy

In my recent thread asking how best to spend £1000 of my lovely wife's inheritance money, I got some great advice and overall decided I'd rather go for a complete new lightweight rig with a class-d head than get a heavy all tube head to power my existing cabs - a decision borne out by having had some back pain this week.
Anyway, I was pretty much set on a pair of Fender Rumble 210 cabs but I'm now wondering if I should maybe consider a pair of 112 cabs as an alternative.
The obvious pros and cons are the 210s would make for a taller stack and therefore get closer to ear level and I'd be confident that they'd move enough air (loud rock band up against hard hitting drummer and 2 100W valve Marshall half stacks with no PA support) but the 112s would be lighter, more compact and also seem to be the flavour of the month which I imagine must be for a reason but I don't know if they would cut it as I've never used 12s before.
So would you go 112 or 210 and why (and then I promise to stop asking you all questions for a while) :) ?

If I was buying now, I'd probably go for the 210s purely for the reason you mentioned - that of having a driver up at earhole level, so in that sense it would be half an 810 in the way that a 410 is not. On the other hand, I own two Bill Fitzmaurice J12s, which are 1 X 12 each and it's just about the most versatile modular set-up you can get in practical terms - each weighs 18kg and can handle 400W RMS at 8ohms through a Kappalite 3012HO Neo. So one cab for rehearsals and small gigs and both for medium to large venues. With one atop the other there is no problem hearing yourself on stage, believe me. Sounds very good with an all-valve amp.

There's something about the sound of two 1 X 12 cabs that you don't seem to get with 10" drivers, though I do like the 'sound' of 10" drivers, if there is such a thing, though we're told there isn't... and the difference between one and two 1 X 12 cabs is really profound and way more than the sum of their parts. However, my solution was to buy a single 4ohm cab loaded with two 10" drivers and one 12" driver. Sweet!

In any case, for me the big deal with heavy rigs is not the amp in particular, it's the cab(s) that are usually the problem. So I think a good compromise is to have a chunky amp - which though heavy, is not really very bulky - and one or two lightweight cabs. You don't have to compromise your tone if your lightweight cabs can handle the beans and sound good.

Edited by discreet

I use both.

My lightweight rig is class D and 2x112's... and they are ceramic chassis weighing 10kgs. Work fine.

So my decision is full beans rig...I pick the speakers that work for me the best..
For lightweight rig..and an alternative, weight is the lead factor...but not by much..they still sound very good, IMO, which is why I researched them and ended up with the ones I did...

If I didn't have the heavier rig to compare, I'd be less aware of the difference and would be happy with the compromise.

Edited by JTUK

I use a 212 cab and can`t imagine needing more volume than it`s capable of handling, so a couple of 112s should be more than capable. In scenarios like this it`s not only down to cab configuration but also cab quality - get the best cabs availalble and they should be more than fine, be it 210s or 112s. It`s unlikely that a couple of Bergantino or Aguilar 112s would run out of steam from what I`ve read, whereas lesser budgeted 210s might struggle.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1445800132' post='2894339']
Then there's a Bergantino CN212 in the classifieds. I'd bet my CN212 against your guitarists any day.
[/quote]

To be honest I'd prefer the modular aspect of 2 cabs but reassuring that 2 12" drivers can be capable of standing up to pretty much anything - given a relatively efficient cab anyway.

I'm also thinking that the advantage the extra height the 210s would give could be gained by lifting the 12s of the ground a bit anyway.

Hmmm. Think I might have to see if I can push my budget a bit, or maybe just go for used, for some better quality 112 cabs - any impartial thoughts on the pair of Purple Chili PCB112T Neo cabs in the market place at the moment?

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1445808175' post='2894438']
Hmmm. Think I might have to see if I can push my budget a bit, or maybe just go for used, for some better quality 112 cabs
[/quote]

You get way more for your money when buying used - BC Marketplace is your friend!

I don't think you need the cabs right up by your ears either..
I never stack vertically... although the 210 rig will sit higher than the 2x12 naturally.

If people can't hear the bass... I wouldn't start by putting the 'stack' right in my ear...as the issue
is deeper, IMO.
It is the same as the 'mids' conundrum but maybe the remedial work required is
something people don't fancy..

10's V 12's...typically, 12's are more the compromise, IMO but you shouldn'r suffer
too badly from it.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1445808175' post='2894438']

Hmmm. Think I might have to see if I can push my budget a bit, or maybe just go for used, for some better quality 112 cabs - any impartial thoughts on the pair of Purple Chili PCB112T Neo cabs in the market place at the moment?
[/quote]
They're not neo, but Thomann are doing TC Electronic RS112 cabs for about £180 just now.

I previously had two TC BC210 and sold one to buy an RS112. Fantastic sounding cab and very light. Holds its own against two guitars, drums and a violin well enough at rehearsals.

My 2nd BC210 will soon be going to be replaced by another 112s. Like you, I am drawn to the modular aspect.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1446378822' post='2898858']
JTUK - In what way do you see 12" speakers as a compromise? I'm not quite sure what aspect you're getting at, but I'm ready to be edumacated!
[/quote]

I think they build them to sit between a typcal 15 and 10's... but if I compare my 12"s and I've had a few incarnations... I find..and like..
that the 12's are more bass orientated... for certain gigs... but for control I prefer the 10's. The 10 stack does not lack a full sound by any stretch
but the 12's fill just a bit more. This ISN'T always what you want. Adding bass isn't a problem, wiping it off, definitely is.

If I had the gig for it, I'd have an 810...but my compomise rigs are a mix is 12 and 10's... and I'm perfectly happy with that and not looking
for anything else, but the 10's have it for me.