Why become a member? ×

Finding the "Sweet spot"

paulnb57

So I have a project on the go, I have an Epiphone EB-0 neck which I hope to marry up to an unrouted for pickups Coronado body (its in the mail)...
I hear all the time about locating a pickup on the sweet spot, between bridge and neck position (?) ala MM....so, on a short 30inch scale, how do I determine where the sweet spot is?

Or to put it another way (if the sweet spot is a myth) where should I locate the pup? I intend to recycle the EB-0 parts from the bass that supplied the neck, so Mudbucker/Sidewinder it is! Although I do have a Mustang bridge that I will use....
I may just put it where it is on the EB, unless someone suggests otherwise would be beneficial.....

Thanks in anticipation...

Paul

Edited by paulnb57

Get the measurement from the center of the pickup to a reference point such as the bridge (harder since the saddles are staggered), nut, or 12th fret on a real Stingray. Then divide by 34 and multiply by 30 and you should get the equivalent distance for a 30" scale bass.

I agree with the suggestions that it depends on what you like/want to hear. There's no one best position and I suspect that the actual pickup type will influence where you'll end up placing it as much as a position chosen relative to the locations of the vibration antinodes/nodes along the string (in other words a humbucker might well sound good in a position that a single coil won't and vice versa).

I don't really believe in so-called sweet spots because such a spot would move every time you fretted a note ... but that's not to say that pickups don't sound different in different positions.

However, where you position the pickup will need to take account of the string spacing in relation to the spacing of the poles of the pickup. You'll want them to match up.

Similarly, You'll need to position the bridge carefully to get the right scale length - a Coronado has a 21 fret neck and 30" scale but an Epiphone EBO has only 20 frets but a 30.5" scale.

If you are using the Epiphone neck you will need to use the Epiphone scale length.

Thanks for the replies folks

The Coronado body is someone elses unfinished project, bare wood and is only routed for neck and the f holes are done, so its a blank canvas......the neck pocket and the EB-0 neck are the same dimensions so the neck should fit, perhaps with a little fettling, then its a matter of locating the bridge at the EB-0 scale length, which I will measure on the neck donor.....rout for the pickup, drill for the wiring and pots etc and paint, if the poles on the EB-0 pickup are far enough apart to go for the MM position then thats where it will go, if not it will be centred on the 24th fret location as it was on the donor......

I've built several partscaster guitars so am fairly confident its achievable.......

Paul

[quote name='paulnb57' timestamp='1445371633' post='2891056']
Thanks for the replies folks

The Coronado body is someone elses unfinished project, bare wood and is only routed for neck and the f holes are done, so its a blank canvas......the neck pocket and the EB-0 neck are the same dimensions so the neck should fit, perhaps with a little fettling, then its a matter of locating the bridge at the EB-0 scale length, which I will measure on the neck donor.....rout for the pickup, drill for the wiring and pots etc and paint, if the poles on the EB-0 pickup are far enough apart to go for the MM position then thats where it will go, if not it will be centred on the 24th fret location as it was on the donor......

I've built several partscaster guitars so am fairly confident its achievable.......

Paul
[/quote]

Sounds good. Good luck with it. We will need to see pics of the progress please.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1445372013' post='2891057']
Much good advice above about what sound you want and the 'sweet spot' moving with different fret positions plus the string spacing issue. Be bold, engineer a sliding pickup like the Gibson Grabber :D
[/quote]

Please don't, as sliding pick ups/ Gibson grabber are the work of the devil!

Reading all of the above and taking note. . . . . :)

I was lucky enough to have a Westone Rail and I agree with EssentialTension, there are (to my ear)
no real sweet spots.
What it did teach me was that moving it a small distance - 10 to 15mm did change the tone.

In essence - near bridge, more bark - less punch.
Mid position way more punch, less bark and not too much mud.
Neck - no bark, some punch and lots of mud! ;)

No, I'm not talking about canine mud fighting!! :lol:

B)

As other have said, the 'sweet spot' is somewhat subjective.

But another huge factor in placing the pickup is the tone of the pickup itself...

I love the tone of the neck pickup on my Ric copy - it's a Kent Armstrong toaster style one. So when I bought a Lakland Decade, it was because it had the neck pickup in a similar position and I thought I'd get a similar tone. I don't. It sounds completely different.

With the Jazz Bass bridge pickup, I have a 70s one and it's a little too barky on it's own to be honest. I always end up blending a bit of the neck PU with it. On the 90s jazz I can use the pickup on its own no problem, same pickups (Wizard, 74s custom wound) with 1/2 an inch difference in position.

So the 'sweet spot' is finding the right pickup and the right location for [u]that[/u] pickup in my opinion.
e.g. muddy pickup, put it nearer the bridge to add bark.

This is why somtimes people replace their pickups to something with a different tone, they could get a similar effect by moving the pickup they have, but on an already made bass that is messy. You have the luxury of choosing from two separate variables.

Your best bet would be knocking up something like Leo Fenders plank, screw the neck and bridge to it, string it up and move the pickup you have chosen to fit until you like the sound. Measure it, and put it there on the real body.

String up the bass. Wire up the pickup outside of the instrument. While playing, have a friend hold the pickup close to the strings and move it along the length of the strings, from closer to the neck to closer to the bridge, until you find a spot where you like the tone. I used to have a cheap ceramic J-pickup that I used as a test pickup to do just that when figuring out where I wanted the pickups on my custom half-fanned P/J.