Why become a member? ×

Flats, but on which bass

FelixGubbins

I've heard a but about flats on a P bass and my first thought was to try this first but then wondered whether the wider done palate of a jazz might be a better bet. I'm not so sure of trying on the Ricky yet as the tuner configuration means i can't put them back on the 4 in line basses

[quote name='FelixGubbins' timestamp='1445032118' post='2888402']
...wondered whether the wider done palate of a jazz might be a better bet.
[/quote]

I used flats on an active Jazz at a gig and they worked very well. But if you like the Jazz 'growl', flats will be less effective.

Flats on a J has been a go-to combination for reggae cats forever. I've heard some pretty great rock tones from that combination as well, but you're right about some of the growl going AWOL.

As for the flats & P combination; well things do become standard for a reason! It worked for thousands of R&B hits for decades. It's a great sound (especially if you just happen to have a B15 lying around!).

[quote name='Lo-E' timestamp='1445088351' post='2888721']
As for the flats & P combination... It's a great sound (especially if you just happen to have a B15 lying around!).
[/quote]

Or if you have a VT Bass lying around. It's better-known for its full-on 8X10 rock tones, but can also be persuaded to produce some very convincing warm, fat, round tubey Motown/Stax vibes too.

[quote name='FelixGubbins' timestamp='1445074488' post='2888568']
I thing in swayed to the P then, think I might give the jazz a miss as I do love the growl. Any opinion on the Ricky? What would out do to the slightly lacking low down punch?
[/quote]
It's an alright combination, but not the ideal one. You like your Jazz for the growl, what is it about the Ric you like? Many folk like the growl, so use rounds. I have rounds on my Ric, and have a P with flats on - TI JF344's - which doesn't give me a Jamerson esque thud, but it controls that top end and gives me a very "musical" sound, that is to say I can use the P with the TI's on in just about any genre.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1445095669' post='2888777']

what is it about the Ric you like? [/quote]

It's the shape and feel of the Ricky that I like. Sound wise I became a bit disillusioned with it as I was after more bottom at the time. Not an issue now I've got more options with the other basses. It's resting at the moment and needs a bit of tlc in the form of a new jack

I've had flats and rounds on both my Jazz and Precision, and change my opinion quite a lot! If I had the money and space, I'd own two of each to have all options available - it's four very different sounds.
As it stands, I'm using flats on my Jazz and rounds on my Precision. My current reasoning is that flats give the Jazz a smoother, less harsh tone - particularly on the bridge pickup. I find the mellowness a good match to the brightness of the pickup and makes it more useable when solo'd, and makes the Jazz more versatile all round. On the other hand, I find rounds gives a P a great rock sound.

I'm using very bright steel rounds on my Lakland 5501, though I will try flats on that next!

My advice - try flats on all your basses over a reasonable period of time (one at a time!) and make sure you try in a band situation. In my opinion, you won't appreciate flats properly until you've at least had a band rehearsal with them.

George

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1445120018' post='2889010']
I've had flats and rounds on both my Jazz and Precision, and change my opinion quite a lot! If I had the money and space, I'd own two of each to have all options available - it's four very different sounds.
[/quote]

That's definitely the way to go. Part way there as have got another p body and neck. Now I've got the perfect reason to buy another jazz :-)