Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk Jake PJ / 1971 Precison comparison - can you tell which is which?

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443628795' post='2876424']
Oi fink we noe dat :-)
[/quote]

I don't think too many do tho...
You see far too many questions about what do certian basses sound and play like..even here..
and I don't believe ANYONE has cracked that level of consistancy.
I think/hope creditable makers have cracked the QC/build to an extent but sound is still the
big varible. IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1443639680' post='2876562']I don't believe ANYONE has cracked that level of consistancy.
I think/hope creditable makers have cracked the QC/build to an extent but sound is still the big varible. IMO.
[/quote]

Well yes, the more experienced you are and the "better" your ears are, the more likely it is that you will hear differences between basses from the same manufacturer and even the same type. I have four J basses (not all Fender) and they all sound different to me.

Materials vary - and wood in particular varies. Even two pieces of wood from the same tree will vary slightly. As bass guitars are still mainly made from wood, these variations will show themselves in sound, but to a greater extent in playability. Even metal varies, so the wire and magnets that makes up the pickups will show small differences... This is not necessarily down to inconsistencies in production methods or poor QC (well, Fender notwithstanding! ;) ) but down to inherent variability within the materials themselves. Is it always a bad thing?

In some ways, it is surprising that so many basses sound similar! :lol:

I guess what Michael's test shows is that it is not necessary to pay £2000+ to get the tone and playability of early seventies Fender.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1443697588' post='2876932']
I guess what Michael's test shows is that it is not necessary to pay £2000+ to get the tone and playability of early seventies Fender.
[/quote]

True but necessary to get an early seventies Fender ;) which has more to do with mojo, vibe and/or snobbery (not meant in a bad way, rather a collectorsaficionado/connoisseur kind of way!) than anything else.

Cause let's face it, to get a P sound and feel, all you need is two planks of wood of a particular shape with four strings and a P type pick up - yep, sorry to be stating the obvious here :ph34r:

A cool little test though Michael, thanks for keeping us busy thinking about basses and not ... other stuff :D

Great playing and great tone (as ever) Michael, but at the risk of having stuff thrown at me, why should we be impressed that a bass built this year can sound as good as one built over 40 years ago? The reason the Fender has high market value is related to culture, it doesn't take anything away from it, but it's what it is, in many respects an antique. What I'd really like to hear is what the newer bass can do that the older one can't (and I'm not talking about the J-PUP)? OK, I take the point that owning the newbie means not having to take expensive instruments to gigs etc, and also that the newbie is perhaps a tad more reliable. But unlike the Squier Precisions, it's still far from a budget instrument?

Not trying to be difficult, and I've been as susceptible as anyone else to the appeal of the retro and vintage, but we seem to go through waves of various Fender relics/copies on BC (Nash, Bravewood, Limelight, etc), everyone appears to get excited, then we move on to the next brand? It seems to be becoming almost a forum pathology?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443717006' post='2877147']
Of course - the main point of interest for me was how a chambered featherweight PJ can compare to a stock P.
[/quote]

That's actually a good point, weight was never a predictable characteristic of 70's Fenders!