Why become a member? ×

The Guys That Re-form, Why?

Happy Jack

Interestingly My wife went to see them locally, with some girlfriends, a week or two ago at a 900 seater theatre. The band was essentially Les, and a bunch of session guys - but - he's been playing with them for about 20 years. It was about a third full and after expenses they couldn't have cleared more than a few grand. However, as has been said, better than being on the dole, and the ladies that were there, had great time. They still have a court case going on against their management team I believe, as they were on wages all the time the hits were rolling in, and the only one who has made any money is the guy who wrote some of the songs. Good luck to them - perhaps better to be a has been than a never was, and if fans and band are both enjoying it, fair play.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1443045010' post='2871877']
The Solid Silver 60's Show is playing to packed houses every gig.

People want to see the guys who made their favourite music, from when they were young.

We, of all people, shouldn't be wishing musicians out of work.

I think any musician who is fit and able to gig should be, especially when there is a keen audience ready to buy tickets.
[/quote]

There are many fans who don't want Slade(2) using the name, at one time that allegedly included Jimmy Lea. The current show is very much lowest common denominator and not a patch on the original line-up's act, but the guys do need to eat - and it's all they've ever done. I go to see them as much to catch up on old mates these days, including the band. The Xmas "home" gig will be "special" ;)

I read last year that Brian Johnson had gone back to being a car mechanic after Geordie split up. When the AC/DC rep came calling he didn't believe him & demanded that Malcolm come to ask him personally - which he did. A really good story, but many bandmembers don't even have a prior job to go back to, especially for a guy nearing 70 years old.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1443099498' post='2872195']
... but many bandmembers don't even have a prior job to go back to, especially for a guy nearing 70 years old.
[/quote]

Tony Iommi could go back to working sheet metal, so long as this time he actually had the health + safety training ...

I don't see why anyone who has enjoyed gigging themselves would knock them for it. It addictive, and whether they enjoy it or not, its more fun than a straight job in a factory, which most of them would be too old for anyway.

How many on here complain about playing the same ol tired covers to 2 old men and a dog, but still do it every weekend for next to nothing ?

There is nothing wrong with using the bands name that they had success with if it means getting punters through the door and bread on the table imo.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443011157' post='2871407']
Please God ... why, Why WHY???

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34323112"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-34323112[/url]
[/quote]

I haven't read all of the posts here. But in the States, sometime all that is left is the name of the band. And that name still has value. Many times the name has been left to family members and they have the right to use that name. You may see a band and it's the children of the original members, or maybe 1 original and a bunch of new guys.

So, the reason many reform is simply money. Somebody has something of value, your going to find a way to cash in.

Blue

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1443023199' post='2871578']
there's a lot of lucre in the nostalgia game.
[/quote]Which is why pub bands that play all the songs we love to hate, often badly (you know the ones), fill dance floors every week.