Why become a member? ×

That Michael Jackson Feel

MiltyG565

It's pretty commonly recognised that when it comes to pop, Michael Jackson and his producers absolutely nailed down and perfected the formula for creating pop masterpieces.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not really the typical pop consumer. I rarely listen to radio stations that play chart hits, and the odd time that I do, I normally find the music to be so over-produced and lacking any true connection as to be sickeningly off-putting. But recently I did happen upon this one, and my ears picked up. And after a moment's thought, I had worked out why it hadn't made me want to hammer a nail into my ears - It has the MJ thing going on, and in a big way.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqt8Z1k0oWQ[/media]

For my money, this is fantastic, and how pop should be done IMO.

Edit to add - 78 million hits on YouTube. It seems the MJ formula endures and conquers.

Edited by MiltyG565

He certainly has the vocal sound of MJ, but, to my ears, the backing is turgid electronica; no soul or funk. But this is what makes music interesting, in fact all art, just because one person finds it not to their liking, there will be plenty who do. However, I will never understand an unmade bed or a shark in formaldehyde.

Yeah it's OK and has some similarities but I still found it a little bland musically. Just my opinion tho and I can understand why people would like it.
Like has been said, mj would most likely have had real human beings playing real instruments if it was his song.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1442300713' post='2865784']
Yeah it's OK and has some similarities but I still found it a little bland musically. Just my opinion tho and I can understand why people would like it.
Like has been said, mj would most likely have had real human beings playing real instruments if it was his song.
[/quote]

Yep, I agree.
What was a massive part of MJ's sound, was the Quincy Jones (seriously) good production team.
along with his arrangements, orchestrations and the pool of top studio players he used.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1442313718' post='2865919']
From the title, I thought that Milty had been to Neverland.
[/quote]

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was thinking that then.

Guy Pratt has a great story about doing a session for MJ, where he's playing for the engineer, who is coming back with "I think Micahel would like that", but seems to be checking under the desk quite a bit more than normal. Turns out GP believe that Jackson was hiding under the desk and listening to him play, and communicating through the engineer!!

MJ went through a period of being vilified, but seems to be enjoying a mild resurgence, as people concentrate on his music, rather than his personal life. That said, I was talking to a DJ at a wedding venue recently, and he was telling me that at a recent wedding, he put on some MJ as a request, and a big lad came up within seconds and told him to take it off, "Or else". His point of view was that there were kids at the wedding and he shouldn't be playing anything "by that f**king paedo".

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1442318021' post='2865978'] ... That said, I was talking to a DJ at a wedding venue recently, and he was telling me that at a recent wedding, he put on some MJ as a request, and a big lad came up within seconds and told him to take it off, "Or else". His point of view was that there were kids at the wedding and he shouldn't be playing anything "by that f**king paedo". [/quote]
If I was the DJ, I would have said that MJ wasn't convicted & found innocent.
Glad he never got a request for "Wanna be in my gang"! :lol:

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1442318021' post='2865978']
MJ went through a period of being vilified, but seems to be enjoying a mild resurgence, as people concentrate on his music, rather than his personal life. That said, I was talking to a DJ at a wedding venue recently, and he was telling me that at a recent wedding, he put on some MJ as a request, and a big lad came up within seconds and told him to take it off, "Or else". His point of view was that there were kids at the wedding and he shouldn't be playing anything "by that f**king paedo".
[/quote]

what a f**king numbnuts knuckledragger moron

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1442397063' post='2866582']
There are a couple of alternative versions of the song in the OP here - [b]not [/b]sounding like MJ B)

[url="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153642660073896&fref=nf"]https://www.facebook...0073896&fref=nf[/url]
[/quote]

That's fantastic! :lol: