Why become a member? ×

What can you charge for a New Years Eve Gig?

phsycoandy

Charge as much as you think you can get! Personally I think you should be aiming for at least £150 each, although it depends very much on the gig and how much you want to play it! I'm lined up to dep for a band this New Year and we are looking at about £300 each - this is after agents fees etc. We have to play a quite a few sets mind you, so we're going to have to work for it, I also find the material is pretty tedious, even for a function band. Anyway, no getting drunk for me until it's all over.

NYE should be a nice little earner. I used to play in a local covers/function band and we used to get a minimum of £200 each (5 of us). We did the new years celebration on our local town square and there were 6000 people there and because of all the extra gear we needed we were on about £350 for the night plus we got free booze and food all night wherever we went for the night.

I would say free food, free booze and at least £150 each for a good nights entertainment.

[quote name='birdy' post='277183' date='Sep 4 2008, 04:33 PM']Depends how good your band is. Double your usual charge is about right in my experience.

Steve[/quote]

I wouldn't necessarily agree about how good the band is thing.... I've seen a lot of god awful bands go out for a lot of cash and some excellent musicians get paid a pittance for a NYE gig.... it's all about marketing and selling your band.

I think there are a lot of bands selling themselves rather short...... Come on guys it's the biggest party night on the calendar!!

[quote name='crez5150' post='277193' date='Sep 4 2008, 04:45 PM']I wouldn't necessarily agree about how good the band is thing.... I've seen a lot of god awful bands go out for a lot of cash and some excellent musicians get paid a pittance for a NYE gig.... it's all about marketing and selling your band.

I think there are a lot of bands selling themselves rather short...... Come on guys it's the biggest party night on the calendar!![/quote]

Agree with you in the main but what I am trying to say that is if your usual band charges £250 for a saturday night pub gig and you get £50 of that then as a rule of thumb you should expect about double for NY eve. As opposed to how good your band is maybe I should have said how financially succesful it is.

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='277204' date='Sep 4 2008, 04:56 PM']Agree with you in the main but what I am trying to say that is if your usual band charges £250 for a saturday night pub gig and you get £50 of that then as a rule of thumb you should expect about double for NY eve. As opposed to how good your band is maybe I should have said how financially succesful it is.

Steve[/quote]

Agreed!

[quote name='birdy' post='277183' date='Sep 4 2008, 04:33 PM']Depends how good your band is. Double your usual charge is about right in my experience.

Steve[/quote]

2 1/2 - 3 times normal rates ..

Don't be shy about it eaither as every band regularly earning money for gigs will ask for that much more for NYE. as will a DJ or any other kind of entertainment. The booker will be expecting it.
Door tickets will also be 2-3 times normal .....

We are doing Dubai again this year at over £500 each plus expenses. I'm treating it as a well deserved 3-4 day break but having a problem convincing my wife and children that it's work. Any ideas for hiding the tan when I get back ?
I think the most I got for a UK NYE was £400 but have done some around the £300 to £350 mark.

rumour is we may have a booking for £2.5k for our six piece.........again trying hard to convince the wife! what is with em eh!, hell i'd give her all the dosh in the end, but its, "well its family and friends time" u get the drift and i guess some of u have heard it all, how do i react?

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='277254' date='Sep 4 2008, 06:00 PM']rumour is we may have a booking for £2.5k for our six piece.........again trying hard to convince the wife! what is with em eh!, hell i'd give her all the dosh in the end, but its, "well its family and friends time" u get the drift and i guess some of u have heard it all, how do i react?[/quote]

Yeah well there's your guidance .. how much money do you need to earn before she says it's OK ...

One way to deal with the Marriage Maintenance Matters is to alternate one NYE playing and one at home ..