Why become a member? ×

What can you charge for a New Years Eve Gig?

phsycoandy

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='277254' date='Sep 4 2008, 06:00 PM']rumour is we may have a booking for £2.5k for our six piece.........again trying hard to convince the wife! what is with em eh!, hell i'd give her all the dosh in the end, but its, "well its family and friends time" u get the drift and i guess some of u have heard it all, how do i react?[/quote]

Family and friends time? Any day is that...... and NYE is just another day..... the difference is that NYE can earn you a packet! Go see you Auntie Mabel on Jan 3rd... :)

[quote name='cetera' post='277679' date='Sep 5 2008, 10:09 AM']Family and friends time? Any day is that...... and NYE is just another day..... the difference is that NYE can earn you a packet! Go see you Auntie Mabel on Jan 3rd... :)[/quote] I hear You, I hear you!

I think we're on 4x the normal (but normal on the WMC circuit is £200, I leave the calculation as an exercise for the reader). As Mrs Zero and Minus Zero will be coming too, there's no need to placate her. Just got to work out who's driving (probably me, as it means I can have a couple of pints but if she drives, she won't drink at all at all).

Of course, having parted ways with the singer since last NYE, it does mean we're on a bit of a bonus... :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='277905' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:16 PM']Strictly speaking about pubs and WMC here I've never achieved more than £150 per member but certainly never less than £125. I hear what others are quoting and don't dispute some of the fees that have been mentioned but you do have to be realistic and establish what the venue can stomach.[/quote]

I'd suggest you don't worry about the venue's finances for NYE unless you are good friends or want to play there a lot.
The bar takings will be huge.

[quote name='OldGit' post='277920' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:26 PM']I'd suggest you don't worry about the venue's finances for NYE unless you are good friends or want to play there a lot.
The bar takings will be huge.[/quote]

I've done my fair share of them over the years and I was more indicating that if you are going to price a job then you have to be realistic. Some guys on here are throwing four figure sums about (which is valid for large WMC and Corporate events)which your average spit and sawdust local will think is extracting the urine; if you go in with figures like that your 'unlikely' to get the gig and if you do [u]want[/u] the work you've got to price accordingly (whilst getting as much as you can for the effort) :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='278013' date='Sep 5 2008, 04:52 PM']I've done my fair share of them over the years and I was more indicating that if you are going to price a job then you have to be realistic. Some guys on here are throwing four figure sums about (which is valid for large WMC and Corporate events)which your average spit and sawdust local will think is extracting the urine; if you go in with figures like that your 'unlikely' to get the gig and if you do [u]want[/u] the work you've got to price accordingly (whilst getting as much as you can for the effort) :)[/quote]

Oh sure, but it's one night of the year when the demand is more in line with the supply.
No you won't get a Crez type rate unless your band is in the same league as his and regularly commands £2k anyway. Bands like that are usually booked for NYE by Jan 1st anyway

Hence my advice that you should be looking for 2-3 times your normal rate (for that venue) but you'd be daft to go in at normal rates to help out the venue unless you are doing them a favour or getting a year of work in return ...

Oh and unless the craic will be great. I've done a few NYE gigs where there's been little of no payment, or follow on gigs or whatever, but the party was fantastic. That's not really what we are talking about here though.

[quote name='OldGit' post='277363' date='Sep 4 2008, 09:04 PM']Yeah well there's your guidance .. how much money do you need to earn before she says it's OK ...

One way to deal with the Marriage Maintenance Matters is to alternate one NYE playing and one at home ..[/quote]

I have just turned down two well paying gigs- £200 per gig ( should have been this week and next week ) as my wife was saying I have been playing too much- (3 times per month )

So when she asked for the money for a new carpet I said we couldnt afford it- I said that to earn £400 in my hand I would have to earn about £850 before tax etc so it was a shame I couldnt do these two gigs.

A lesson learnt for my wife and you can guess what the answer will be the next time I am asked to Dep!!

cheers

Bob

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='278589' date='Sep 6 2008, 02:02 PM']I have just turned down two well paying gigs- £200 per gig ( should have been this week and next week ) as my wife was saying I have been playing too much- (3 times per month )

So when she asked for the money for a new carpet I said we couldnt afford it- I said that to earn £400 in my hand I would have to earn about £850 before tax etc so it was a shame I couldnt do these two gigs.

A lesson learnt for my wife and you can guess what the answer will be the next time I am asked to Dep!!

cheers

Bob[/quote]

Yeah It's balancing job but earning a fair wedge for a gig helps a lot during discussions at home. :)

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='278589' date='Sep 6 2008, 02:02 PM']I have just turned down two well paying gigs- £200 per gig ( should have been this week and next week ) as my wife was saying I have been playing too much- (3 times per month )

cheers

Bob[/quote]
Nice one! I bet you felt quietly glib!