Why become a member? ×

NBD: MM Stingray 5 Hp fretless

cybertect

So I'd been looking for a new 5 string bass better than my OLP MM3, and was also thinking about a new fretless to upgrade from a VM Jazz.

Then Wunjo Bass on Denmark Street in London got this beauty in which seems to cover both basses (forgive the pun :))

MM Stingray 5 with a piezo pickup, pau ferro unlined fretboard, apparently about a year old. The previous owner had it new as a custom build through Wunjo and then decided he didn't get on with it or something.

I'd rather always had a hankering for an unlined fretless, so that was a bonus.

Coincidentally, I already own a natural '79 MM Sabre that I bought in the same shop on Denmark Street, back in 1993 when it was the Bass Cellar. I'd gone in to look at Stingrays, but they were a little out of my price range and it was love at first sight with the Sabre anyhow. In the intervening two decades, I still hadn't managed to acquire a Stingray and this was the perfect opportunity.

As soon as I got my hands on it, I decided it was the one, and a little negotiation with Laurence and Tom got me a nice price.

Tempted to name it 'Louise' in honour of Lou Duffy-Howard who played a black fretless Stingray with the Red Guitars when I was in my teens back in the eighties and made me want one of my own ever since. I had a brief exchange with her on Twitter before making the purchase and I'm blaming her for egging me on to buy it. ;)

It took me a couple of weeks to get the money together and now the bass is mine. B)

Spent yesterday evening putting it through its paces with headphones at home and I'm still chuffed. Rehearsal with the band on Tuesday.

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1441472788' post='2859122']
That is nice - I hear pau ferro makes a really growly sound for fretless too!
[/quote]

Yes - it's utterly different to the VM Jazz with its ebanol board, which was a lot smoother, though I did have Chromes flats fitted to that.

Did the first rehearsal with the band last night (though somewhat inconsiderately our drummer was off on holiday).

My fretless Jazz had lines; practice over the weekend paid off and I think I have my intonation fairly well sorted with the unlined board. The other guys liked it a lot and, oh baby, I am [i]enjoying[/i] this bass :D

Being able to dial in the Piezo for some numbers that suit it is a joy.

Edited by cybertect